UGA Vs UF

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
N

NGL780309

Just had the pleasure of attending this meet and I've got to say, "WOW"! Florida looked amazing. They really might do it this year. Georgia was very unimpressive and the beam scoring was so bad that it was embarassing.

I was there as well, and while Florida WAS amazing (that's why they're #1), Georgia did improve over their last couple outings. The beam had some struggles, and Shayla was fortunate to only score a 9.725 with that fall. She could have gotten seriously hurt!! Kat Ding looked amazing on bars, and Hillary was awesome on floor. I was glad to see Cassidy finally get it all together and score great on floor, too.

The scores were low, but I don't think they were embarrassing. When you fall, you lose .5 right off the top. Noel had a bad night. If Caylan were not hurt, I believe we would see amazing things from her--looking forward to her competing next year. She was incredible at the Sneak Peek.

Here are the beam scores: Noel Couch - 9.775; Lindsey Cheek - 9.825; Christa Tanella - 9.775; Hilary Mauro - 9.9; Shayla Worley - 9.725; Cassidy McComb - 9.8
Not embarrassing, but not up to what we are used to seeing from the Gymdogs in the past. Of course, you can't beat 4 9.9's or higher on floor by Florida. They were really good.

We enjoyed ourselves even with the loss. I know Georgia is going through some trying times. It's hard when there's a coaching change and following in the footsteps of some great gymnasts like Courtney and Courtney, Tiffany, Grace, & Katie has got to be very hard and a lot of pressure and expectations. I know when our club changed owners, it took 3 years to get adjusted to the new way of doing things. So it has to be hard to adjust from 25 years of Suzanne to Jay. It'll all work out, it just may take a few years. And the Gymdog nation is an impatient group, to say the least. But they are already doing better than they did last year.

I think she meant the scores were embarrassingly inaccurate, which is the fault of the judges and certainly not the gymnasts. Georgia got a few gifts.

Yes that is I think she meant, because on a few site they have said that the scoring was embarrasing. Meaning Georgia got a break on a few things.

I think she meant the scores were embarrassingly inaccurate, which is the fault of the judges and certainly not the gymnasts. Georgia got a few gifts.

Yes, that's what I meant. There were more than just a few gifts. They were very, very overscored on beam. Shayla's score was just crazy. You can't fall and score a 9.725. The one judge who originally flashed a 9.450 was correct. I'm glad Shayla was okay. Tanella had many breaks and received a generous score. Cassidy had a big break on her punch front and got a 9.9 from the head judge. The other judge's 9.7 was appropriate. I also thought floor had some iffy scores. Tanella in particular had 2 rough/sloppy landings and scores a 9.825.

I'm a fan of good gymnastics and it's not good for this sport to see cheating. Home teams always get a few extra tenths here and there. It's a part of NCAA. This was on a different level. The meet is archived and go watch if you haven't seen it.

I wished we had those judges at my dd's meets! When you can fall off the beam and get a huge score like that you know that the judge is whacked! The Florida girls did a great job and the Gymdogs got some serious freebies. Florida will win in the end though!

One of those judges, I believe, is the owner of our gym and she is an excellent judge...she is often called on to judge the really "high stake" meets because she is that good.

One of those judges, I believe, is the owner of our gym and she is an excellent judge...she is often called on to judge the really "high stake" meets because she is that good.

Well hopefully she wasn't the judge who awarded a 9.75 to a beam routine with a fall. A fall, as we all know, is a 0.5 deduction. Even in NCAA it is impossible to make that math work!

I wished we had those judges at my dd's meets! When you can fall off the beam and get a huge score like that you know that the judge is whacked! The Florida girls did a great job and the Gymdogs got some serious freebies. Florida will win in the end though!

And win they did! they were winning from the first rotation. As to that score, "WHAT!!!??" = our reaction at the time. I was sitting with a level 10 and a level 9 and we were like ????? How do you fall and get a 9.7?? One girl suggested she didn't fall, just landed really low, but I was sure she fell. When my dd falls, she gets an 8, no matter how awesome the rest of her routine is. But then on floor, Shayla was really good, I thought one of the best routines, and she got a 9.6. Did not understand that, no falls, no stumbles. Could not figure that one out.

Just to clarify, she didn't fall off the beam, she slipped going into her dismount, went crooked, landed crooked and off balance, and pitched forward, touching (I believe) her knees to the mat and almost hitting her head on the beam. Her fall was on her dismount landing, not off the beam. Splitting hairs, but for someone who didn't see it they might think she had a fall during the routine, but it was her dismount landing. Maybe she got a lot of bonus to make up for the .5?

Sue Ammerman was the head judge for beam and awarded the impossible 9.75. There was a huge lunge forward on landing with a heavily piked dismount with crossed feet on twisting and legs apart. Even a nice judge could not possibly have given more than 9.5. There were two judges on beam, 9.8 was the average. Judge 1 gave her a 9.7 and Judge 2 a 9.9

You can watch the entire meet here, the routine that is being so hugely slammed vis a vis scoring is at 1:16.50 ish. But the feed is choppy.

Sounds like they all were generous then...maybe they saw something everyone else missed. Maybe? I will have to check it out, not that I would know anything different.

I will look again. they werent up yesterday
I didnt find them. they are at around 1:15(hour fifteen minutes) in the videos

I haven't seen this meet yet(playing in the background) but, but I did watch a florida meet last night that I tivo'd and BOY was I impressed(as a Seminole I was leary of anything to do with the Gators). No wonder these ladies are number one, they rocked!!

Just to add to the discussion about Shayla's routine, her knee also touched down on the dismount.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back