WAG Ughh endurance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
I just can't, all last year I struggled with this. Didn't make a single floor routine in practice or meets (no joke, fell every time) and now my coach wants harder routines. I understand, I want a harder routine, don't get me wrong. I just can't get the endurance to get it. All the running and aerobic work in the world doesn't help. I can push through running, jumping, climbing, etc. I cannot do a double layout dismount on bars, a double tuck last pass... I can do the skills individually, I just can't do them at the end. I get exhausted! I fear landing on my head and getting hurt. I am really just to physically tired by the end.

What can I do!?

I know exactly how you feel as I finish with those skills too. What helps is doing lots of half routines, and then reducing the break you have in between them.
After that you could do full routines but without the dismount or last tumble, have a little rest(10-30 seconds) and do it.
Then progress to full routines and have your coach spot your double back, and do just a normal flyaway or a double tuck dismount off bars, and when you don't feel as exhausted at the end go for a full routine.
Also I realised the more repetitions I do before meets is very important, and I found that doing 3 floor routines a practice won't give me enough training and I need more like 5.
Don't worry though, it will come eventually- I didn't get through a whole bar routine until about a week till my last meet, and the one before that I didn't get through any.
Also you said the running doesn't help, maybe try changing the program. When you get home in the evening, or at the gym if possible, spend 15 minutes doing jog for 30 seconds and then sprint for a minute. This helped me more than just running at a constant pace for 20 minutes.
Good luck :)

Routine endurance is trained mainly by doing lots of routines or as GymnastFlip said, half routines.

You have to get used to connecting skills in series rather than just working parts.

You can also train specific endurance in a high intensity circuit. Since routines are roughly 30-90 seconds, train with a few different exercises ALL GO for that time period. Allow 2-3 minutes of rest and train anywhere from 3-6 rounds. Start off with 3 and try to progress to 5 then 7 or so.

Something like

Shuttle runs

Floor sprint to corner, do press handstands or back tucks, etc. Sprint to another corner, hold an L-sit or HS.

[video=youtube;fHdCN3DG-SI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHdCN3DG-SI[/video]

[video=youtube;f-Y16IKCAQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Y16IKCAQk[/video]

So for bars, you might do pullovers or kip series, then hanging leg lifts, then cast HS, then tap swing 1/2 turns, then clear hip 1/2s, etc.

Beam Jumps, then BWO/CW/BHS, HS hold, turns, etc

Don't need to worry about it for Vault.

Still routine endurance is best trained by ENOUGH routines. Do a routine on one set of bars, come off and go do it again on another set of bars.

Or 1/2 routine, slight rest, 1/2 routine.

Thank you for the suggestions! I can't go to another bar set as we are only allowed to stay on one set (the others are set differently for different girls). My coach won't spot... :/

How come your coach won't spot? My coach doesn't normally spot but does give a tap on our last tumbles. Is there anyone else that can spot? They just need to tap you as you can already do the double back.

I really think you need to talk to your coach then. Explain that you don't have the endurance, so can he spot while you try to build it up?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back