WAG Unitards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
We got our unitards the other day. For the most part, they aren't too bad. I was freaking out at first because they really don't fit on several of our girls. I am going to send those back for alterations. They really are pretty though.

We had our mock meet today and they looked okay. It is what it is. I tried to not make them too long. They sort of look more like 60s bathing suits! I don't think they will stick out like a sore thumb.
10801744_10202003095713894_5901537965599459079_n.jpg

Okay not to be disrespectful and I wasn't going to reply to this thread,,,, but one must ask,,,,, What country do you coach in and why a unitard? And yes the sizing is going to be a problem, I can see three of the kids leos look to be two sizes too big.

Right here in the good old USA. Our GO insisted on it. I'm not going to rehash it again. The girl standing in first and the one in third are going back for resizing.

Well not much you can do if the GO insists..... But it really is going to make them stand out....

Just curious, do they have a panel insert at the crotch (like a rectangle that goes down the legs)? Did they put elastic at the legs openings?

Did they end up getting made to measurements or set sizes?

No to the panel, yes to the elastic, yes to the custom. A few of them are too long and they bunch up around the crotch area. Those are the ones that are getting adjusted.

I wonder if the owner would (having now seen them) be OK with just a lowered hip leotard? Admittedly I'm not seeing them in real life, but they kind of just look like the lowered hips rather than legs.

I have made my DD both normal leotards and unitards and if making to measurements it *shouldn't* be harder to fit than a normal one.

Admittedly, I'm not sewing for a curvy girl. I use Jalie patterns which have an insert at the crotch which reduces the strain when they're in middle splits and presumably helps with the fit and has a seam down the back. That pattern doesn't have elastic at the legs and because of that there can be gape issues if the legs are short (which is why some people in the other thread were saying to get good undies). I had thought about putting in elastic at the legs but was worried that that would just make them ride up the legs and they'd stop looking like shorts.

From the original pictures I thought they would look more like shorts. Other teams will soon get used to them don't worry.

I think they look great. Glad these girls get the chance to compete.

(which is why some people in the other thread were saying to get good undies)..
The undies was also because unitards can have worse wedgie issues than leotards. Good undies will smooth things out in the back.

Reactions: COz
I chimed in on your original post and I will again. I like them! Sometimes moving away from the status quo is a good thing.

Other than a few looking perhaps a tad baggy/loose/long in the torso(?) (hard to tell from just these pics), I think they came out well and are flattering overall. They do just look like a modest cut leo - kinda like the line of men's competitive swim bottoms. They are shorter than I'd imagined from the previous thread. Maybe you'll start a trend!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back