MAG Upcoming competitions-how are the boys doing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
This is my first post in this forum-I have been reading and learning-thank you everyone in this group for posting-it helps to hear from other parents with similar experiences to share.

My ds has his first meet the first weekend of December-working on level 6 skills. Last year was his first year competing (L5)after doing many years of recreational classes. He is 13 and trains 12 hours a week. The L6 skills are a big jump from L5. Just got his uprise and false scissors last week. :)

My son's first meet is this month.

He is a 6 year old level 4 and he has all of his bonuses with the exception of his back handspring. He can get over every time, but it's not quite competition ready.

He is so excited and I'm anxious to see what a meet is like.

Good Luck to him at his first level 4 meet!

It is fun to watch the level 4's as they perform their first routines-often peeking over at the coaches-we have a little level 4 on our team-his first meet went great! And the level 4's in our region all get an envelope with ribbons/and a medal at the awards. Hope he has fun...

For you- Bring a seat cushion/folding chair just in case seating is tight, and something to read/and a few dollars in case the host gym charges a nominal entrance fee at the door-not uncommon in our area.

My DS had his first meet-it was long! only 3 judges- 530pm check in-1 hour warmup-3 groups competed floor/pommel/rings then parallel bars/high bar/vault-then awards- finished at 10pm!.

He had a lot of butterflies-but it went well, no major crashes.

2 more meets for December coming up.

10pm, that is crazy. I thought our comp this year was bad finishing at 8.30pm!

That would be really hard if there were 6yo's competing until 10pm!

I am curious Lee. When you say 1 hour warm up, do they warm up on all of the apparatus first and then go back and compete? What does the one hour warm up involve.

When we go to comp we have approx 20 mins warm up on floor. Then we go to rotations. On each apparatus each person gets one run through of their routine, and then they compete (usually in American warmup style).

The boys "check in" at 530pm as a team, then everyone "warms up" on the floor, and then divides to run through one time on each apparatus, there were 4 gyms at this meet, level 4-6 and about 54 boys.

After the warm up the 1st 3 events are cycled through by 3 groups, then the last 3 events-then awards....having only 3 judges makes it a long meet.

Thank goodness it was a Saturday night!

The next meet we have will be "modified capital cup" format-as you described in your post-check in a 3pm-do your floor "warm up" then at 330pm 1 practice run on the apparatus, then compete on the same apparatus-this moves much quicker, and there will be 6 judges-makes a huge difference!

How many meets in a month do your boys participate in? Do you have to travel far?

My ds9 has his first meet (level4) in january. He is very nervous. We have never been to a boys meet, so this is brand new to all of us. We are travelling to Las Vegas for it, too...about 6 hrs away for us.
He's never even done a practice meet, and I'm hoping maybe they do one in house before we go all the way up there for this meet. They did that for the girls, and it helped a LOT!! ( my dd7 competed level 4 this fall)I heard the scoring is very different for the boys than for the girls, so I'm pretty sure I am going to be clueless! lol.
Good luck to all your sons this season!

Definitely ask the coach for a practice meet!

If you can't have a practice meet, it may be helpful if you can attend a local boys meet just to watch how it works. Are there any meets scheduled closer to your home gym?

It is similar to the girls as far as checking in, warming up and stretching, and the the event warmups are either done all at once in groups or a practice run right before the judged performance.

If your son can perform all of his basic compulsory skills on each event without a lot of reminding from the coach-he will do fine. If he is still learning his routines-the coach will be nearby to help guide and spot him as needed-and he will still do fine! Lots of high fives with the level 4's!

Good luck in Vegas-please post his progress...I really like this forum!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back