WAG Update on my gymmie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stacy

Proud Parent
My daughter fractured bone in right elbow and broke both bones in left forearm in December.Left was reset and rod put in last month.We had rod removed last week.So far so good on that arm.Today we check on right elbow.Last xray was Jan 5th and everything looked good.However today's X-ray shows bones has shifted in opposite direction and will need permanent pin put in.We will do this end of February once other arm is out of cast.Third cast after surgery for three weeks!!!She is so sad.She can't catch a break at all.I think both of us are so over all of this!!!!

Oh no! poor kid. :-( I know from experience with my own kids how hopes can get up that injuries are finally healing and then you get slapped with a setback. It is so disappointing. I hope that her recovery turns around and speeds up!

Oh my goodness, poor girl! I hope she recovers quickly and completely!

Sorry to hear about the setback :(. Hope the rest of her recovery goes smoothly. Thanks for the update. Keep us updated.

poor kid - what no gymmie wants to hear. i hope she heals quickly and finds her groove just as quickly once back in the gym full time

poor kid - what no gymmie wants to hear. i hope she heals quickly and finds her groove just as quickly once back in the gym full time
Thank you.Right now she feels like there's no end in sight.Afraid to get our hopes up about anything until both arms are out of the woods.Dr. won't allow anything in the gym so coming back will be tough.Shes discouraged and I'm not sure what to say or do to help.I try not to bring it up but she will sometimes.

Again, I with her a quick and easy recovery. Also, as someone pointed out to me, it's hard on the parents too. Hang in there, we're pulling for you/your dd. :)

she feels like there's no end in sight
My dd's fractured her elbow earlier this month. Her fracture was not nearly as bad as what you've described but she felt the same way. I wonder if a variation of what I did for my dd would be helpful. (You've had some setbacks so it might not be as straightforward for you.)

I created a wall calendar marking when she had her accident. On the calendar (now on her wall) I'm marked off the date of her accident, all of the follow-up appointments and the dates for milestones (for example when she could get re-casted (she was looking forward to a pink cast), out of cast, when she will hopefully have her mobility back, strength, when she can return to her activities. For items that are a date-range I used an the mid-date (then if it's earlier I can tell her she's ahead of schedule).

I even stuck a few non-related items on her calendar (like a family vacation). It's been really helpful. Also, it helps to remind her how far she's come and that she's on the mend.

I'm not sure if this would help but would it be helpful for her to go to the gym to watch a practice or meets just to stay connected with her teammates?

Again, I with her a quick and easy recovery. Also, as someone pointed out to me, it's hard on the parents too. Hang in there, we're pulling for you/your dd. :)

My dd's fractured her elbow earlier this month. Her fracture was not nearly as bad as what you've described but she felt the same way. I wonder if a variation of what I did for my dd would be helpful. (You've had some setbacks so it might not be as straightforward for you.)

I created a wall calendar marking when she had her accident. On the calendar (now on her wall) I'm marked off the date of her accident, all of the follow-up appointments and the dates for milestones (for example when she could get re-casted (she was looking forward to a pink cast), out of cast, when she will hopefully have her mobility back, strength, when she can return to her activities. For items that are a date-range I used an the mid-date (then if it's earlier I can tell her she's ahead of schedule).

I even stuck a few non-related items on her calendar (like a family vacation). It's been really helpful. Also, it helps to remind her how far she's come and that she's on the mend.

I'm not sure if this would help but would it be helpful for her to go to the gym to watch a practice or meets just to stay connected with her teammates?
Thank you.She has gone to a couple practices.Its helped some.Im not sure how she would feel about going to her teams meets after this recent setback.I think the calendar could help unless we get more bad news or another "delay."I'll consider doing it in a couple weeks if the cast she's in now gets to come off in two weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back