WAG Urgent: Unsafe Coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastisism

Coach
Proud Parent
I was going to put this in the coaches forum, but I thought I would get more input here for all different points of views.

What does one do about unsafe and under-qualified coaches? Some how I'm working with a very under qualified gymnastics coach, i.e does not have a certificate in gymnastics coaching and has never coached gymnastics, however is much older than me and puts themselves in an authoritative position (not HC or Club owner or anything, but as a "senior coach").

This person did not know what spotting was and did not know the proper technique for a backwards roll and had to ask a teenager for clarification. I watched the 'coach' instruct poor technique that was very cringe worthy and didn't know what a 'hurdle', roundoff or flat back was. I watched the coach attempt to instruct a beginner on a handstand forward roll in which the gymnasts landed very hard on their back and they were instructed to get back up and try again where they fell very hard on their back again.

I'm not sure how to approach this topic as this coach has instructed me not to talk during training sessions (although I do bud in and grab the gymnast or call things out because I find it very hard to stand by and watch poor and improper technique be taught). I'm not in any position of authority - I suppose I'm at the bottom of the coaching ladder at this gym, but I appear to be the most qualified. i.e I actually have coaching qualifications.

What should I do?

I'm not sure I'd call this person a 'coach.' What is he even doing there, and how did he become a 'coach'?? I'm afraid I'd have to question the owner/hc for even hiring someone like that, unless they were taking him under their wing and teaching him from the ground up for some reason. I agree with above, that you need to talk to someone higher up and see what the thinking (if there was any) behind hiring this person, and if they are aware of his abilities or lack there of......... Good luck with this. :)

That's easy, go to the HC and ask that this person shadow you for a a few weeks while you teach them. Done

Go to the owner. I assume the Owners business is valuble to them and they would not want to loose it by using non qualified people.....
scary....I hope you have someone you can go to.

Well it's great this guy wants to get involved I suppose,, but he definitely needs to be paired up with someone who knows what they are doing.You have to voice your concerns v

Yes, as others have said, though it may be uncomfortable due to your junior position, please say something to the head coach/owner such as,
"I really like "Jerry", and I think he can become a great coach. Because we all value gymnast safety above all, I feel obligated to share with you that there have been some instances where inexperience in teaching a particular technique might become a safety concern. For example, I was observing Jerry teaching the handstand-forward-roll...[describe situation]. I would be happy to help teach him the proper technique if you think that is appropriate. I am approaching you because I want to be respectful to Jerry and I want to respect the previous instruction to me to not talk during the sessions. What do you suggest? How can I help?"

If your head coach/owner has any brain at all, they will listen to you openly, and work with you and "Jerry" to improve his skills and the safety of the gym.

As you are in Australia there are certain rules in place that are being broken.

1. No one is permitted to 'coach' any gymnast in Australia without at least a beginners coaching certificate. They can have an assistants role and do things like move equipment but they can not give any gymnast coaching advice.

2. If they have a beginners certificate only, then they can only coach when they are being directly supervised by a qualified supervising coach. The supervisor must be on the floor at all times and have no more than three beginner coaches under their supervision at all times.

3. Beginner coaches may coach supervised only up to about a level 2-3 standard (depends on the gymsport).

4. A coach must hold an intermediate coaches certificate to be able to coach independently without supervision. But these coaches may only coach lower levels (up to about level 2-3 depending on the gymsport) and they may not coach any salto skills.

5. Coaches must hold an advanced coaching certificate to coach any salto skills and to coach more intermediate levels. Ie 4-6.

As these are requirements for any club to be registered with gymnastics Australia you could anonymously complain to gymnastics Australia.

Thanks for the help, everybody. I'm not sure how this person was hired, maybe they mislead the owners in some way?

As you are in Australia there are certain rules in place that are being broken.

1. No one is permitted to 'coach' any gymnast in Australia without at least a beginners coaching certificate. They can have an assistants role and do things like move equipment but they can not give any gymnast coaching advice.

2. If they have a beginners certificate only, then they can only coach when they are being directly supervised by a qualified supervising coach. The supervisor must be on the floor at all times and have no more than three beginner coaches under their supervision at all times.

3. Beginner coaches may coach supervised only up to about a level 2-3 standard (depends on the gymsport).

4. A coach must hold an intermediate coaches certificate to be able to coach independently without supervision. But these coaches may only coach lower levels (up to about level 2-3 depending on the gymsport) and they may not coach any salto skills.

5. Coaches must hold an advanced coaching certificate to coach any salto skills and to coach more intermediate levels. Ie 4-6.

As these are requirements for any club to be registered with gymnastics Australia you could anonymously complain to gymnastics Australia.

Thanks for clarifying, I thought this was the case. I'll speak to one of the other coaches about this when I'm in tomorrow and if that doesn't help then I guess I'll have to tip off gymnastics Australia.

This is very weird, how on earth did they get a job as a senior coach? And telling you not to talk during training sessions is also weird. You need to talk to the gym management, there's something really off here.

I'm curious as to why you would go to another coach and then to Gymnastics Australia without speaking to the club owner? Is there a reason you're not comfortable talking to upper management first?

I say that because I would be livid and hurt if an employee didn't feel they could bring their concerns to me. Especially since you may not be privy to all the facts regarding this hire. (You may be. Don't know and not assuming.)

Becauseisaid, things are not the same in Australia as the US. These are common knowledge laws and if these laws are being broken the gym is not covered by insurance.

The gym owner is aware of every coaches qualifications and of what the rules are regarding hiring coaches. For this to be happening the rules are deliberately being broken by the gym owner.

Gymnastics Australia won't shut them down or fine them or anything like that. They will simply investigate the situation without informing the gym that there was a complaint and help the gym to become compliant.

I'm curious as to why you would go to another coach and then to Gymnastics Australia without speaking to the club owner? Is there a reason you're not comfortable talking to upper management first?

I say that because I would be livid and hurt if an employee didn't feel they could bring their concerns to me. Especially since you may not be privy to all the facts regarding this hire. (You may be. Don't know and not assuming.)

that^^^

There are no grey areas in the law when it comes to coaching gymnastics in Australia. Without a cohes certificate you are not allowed to do it. Period.

Wow, definitely go talk to your HC about the issue! I couldn't care less about someone's age if he or she threatened a gymnast's health!

Wish we had a coaching system with the laws Aussie_coach mentioned here. Too many incompetent coaches everywhere around me.

There are no grey areas in the law when it comes to coaching gymnastics in Australia. Without a cohes certificate you are not allowed to do it. Period.

I get that. I just wonder if the OP knows absolutely that the coach has no certificate or is going off rumor and assumption.

That doesn't excuse bad or dangerous coaching, but makes this a training issue rather than a compliance issue.

Wow, definitely go talk to your HC about the issue! I couldn't care less about someone's age if he or she threatened a gymnast's health!

Wish we had a coaching system with the laws Aussie_coach mentioned here. Too many incompetent coaches everywhere around me.
Unfortunately a coaching certificate does not mean they aren't incompetent. But it's very regulated.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back