WAG Urgent: Unsafe Coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This person did not know what spotting was and did not know the proper technique for a backwards roll ... didn't know what a 'hurdle', roundoff or flat back was.

I don't see how someone could get a gymnastics coaching certificate and not know any of these things. Either the course is not much good, or this coach slept through it! But I am curious as to how the OP noticed this lack of knowledge, I mean did this coach actually come out and say "er...what's a roundoff?"

I don't see how someone could get a gymnastics coaching certificate and not know any of these things. Either the course is not much good, or this coach slept through it! But I am curious as to how the OP noticed this lack of knowledge, I mean did this coach actually come out and say "er...what's a roundoff?"

After observing the first session when I met them for the first time I asked the coach what their qualifications were/what education they had on the sport and 'gymnastics coaching certificate' was not one of them. On my first session with them I said they should start training roundoffs with some of the younger girls and the coach replied "Which are round offs? The ones with the legs together?" and was also talking about cartwheel entrys to back handsprings. They also didn't know the difference between the uneven bars and the high bar.

It sounds like you're dealing with someone who's a complete fraud, if not worse! I definitely would be making a major to-do about the issue before this coach spent one more SECOND with a child.

Is English their first language? It couldn't be a translation issue that they just don't know what the terms are in English?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back