Parents using deodorant a required skill?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't disapprove of having all kids have deodorant and encouraging them to use it when needed. I would just warn against a lot of spraying and especially the poster who said they spray regularly during the session. Before the session should be enough. My asthmatic daughter was very sensitive to sprays when she was younger , walking past someone with strong perfume would set her off. Hair spray and glitter spray at competitions would set her off and deodorant spray would also set her off if a big cloud. Just a thought. Weirdly chalk dust didn't set her off which was lucky lol.

Can someone recommend a good non-chemical one? I'd like to be prepared... I think we are on a brink.
I posted above that we love Arm & Hammer Essentials Deodorant with Natural Deodorizers- Fresh Scent. It doesn't have aluminum, parabens, or triloscan. It's pretty inexpensive and I get it at our Walmart Neighborhood Market. I think it works really well for not being an anitperspirant!

Luckily, most people here seem to understand that coaches most likely do this to not just talk to one or two girls and tell those 'They smell bad', cause that might make those girls feel really uncomfortable. Someone once told me when I was young and I remember that for years, as soon as I had sweat, I would try to keep my arms down... My friend works as a coach for girls on the highest levels and because of all the funds we have here, even children that come from a less fortunate family can train. Last time I visited, they had a girl training about 16 hours a week, who only had 3 leotards. For a long time it wasn't really an issue, but by that time it started to be, since she started to 'smell' a bit more. My friend asked for advice, since the coaches felt like they should not say 'buy another leo' or 'you smell', but they did want to address the problem. I offered to buy her one or two leos, but we ended up having a conversation about leotards with all the girls at the end of the lesson and the girl told the other girls that her mom tried to wash them after each practice, but 'they don't always dry in time'. We did not once mention that she smelled bad or anything, nor that I was about to buy her more leos, conversation just popped up because of a new leo someone was wearing. After the girl told her story, one of the older girls ran off and asked her mom if she could give some of the leotards she didn't fit anymore. Problem solved, but I still remember her coaches feeling bad since they did want to address the issue, but didn't know how to without offending anyone.

As a coach, I give the deodorant speech once or twice a year. Use something that is all natural, I don’t care about sweat only odor. Now let’s think out how many skills has my face right by your child’s under arm.
Floor- walkovers, handsprings, back tuck drills
Beam- handstands, walkovers, back handsprings, back tucks, layout step-outs
Bars- casting, clear hips, giants, overshoots
Vault- everything

Please put deodorant on your child.

Meh, that is a non-issue for me but I respect you if you feel differently. Older DDs ballet mistress gave the “deodorant speech” at the time they hit a certain level (generally around age 10-12). Wasn’t an issue for my kid at the time but it didn’t bother me. Gymmie DDs Coach is male and less inclined to give hygiene tips to tween/teen girls for obvious reasons... but the girls are wishing he would. There is one teen girl on team who refuses to wear deodorant but instead sprays herself liberally with body spray. In the locker room. Choking all the other girls out. DD tells me the other girls all hate it but feel embarrassed to ask her to just use deodorant... so, to be honest I don’t feel like it is a bad thing for coaches/teachers to remind everyone that personal hygiene is important and here is how we make everything more pleasant for everyone at gym..! I don’t flinch at having any female hygiene or undergarment discussion with my athletes but I will admit that my male co-coach is more than happy to let me deal with it, lol!

My guess is the coach doesn't want to single out one particular person. If your daughter doesn't smell I wouldn't worry about it. But I would just tell your daughter to tell him - thats not the brand I use but thank you for offering.
I wouldn't make a big deal about it. Someone on the team must have a little issue and he's trying to be polite .
Can you imagine working with someone that closely that smells. I can't.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back