WAG Using Technology in Training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tomtnt

Proud Parent
Any thoughts on whether tech tools such as "coaches' eye" or instant replay system are useful in training? Doesn't seem like many gyms have these systems in use. Does your gym routinely make use of technology for training? how about remote coaching with sending videos to more experienced coaches for advice and critique?

In other sports such as golf, baseball, olympic weightlifting, these tools are routinely used. There is also a large demand for remote coaching and video analysis.

My dd is only a level 4 and I have not personally seen them use any sort of technology with their group. But I do know they have some kind of video monitor and recording system in the bars area. I have no idea exactly how it works/what it does, but my dd said they use it some for the optional girls.

I use the Technique app on my iPad pretty much every single day. Even if I'm not taking a video, I'll use it to show the girls proper technique, as well as improper technique and how it can cause problems. I also regularly watch and re-watch videos for my own educational purposes. I have more than two thousand videos on that app. That's specifically why I bought the largest size iPad.

It's incredibly useful technology, especially for gymnastics. I can't imagine not having it!

the technlogy im aware of them using includes a video with instant replay on vault and ipads and iphones for replaying other events. not sure if they send videos to ther coaches or not but they do use them to let gymnasts see themselves.

one of my old coaches used Coaches Eye. It was pretty helpful once they understood how to use it. My new coach uses her iPhone and does slomo, to show us corrections. It also helps her see where we might be going wrong, for example on vault if they are spotting they can't always see what we are doing because of there angle (underneath/next to us.

We have video cameras on all 4 events recording continuously with some sort of delay in broadcasting(guessing 30 seconds) so they can watch themselves. They can rewind and fast forward as necessary. They also record on phones and iPad and send to parents when something really exciting happens and the kid asks.

DDs coach uses his I pad or phone with some gymnastics app on it, not sure which one. He uses it with her multiple times each practice to show her good and bad things in her skills. It's been great for her to have a visual when she can't yet quite feel the differences.

Can anyone explain what technology / tools is/are involved with the video replay system? Is it off the shelf or a bunch of components expertly connected together? It seems that a continuous loop system (vs one where you have to rewind yourself) would be better to avoid distraction and delay, no? And is there a way to have a monitor in the parent viewing area, just for fun, without a lot of added complexity? Finally, how do you protect the electronics from getting ruined by chalk?

TIA!

One of the parents went to Radio Shack and asked, they got some old T Vo 's and bought some cameras and Tv's and hooked it up. Done. I think the total coast for our 4 TV's , 4 TVO's and cameras was only a few thousand dollars. Or you can have it professionally done for 25K. :)

The gym I train and work at use iPads for the register and recreational badge testing program. And we also have an iPad pro which we use to film the gymnasts doing moves to then play it back to them as we give them corrections so they can see the problems themselves. This also helps because we can get the second coach with the group or an older gymnast (when using with the elites/squad) to video if we are spotting so we can see the whole move too :)

Not really as a standard but I have seen (and done) phone/iPad taping of moves to problem check frequently. It's helpful to the gymnasts to SEE what we are talking about sometimes... "see how you start flexing your foot right THERE in your BWO even though you think it's pointed the whole way?" :)

Yes...it is very important. We have two iPads and two iPod Touches for the team. Planning on getting video delay systems soon. Send videos to others quite often.

Our coach does not make use of any recording or playback for the girls. It's a point of contention for me. My dd is a very visual learner and has had a-ha moments both times she got to see a slowmo video (from another gymnast) of an issue she was trying to correct.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back