Parents Volunteering at the meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IreneKa

Proud Parent
This is the first year we are going to help out at the meet our gym is hosting. We need to tell them which area we would like to help at. So, the question to those who've done it before. What job do you prefer? Anything to stay away from? Any other advice?
Thanks!

I personally like scoring table responsibilities. My DD likes to work the concession stand though! What are your options?

I like to be in the gym. Concessions are usually outside the gym. So, I don't like doing them. The scoring table is my favorite too. I don't like timing warm ups. Some coaches ask for extensions or go over. I don't like to say no or tell them to stop. So, I prefer not to do it. I also was in charge of the march in. Eighty girls come out at once and I have to line them up. Many are not paying attention. They all talk to me at the same time. I am not a loud mouth and do not like bossing people around. So, this was challenging to me.

Thanks guys!
The choices are Music, Scoring, Awards, Concessions, and Events. Anyone's ever done awards? That sounds like fun.
Also, do you bring your child with you when you volunteer, if she is not competing that day? Would a 9 year old be able to help out?

Check with the meet organizers. They'll let you know if your child can help. I've used 7-9 year olds to hand out medals in awards. They love doing it and with adult supervision, they are great.

I love timing any event. Bar and vault timing is awesome. You time a chunk, then you sit back and enjoy gymnastics up close and get to hear fun judge commentary. On beam you're always timing something so you have to concentrate a little more. Depending on the floor warm-up format too, sometimes you can have extra responsibilities (if they do the warm-up between routines style). Also doing the music on floor can be stressful, especially at optional meets.

Awards is more stressful than you would think because of the time crunch. By the time you get the stickers to place on the back of the awards (if that's the way your gym does it), people have usually been waiting for a while for awards to begin. You've gotta move quickly, but it's still fun.

My daughter has been competing since 7 and she's always been able to help out at the meets doing something. The best is usually dolling them up in their warm-up and sending them out to sell raffle tickets. Adorable kids always sell more. Also they usually can help with awards.

Once I got to sit by the judges and punch in the scores and time warm ups. The judges weren't exactly fun to talk to (they had a job to do), but I got to sit close to the action and watch the meet!

I would avoid awards unless you like stress and can work quickly under stress. Although it is a lot easier and quicker if you have enough people helping out. Scoring is fun, and depending on how it's done, you could be entering or flashing the scores. Whatever job you do will be a fun learning experience.

I did beam warm up timing last year and I liked it. I had to be on some coaches to get going already, but for the most part it was good. I prefer to be on my feet anyway, and I was! Non stop for the whole weekend. I had a lot of time to analyze leotards too - up close and personal - some gyms do a really bad job picking leos LOL.

Got it! No awards. LOL
I'll say scores or events. I'd love to be on the floor and watch gymnastics up close. :)

My favorite is to time the events. Floor is really easy to time and all you have to do is tell the judge if they go over time. Beam can be a little stressful to time if you haven't done it before. I've been our meet coordinator for the past 3 years, and awards are stressful.

I've worked at our gym's huge (1200+ gymnasts) meet for three years now, and done every job - registration, warm-up timer, event timer, score enterer, runner, judge's hospitality, awards.

The best job by far is entering scores. You get to sit at the judges' table and watch the routines. Then all you have to do is enter the scores into the computer. We do all our awards (counting them out for each session/age group and labeling the backs for event and placement) ahead of time, so that's a good job too.

Timing floor and bars is easy, as well - there wasn't really anything to do. Timing beam is a little more intense, though.

I like to do concessions and gymnast check-in :). I love wishing the girls good luck and congratulating them when they come to get snacks after! I have done warm-up timing on many of the events, and that's easy. I don't like being in charge of event timing or entering scores, though. It makes me nervous!

Today I helped setup concessions and admissions, moved some mats around and did some security before the first session started. Tomorrow, I work the first session (need to be there at 730am) as a floater. And then two sessions later, I get to watch DD compete. After the meet is over (around 9pm), I'll help teardown and reset the gym for Monday. There's a lot of great parent bonding. And damn that tumble track is heavy!

It's all easy...music is the worst for me...but still easy.

If you get a chance to help the judges...do it!!! Such an eye opener!!! Otherwise, everything is helpful, and you will feel useful wherever you are!! Good luck!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back