Weighing options in changing gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aamake

Proud Parent
As I have posted before, one of our awesome coaches is leaving to start his own gym. My little one had a so-so season competing level 5 last year under his coaching. (She was young & had only been in gymnastics for less than 2 years.) Current gym says she is ready to move to level 6, but coach that is leaving says he thinks she should stay level 5 and have an awesome season. We are torn whether to change gyms, and one thing that is bothering me is the number of hours. Current gym works out levels 5 and 6 for 16 hours per week. New gym level 5 is 9 hours and level 6 is 12 hours. How many hours per week do most gymnasts these compulsory levels go? Is it going to hurt my daughter to go from 16 hours a week to only 9?

There is so many factors when deciding to change gyms.
First of all, if it's a new gym, you don't know how well it will hold up? If you move, the gym doesn't do well, and you come back, how would that make the old gym feel?
I would also consider the distance to each gym as well as price.
As for repeating a level, does he want her to stay level 5 just because he wants her to do a good season, or because she isn't showing she has the skills for level 6? If she is getting the skills for level 6, I would say compete level 6.
Hours is a tricky topic. Some coaches will say 16 is fine, others will say it's too much. Does she spend a lot of time in practice goofing off? Then it would be fine to switch to 9, as long as she works more. Is she always tired due too gymnastics? Then it's probably best at 9 hours. If she works, but doesn't get too tired, 16 is better because she gets more practice

I would let her move up (or at least train L6) If she isn't ready when its competition season they will let you know and recommend she compete as a L5. What is a so-so season for you? Having the "awsome season" does help if your DD thinks she isn't good and needs some self esteem otherwise I would move her up.

As far as changing gyms goes, you need to think why are you changing gyms? just to follow this other coach? Are you unhappy with the training? Is your DD unhappy? Is the gym doing something that really rubs you the wrong way?

The hours you listed at your current gym are about average in my area for L5 and L6. The lower hours you listed some of the gyms in our area do have but they tend to be the gyms that don't place high in scores. If you are measuring success by scores (which I don't recommend as your only measure) then usually more hours is better. Alot will depend on your DD and how she is at practice. Is she one that likes to socialize at practice or one that is just so focused she is a work horse?

You know your DD best but I would start by asking your DD if she wants to move up or repeat the level and If she wants to move gyms or not. At 9yo her thoughts should be considered too.

9 hours with a good coach is better than 16 with an average coach.

Totally agree with the above. You should also look at the overall coaching staff at the new gym and ask a few questions like: Who will be the main coach for that level? Will she have access to mutliple coaches? How does that new gym tend to do at meets? How big is their team? What is the culture like?

There is more to it than just the number of hours. Good luck with your decision!

i would be hesitant to change to a gym just becaus of the coach at your dd's level. See how things progress this year and that would also give you a chance to see how this new gym does

Her last meet of the season, she got a 35.75 AA. She is not a socializer, although other parents tell me how liked she is by the other girls, and coaches say she is focused and hardworking. As far as her happiness, she will be content anywhere she can do gymnastics. I know she really clicked with the coach that is leaving. He is able to explain things to her in a manner that she understands. The horrible thing is, she has a fabulous relationship with all of her coaches. I know 9 great hours are better than 16 bad, but I honestly can't say the current 16 are bad. The decision regarding moving is awful!

How old is she? And, does she have enough time to just be a kid/teen?
That's what my mom did. She decided to only let me train 12 hours a week and I could've trained 20 hours. Though, I'm level 8 now, and 13 years old. I'm really happy about where I am. She wanted my to get good grades, and let me have a little more free time. Looking back, I'm happy she did that, though I train a lot more now, I'm happy I could be a more normal kid. Ultimately, grades are more important than gymnastics. You'll always have your knowledge, but you only can be a gymnast for so long.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back