WAG Well... That just happened... Nail in DD's foot..:/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meganliz77

Proud Parent
So my DD came in a bit ago from doing chores... She had a nail go through her rubber boot and into her foot. OUCH! Her tetanus should be UTD, but I'll call the clinic tomorrow to make sure... Now I'm just worried about how this will impact her practice this week?! Or the next? Maybe it will heal up fast with no issues?!

Sigh... Never a dull moment!

I would think she'd be able to continue as normal with possibly wearing a sneaker for a week until it heals or doesn't hurt. We've had girls at our gym doing that breaking toes etc and it's not as bad as you may think. Feet especially bottoms are pretty tough skinned

My concern, if the nail went through the shoe, is that there may be part of the shoe now in her foot. When you call tomorrow, I would make sure they didn't want to evaluate her further. She may need an antibiotic as well. Puncture wounds can be very unpleasant. I work in the ER and have seen more then a few :)

Hmmm... Hard to say since I dealt with her only after her big sis pulled it out for her! But based on review of the nail, and the boot, I would say between 1/4 to 1/2 inch?! Soaking it now in Epsom salt and water.... :( poor bug!

My concern, if the nail went through the shoe, is that there may be part of the shoe now in her foot. When you call tomorrow, I would make sure they didn't want to evaluate her further. She may need an antibiotic as well. Puncture wounds can be very unpleasant. I work in the ER and have seen more then a few :)

Thanks! I will make sure to call tomorrow! I did pull out, as I was cleaning it, what appeared to be boot lining material... We soaked it for about 30 minutes and it stopped bleeding and looks really nice and clean!

I hope she doesn't need a new tetanus.... It took 3 nurses and myself to hold her down for a flu shot... Little stinker is freakishly strong! (And TERRIFIED of needles!)

Gahhhhhh! That sounds incredibly painful! I would definitely get it looked at. I would guess it would be very easy for bacteria to get way in there with a puncture wound and infection to set in fairly quickly.

As for when to be back at gymnastics, that will depend on how it feels.

Coach is already aware and said lots of bar work this week!! Lol... Maybe she'll get her kip with the "extra" practice!!! ;)

The other thing, of course, is to keep it clean. I'd suggest whatever bandage and then clean socks (and/or shoes, depending on her pain level) to both hold the bandage in place and help keep out the gym "germs." No running around barefoot in the gym until it is all healed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back