Parents Were you a gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, I also was a gymnast. Some days I believe that it has been of great benefit to my gymnast daughters, but most days I believe it's just a curse. I don't coach (don't want to) and knowing every bit of gymnastics makes it difficult to just be the supportive mom I need to be. I can do that at my son's Cross Country and track meets! I really do like it better that way.

Not really. I took rec classes up to the point where I was learning a back handspring and I could never bring myself to try one on my own (after having learned them with a spot in class). My 5 year old has pretty much surpassed me in skill as she'd have no problems throwing back handsprings if allowed. I can still do handstands and cartwheels though which my daughter gets a kick out of!

Edit: Oops, just realized this was an old post and I already responded! Should have checked first. :eek:

Loved watching gymnastics as a kid on TV but I think I only made it to 3 or 4 rec classes at a high school gym before my mother pulled me out fearing I'd break my neck. So sadly, I never even learned how to do a cartwheel. My 5 year old has surpassed any skills I had and my older daughter amazes me every time I see her.

I was not. I was a figure skater. I purposely didn't put my dd in figure skating because I think I would be one of THOSE parents, since it is my background, lol.

I don't think I know enough about gymnastics to be able to be a "sideline coach".

I was a figure skater as a child, I grew up in a remote town in Quebec in the 60s and early 70s (hope I don't date myself too much!). When I was a pre-teen my family relocated to the US where figure skating was very expensive and time consuming. Gymnastics in the 70s wasn't at all like it was today. Through high school we did gymnastics in gym class (too much of a liability today I suppose). I joined gymnastics in high school because it was inexpensive and a way to channel some of my figure skating skills. My oldest DD got my height, my youngest DD got my flexibility. It was around when Nadia was famous and we all wanted to be like her, but none of us did tricks close to what she did. There was a lot more dance involved, my DD passed my tumbling ability when she was 7 or 8 probably. There was also a lot more polyester! (Who thought that was a good idea?)

I think having come from a very simple gymnastics background has been beneficial with my DD in the sport. Helped me understand there's more to gymnastics than elite aspirations, mega gyms, etc. It's a really great sport that I had fun with in school (and it -mostly- kept me out of trouble... mostly!) and I hope my DD has/had as good of an experience as well.

I was definitely not a gymnast-too gangly and not flexible at all. :D I am still pretty clueless where gymnastics is concerned and I don't try to "coach" her, much to her relief. DD also loves basketball which is a sport that I played. With that, I really had to suppress the urge to give her pointers. Found that harder than I thought!

Yes, I also was a gymnast. Some days I believe that it has been of great benefit to my gymnast daughters, but most days I believe it's just a curse. I don't coach (don't want to) and knowing every bit of gymnastics makes it difficult to just be the supportive mom I need to be.

This!

I was pretty good back in the 80's, but a massive event happened when I was 11 and my mum moved us hundreds of miles away, and there were no clubs. Plus my mum always believed there was no future in sport- well I suppose there wasn't then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back