Parents What are the most common levels to repeat?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom8772

Proud Parent
What are the most common levels to repeat?
My daughter just competed level 4 without having a kip or at least a somewhat decent one yet still made it to states. I'm not sure if her gym will want her to repeat the level or not, from what it looks like it could be 50/50. I noticed this season the competition was much more fierce than in old level 4 last year. I have a feeling a lot of girls repeated old level 5 and competed new 4 this season because the scores were much higher than I've ever seen and this level is a lot harder than the last. I know there are certain levels that are common to repeat and I'm wondering if this is one of them.

It really depends on the gymnast. Some repeat the lower compulsory levels and then don't repeat for several levels. Obviously, the higher optional levels will see many girls repeating.

Without knowing your gym, if your DD has competed a season of L4 and still doesn't have a solid kip, I would say she most likely would repeat. Then again, she wouldn't even have competed that level at a lot of gyms without the kip, so I can't really guess what your gym's strategy is.

Definitely L4 is pretty common in the compulsory levels. I can't imagine competing L5 without a kip. And I would probably add L8, L9 and L10 to the mix. Each gym has different philosophies though.

I would think the most common levels are 4 and 5 (old). Now, levels 3 and 4. This is primarily due to bars.

I have also seen some repeating at 7 (due to vault), and 8 and 9 (probably due to bars).

Out of curiosity, how does a child compete new level 4 without a kip??

I know it does seem pretty strange. After my DD got done competing old level 4 at her original gym they decided to change their compulsory program and not have them compete a regular season in the fall. They did not do much up training in preparation for the next level. Mid summer I pulled DD out of that gym for various reasons and into a different gym. They placed her in the new level 4 group because she had all of the skills except for the kip. That gym was more of a relaxed program so their attitude was that it wasn't a big deal and she would get it. The beginning of her season she was doing more of a muscle up and somewhere in the season it became more of a kip but it wasn't pretty with bent arms and her upper body was bent over when she reached the top of the bar. Somehow by the end of the season she managed to break through the 8.00 threshold even with that.

I have a feeling the relaxed atmosphere will come into play when it's time to decide training levels for the coming year. The coaches may say it's no big deal and move her up, but some where down the road they will have to make everything a big deal, or have the kids repeat forever at L6 or L7.

If she doesn't have a kip, she needs to repeat level 4. That's a common level to repeat (old level 5) because of bars. I think level 8 and 9 also are repeated a lot.

Since the season just finished there is another 8-9 months until the next season begins so I'm wondering if during that time there could be enough catching up to do to not have to possibly repeat?

I used to make those decisions in May of each year after the top kids had finished their comp season. She could easily have this skill next week, or not, but odds are she'll have it by May. Just remember gymnastics guarantees nothing other than hard worker end up happier than the rest.

I guess only time will tell that's why I said it looks 50/50 at this point. I've already spoken with her coach about scheduling weekly private lessons on bars to help catch her up on that event. Best case scenario, she catches up and is able to compete level 5 next season. I don't want her to go through another season unprepared like this season however so if she's not ready then better she repeat and have a strong year next season:)).

The most common levels to repeat at our gym seem to be the level 5 because of the kip and then level 7. Level 7 seems to be repeated not because the level 7 skills weren't ready but mostly because there is some hold up with a level 8 skill. Usually bars.

Agree. At my dd's gym, L4 (old L5) is commonly repeated. The basics competed in that level are so important for everything else to come. L7 is another biggie. A lot of kids are bummed about "repeating" a level, but I find they really don't lose much ground in the long run, as long as they are uptraining when ready. I really think how they're training is way more important than what level they're competing.

There are no set rules on progression in this sport. They aren't really repeating if they don't move up, they are simply staying in the level they are most competent at. There is no shame in doing a level for more than one year, or two or three. It's the beauty of gymnastics, you can move along (for the most part) at your own pace and that is a good thing. There is room for the turtles and the rabbits, too. Change your mindset on it and it will help change the child's as well.

There are no set rules on progression in this sport. They aren't really repeating if they don't move up, they are simply staying in the level they are most competent at. There is no shame in doing a level for more than one year, or two or three. It's the beauty of gymnastics, you can move along (for the most part) at your own pace and that is a good thing. There is room for the turtles and the rabbits, too. Change your mindset on it and it will help change the child's as well.
Our gym often repeats Old 4/ New 3 and L7. Because of "Mandate" scores, we sometimes have to repeat Old 5/ New 4 too (girls who did well at Old 4, but didn't have a kip). My OG did 2 years at Old 4, a year at Old 5, a year at Old 6 ... hit a block... took 3 months off and came back to compete Xcel Gold for half a season. She is now in the middle of her first full season of Gold. She has overcome one of her blocks and is working on the others. Next season, she will compete Platinum. After that, she will go to L7.
YG did 2 years at Old 4 and is now competing L3 this year. She did not want to move up, and she is a young 9 year old, so that's fine. Next year, she will compete L4 and will either go to Xcel Gold after that or stay L4 for another year (no way she will be ready for L5 in 1 year).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back