Parents What can I expect at a preteam evaluation?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

KnitNinja

Proud Parent
My daughter (4) is going to be evaluated by the HC at her next rec lesson for preteam (to start learning level 1 skills, they don't compete until L3).
I don't want to put any pressure on her, but is there anything I can do to prepare - her or me? (I'm not even telling her it's for preteam or a test or anything. But are there games we can play at home?) What should I expect? I know it varies widely from in gym to gym but I'm looking for others' experiences with lower level evals.

At our gym, evaluations are pretty low key. The HC will pull the child out of the class and have her try a few skills on each apparatus. Handstands, walking and jumping on the beam, pullover, jumping to stacked mats, etc. I do t even think it is entirely the skills thst the HC is looking for, but the willingness to try, to take corrections and some tightness of form.

Nothing you can really do to prepare her. Just remind her to listen to the coaches and always try her best. That is at least as important st the preteam level as actual skills.

I'm the evaluator at our gym. If I'm asking to evaluate your kid, I have likely seen her in class already. There's nothing you can do to prepare her other than the "have fun and listen to coach!" Suggestion!
We do two kinds of evaluations, first a primary one that may be private or in a group. I put them through some basic exercises to see where they are at physically. For me, it's much less about the skills at this point, more about their physical abilities and their listening/focusing skills. I am far more likely to want to keep the kid who listens and follows directions but may be a little weaker physically than the hot shot who can do it all but cannot focus for the life of her..! ;)
Once you make it through my "preliminary round", I offer a 2-3wk trial. Sometimes kids who were promising in evaluation can't handle the team training and conditioning. Likewise some kids who were so-so in the evaluation really step it up and show awesome effort during the trial. :) The longer trial is really important to us, and I feel it's good for the potential team gymnast and her parents as well so they get a chance to see if they can commit before spending the $$. :)
Best of luck to her, take it easy and enjoy the ride!!

I would tell her that HC is coming to her class to watch and may ask her to do some skills. That way she won't be confused or surprised by the change. But make it low pressure. Tell her that the teacher's just want to see what she's learned so far, so go have fun and show them what you can do.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I *always* have her in a gym leo and double pigtails (so she's not forward rolling onto a ponytail). She looks like a gymnast. She calls herself a gymnast ("good gymnast", before her last class!). And she's the only one in her group who (almost) never looks toward the lobby viewing windows. She's focused, fearless, and follows directions.
This is pretty clearly her thing. I'm just obsessing. Thanks for humoring me. :)

My suggestion is this: be prepared that it might run long. Ours did and the coach asked the kids if they were okay staying and working longer (and excused them if they were not), and then asked the parents if we were okay staying longer. Perhaps it was part of the evaluation.....?

Yeah (and thanks for the link Deleted member 18037!) she was at her worst and basically blew it. Didn't listen or focus, showed off, etc. So we are in baby rec for another eight weeks at least.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back