WAG What do you think about prayer at gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
So I'm sorry if its against the rules to ask questions like this... Many gyms have the girls pray together at meets/gym/events etc. of course nobody forces anyone to pray but I just don't think the gym is place for prayer... What do you think of prayer at the gym?

DD had a coach that "prayed" over each gymnast at the end of each practice and did a group prayer before each competition. Honestly, it made me uncomfortable. First of all, it's presumptuous as hell. Secondly, it isn't the appropriate place. Thirdly, it felt exclusionary to other belief systems.

I am an atheist and my daughter doesn't believe in any gods despite being exposed to multiple types of religious belief systems. I wish I had a picture of the look on her face the first time her coach put her hands on her in prayer. It was hysterical! I always resented the coach foisting her religious beliefs on my family.

If I want prayer, I'll go to church. I'm paying for gymnastics instruction. That's what I expect. I respect the fact that coaches are people and many are religious. However, I would want that part of their life to remain personal because I think religion is personal.

IMHO, the only time it would be appropriate is if the gym was a religious affiliated gym. If not I would not stand for the praying unless we were all consulted and every member approved.

Would never fly at gyms here in the Northeast overall. However I recall reading a thread here a while back that it is more common in the South.

DD had a coach that "prayed" over each gymnast at the end of each practice and did a group prayer before each competition. Honestly, it made me uncomfortable. First of all, it's presumptuous as hell. Secondly, it isn't the appropriate place. Thirdly, it felt exclusionary to other belief systems.

I am an atheist and my daughter doesn't believe in any gods despite being exposed to multiple types of religious belief systems. I wish I had a picture of the look on her face the first time her coach put her hands on her in prayer. It was hysterical! I always resented the coach foisting her religious beliefs on my family.

If I want prayer, I'll go to church. I'm paying for gymnastics instruction. That's what I expect. I respect the fact that coaches are people and many are religious. However, I would want that part of their life to remain personal because I think religion is personal.

Yes! I second that;)

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Im not sure why anybody would be offended by someone praying for them or over them. Prayer is a gift from one to another. It's like an ugly sweater...even if you wouldn't have chosen it you can appreciate that someone thought enough to give it to you. ANyway, regardless of religious belief, I have no problem with prayer of any faith and would hope people cared enough to pray for me or my kid if they felt so moved to do so. NO issues with prayer in public places, including the gym, here (from any religion).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back