WAG What does it take to post a meet schedule on line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is it a local meet? If it's not too far away you'll have a better chance of making dinner regardless.
It's only an hour away. Early afternoon session we will be Ok. Late afternoon, it's a no.

I feel bad for my friends husband, he just wants an answer. Not unreasonable.

Me, we would love to and it we can't be a maybe, we have to say no. S@cks

I feel your frustration. Sometimes you have to bug people. Isn't there someone at your gym, not the Coach, who might be able to provide the information?

I feel your frustration. Sometimes you have to bug people. Isn't there someone at your gym, not the Coach, who might be able to provide the information?
Nope. There is no staff, it's a small gym. Us parents manage by getting the schedules on line and posting on our parent FB group. This is the first meet all year that I have not been able to get directly from the hosts gym meet information site and share with our FB group. I'm not the only cranky one, I assure you.

Careful with this post. I was upset at Christmas that the host gym didn't give out the meet schedule for a meet that took place on 12/17-18 (1 week before Christmas) until 1 week before. So, I posted what I considered to be a mild rant (especially since in our area meet schedules usually come our 4 weeks before a meet) here and got slammed for it. Comments that people hope that the meet gym didnt see my post, etc.

Hope you get the schedule soon. It is very frustrating.

Careful with this post. I was upset at Christmas that the host gym didn't give out the meet schedule for a meet that took place on 12/17-18 (1 week before Christmas) until 1 week before. So, I posted what I considered to be a mild rant (especially since in our area meet schedules usually come our 4 weeks before a meet) here and got slammed for it. Comments that people hope that the meet gym didnt see my post, etc.

Hope you get the schedule soon. It is very frustrating.

Thanks. The fact is if you take on a meet, timelines of scheduling is an obligation as far as I'm concerned. And part of that is posting it. Even volunteers have an obligation to honor their commitments. Our church food bank is open on Wed afternoon, if you volunteer you show up when you commit to, same when I volunteer for school and gym functions.

So not worried about being slammed for a rant. And I'm a straight shooter, so I let the coach know as well.

Annoys the crud out of me.

Meet is next week. I have to RSVP to a birthday party.

They have the entry forms on line. They have the venue on line. And I know the schedule exists because when I google the dang meet, I can see other gyms who have their flipping report times.

There should be some USAG rule about having to post the report times, on line and by a certain day.

Yes I'm freaking cranky. First meet this season, that hasn't been posted. First freaking weekend with a possible conflict. My friends husband needs to give the restaurant a head, count. Its not a unreasonable expectation. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
some of the responses to this rant sounds like parents defending their children. It's ok to love your kids gym and their coaches and still admit that sometimes they drop the ball. It's not gym bashing. Sounds like they dropped the ball. That sucks for this parent. It's messing with his/her schedule. It's inconvenient, probably avoidable and borderline embarrassing having to explain other "normal" people who don't play or understand gymnastics. All while still understanding that the meet organization by coaches who would just rather be coaching is a chaotic hot mess of crazy work that they would love to hire people to do with money they don't have.

You just don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes, nor can you (or anyone else) unless you are behind the scenes. Gyms are not required to do things the way you want them done. They aren't required to post it online at all. If other gyms have the schedule then your coaches should have the schedule and that is who your complaint should be with.

You just don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes, nor can you (or anyone else) unless you are behind the scenes. Gyms are not required to do things the way you want them done. They aren't required to post it online at all. If other gyms have the schedule then your coaches should have the schedule and that is who your complaint should be with.

You really don't know what happened either. For all we know the distribution list for the schedule was missing gyms, perhaps someone who was in charge of sending out the schedule didn't get some emails correct. You really don't know the issue is with my gym.

While I get they are not currently required to post the schedule on line. They should be.

And really the you just don't know how hard it is thing, gets old. If it is overwhelming perhaps the gyms that are overwhelmed shouldn't host meets. If the person doing the schedule just can't handle it, perhaps they should pick a different thing to volunteer for.

Seriously -- this post is getting rather silly. I guarantee you that the person at your gym who registered the gymnasts has received the schedule. What email was provided to the host gym? That is where your schedule is. Ask that person. Then rant at them for not providing you the information in a timely fashion -- that is the problem.

The host gym is under zero obligation to provide individual parents with information. Sure, it is great when they do, but it is not a requirement. Other attending gyms clearly have the schedule, so it is quite safe to assume yours does too. Be mad at that person for not giving it to you.

Honestly I remain puzzled by why you are so mad at the host gym if other gyms competing at the meet have distributed the schedule to their athletes and yours hasn't. If you really want to go to the birthday party, RSVP yes to it and let your DD go to this small, local, likely quite insignificant meet with a teammate and ask another parent to take lots of pics and videos.

I get frustrated too when meet schedules aren't available online and/or schedule is not emailed within a few weeks of the meet, but over the years I've come to accept that this is just part of the sport and I have to deal. I find it harder to understand when it's a big meet that happens every year and requires 3+ hours of travel/airline tickets for most competitors. Small local meets? Eh, it is what it is.

I would be frustrated too. I'm surprised their Facebook page and email isn't blowing up?

The reason I say that is b/c one of the gyms that hosted a state meet last year didn't post OR give out a meet schedule to coaches or anyone AT ALL until four days before the meet. The other gyms hosting state meets right before and right after them had their schedule posted for a couple of weeks already. It wasn't our state meet but I was looking at their page b/c I was thinking of going and watching some of our higher level girls and their Facebook page was blown up! Irate parents, coaches, gym owners, you name it they were getting told off by everyone. And then I heard the meet was also disorganized and a mess. I thought for sure they wouldn't be awarded another state meet. But sure enough, they are hosting a state meet this year as well!

hopefully they have learned their lesson! if hosting states was their first time hosting a meet (a huge mistake) then they will have hopefully learned from mistakes made last year.
also, sometimes it's not "awarded" it's no one else will host the state meet so we are just glad you are taking it on no matter how big of a disaster it was last year. that happened to our gym 2 years ago with level 6/7 states. NO ONE wanted to host it so we hosted it 2 years in a row. and this year we lost our venue so it's being hosted elsewhere. which is a total bummer for me b/c my dd is level 6 this year. it's much more relaxing when i work the meet she is in. i don't get as nervous. :rolleyes:

i think it's kinder to the parents who have to get their kids to the meets to have the schedules posted online.

our gym and AHC is excellent about getting times and addresses up on our team schedule. she then emails that it's up. she also emails when there are changes in time.

but not every gym is cognizant of the fact that their families have lives that exist outside of the gym and children that have other activities.
obviously that is the case with the OP in this particular instance.

i hope you figure it out and are able to go to the party. as gym parents we get too few time to socialize like that!

Reactions: sce
Side note: I have never heard of a restaurant/venue that can't accommodate a few extra guests for an event on short notice.

My husband and I have planned some really huge events for his work over the years, and typically a final head count is tallied at the meal and the bill is adjusted upward as needed.

Ironically...we are at a meet this weekend, and had a birthday party. The tentative schedule was online and it looked good for us making it, so we rsvp'd yes. Then the final schedule came out through the coaches, and the times had changed. We had to back out. So having a schedule online does not always help :(

And really the you just don't know how hard it is thing, gets old. If it is overwhelming perhaps the gyms that are overwhelmed shouldn't host meets. If the person doing the schedule just can't handle it, perhaps they should pick a different thing to volunteer for.
I think this is the point that people are getting touchy on. If you just want to stick with large meets with lots of manpower and money to hire organizers then you might get all that you wish for. That usually includes more travel, more entry fees and most of the time, larger admission fees. Or you go to a gym that has more personnel to pass on the information (assuming that the information was given to your gym). To say it's as easy as posting your work schedule online, you're missing the fact that you have a program, an IT department, etc that has this system up and running. Most meets, if they even have a website, don't have access to all of these resources. Who knows if the person that does the online posting has document to post online in their possession. I agree I would love if everything was online. I also wish every meet had electronic scoring but I don't consider a meet a failure if they don't have those things. In the grand scheme of things, online posting won't make a difference to how this meet functions. I for one might not LOVE all local meets but I appreciate them for their effort and the fact my kid can go compete without breaking the bank.

As a gym mom, I am totally spoiled. We have received pretty much all our schedules in the past 2 1/2 seasons (since dd13 started in gym) 14 days or more prior to the start day off the meet. I have to have the kid there for about 5 hours total, maybe 6. Venues are 30 minutes to 3 hours away.

As a dance mom entering our 10th competitive season (dd15), if we get a schedule more than 7 days prior to the 1st day of competition, it's a miracle. DD15 is in 9 dances, and it is likely she will dance at random times on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. She could dance Saturday night at 9, have awards at 10, and have to be back Sunday morning by 7 for the next day's numbers. Venue is typically an hour away. Schedules are rarely posted online. A few of the bigger comps do it, but not many. But it's a choice we made and we deal.

So for us, being able to see a schedule online, weeks prior to the event, is really awesome. But we just roll with it, whatever happens.

And yes, it stinks to not be able to RSVP to other events due to lack of knowledge that should be available to you. Very frustrating, for sure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back