Coaches What does your compulsory UB workout look like?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twisting007bigflip

Coach
Proud Parent
Out of curiosity...

What circuits do you do? How many reps? How long is your bar workout? How many kids in your group? How many stations? Do you up train? How many kids per station in the circuit?

OR

If you were going to set up a bar workout for a group of level 5s (new level 4) what would it look like if your equipment consisted of:
A set of pbars, a single rail stuck inside some panel mats to create a floor bar, 3 jr kip bars, a set of unevens from the 70's (lol), and a set of what I think are junior unevens (the low bar will only raise to about 5 feet and they will only extend to fit a gymnast about 4'6")...we also have a total gym and several therabands, some panel mats, an incline mat, and a trampoline bar, and a body bar. Oh, and there are 8 kids in the group.

Ideally bar workout is at least 45 minutes, if you can do an hour, do an hour if they're hands will survive. I would push for an hour if there really wouldn't be a good probability of using the bars for conditioning later. attach some ropes to the high bar (generally rope from OSH hardware roughly 8 feet long) and do L or straddle L rope climbs alternating with leg lifts. 3-5 sets of each. It would be nice to have 2 coaches on bars.

How things get planned out depends whether it's just 1 or 2 coaches. Big difference.

Bar warmup would be warming up L hang, straddle L hang, cradle and high hollow support, 4 sets of 15s. then move on to kips and using jr kip bars for cast HS. I would either set up 2 big blocks under 1 set of bars to work cast HS while laying over the bar with the shoulders on the blocks (basically heel drive to sort of a shoulderstand). If I'm spotting cast HS, I'd spot 2-3 sets of 3 cast HS and they would do about 2-3 sets of cast by themselves.

wedge with floor bar would be used for back extension rolls or floor bar partner HS or possibly push/pull planche drill with floor bar

tramp bar would be used for basic kick to HS to back drop, pumping to try to bounce back to HS

Those would be return stations

For those learning kip or perfecting straight arm kip: 5-10 low bar kips, use 2nd set for kids who are beyond that to do kip series jump to long hang kip, tap swings; 3-5 sets. I would probably spot about 2 sets of drop kips, maybe 3.

If they all had kips of some sort, they would work the kip work and I'd spot cast HS

jr kip bars would be used for cast HS if they are stable enough or from support push to squat on. throw a block underneath and do squat on/pike on.

total gym as a return station, 3 pulldowns

body bar can be used for floor kip drill for those still learning kip

after they finish kip work, one set of unevens would continue to be used for either low bar kips for those needing it or long hang kips. If they all had straight low and high bar kips, I would move on from kips and have one set of bars working tap swings to

second set of bars would be used by coach to spot either back hip circle to undershoot focusing on progressing toward clear hip or flyaway drills or swinging pullovers and/or baby giants or tap swing 1/2's on either low or high bar. could even be working sole circles.

i might use the set of pbars to teach swing to HS since it's easier than cast to HS. I would probably spot it and have them work the incline and floor bar or tramp bar while I spot the swing HS. This might be something I might do at the end of bars.

Sometimes before kips, i might spot cradle to chin levers or cast HS. More emphasis on cast HS

But basically, they would always be warming up those position rounds and then kips and cast HS and breaking off to back hip or clearhip work or dismount work or baby giant work. I'm pretty sure they would work dismount work every day

I'm sure I would be running from bar to bar, spotting some low bar kips or squat on jump to high then long hang kip or clear hip/dismount work.

Time partitioning might be something like this.

5m of position drills

5m of casting, maybe 7. with 8 kids it might be 10

5-10m of kip work, some kids might stay on this if they don't have straight arm low bar kip or long hang kip

10-15m of back hip/clear hip or dismount work

If I only get 45m of bars, then 5-7m would be used at the end to do rope climbs and leg lifts if I don't get to do it later (which is convenient). If I get 60m, then I get about 15-20 more minutes of skill work time. Rope climbs and leg lifts would not be skipped in-season.

I believe in a grab and growl system. you snooze, you lose.

during preseason/competitive season: 3 1st halves, 3 second halves, 3-5 routines. as they work the halves I might spot cast HS. Any other time is spent refining some skills or up training (clear hip/flyways/baby giant/strap bar giant/sole circle)

2-3 kids per station.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back