WAG What happens after an elite qualifier?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
Do the girls that score high enough only compete elite from then on or can they still drop back and compete the lower levels?

I think they can still compete in level ten meets. I believe Mykayla Skinner competed in the Fiesta Bowl this year. Jordyn Wieber's mom mentioned that Jordyn competed in level ten meets in her book.

If they decide they don't want to do elite at all anymore, they can permanently drop down to level ten.

We had a girl that made it to elite. While she held elite status she could not compete in level 10 meets. The gym found meets with an "open" division so she could keep competing with her teammates (but only with Marta's approval!) We had another girl that made elite with her, but chose to give up her elite status and just do level 10 after a year. you do have to pick one or the others.

So if you go to a qualifier and get the needed score you are automatically elite? I have seen the level 10/open meets before (on the schedule) so good to know what that means. Thanks!

1. National qualifier and/or Challenge competition) may choose to compete as a Level 10 in the following season, since she is considered as a Pre-Elite athlete. No petition is necessary.
An Elite gymnast may petition to drop back to the JO program by sending a "reason for change" letter FROM HER COACH to the National Junior Olympic Committee Chairman. An Elite gymnast from the US or a non‐US citizen residing in the US who previously competed for a foreign national team may petition to drop back to the JO program by sending a "reason for change" letter FROM HER COACH to the National Junior Olympic Committee Chair.

http://usagym.org/pages/women/pages/overview_jo.html

I haven't had a reason to read through this for many, many, many...... years, so I'm not sure if qualifying for one of the two elite national meets, or competing at an elite national meet is where the line is drawn. If a kid wants to drop back, I'd think, from from past observation, the petition process is reasonable and in favor of the coach and gymnast making the petition.

So if you go to a qualifier and get the needed score you are automatically elite? I have seen the level 10/open meets before (on the schedule) so good to know what that means. Thanks!

HOPEs athletes can still compete their normal JO Levels. Kids that qualify to international elite are not considered elites until they compete in the US Classic and/or American Classic. Up until they compete in their first classic meet, they can compete at any and all JO meets including states & nationals.

HOPEs athletes can still compete their normal JO Levels. Kids that qualify to international elite are not considered elites until they compete in the US Classic and/or American Classic. Up until they compete in their first classic meet, they can compete at any and all JO meets including states & nationals.

this is correct. and once you qualify to Classics you are considered Elite. when this happens you can not compete in a JO meet. a petition is required to drop back. if you drop back, you won't be able to go back up for 1 full season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back