what happens to those that didn't make the team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The thread about the senior and junior national team members got me thinking about a couple of things? First, what happens to those that did not make the national team? Are they still invited to international events? If not, do they compete in invitational type meets for elites? Second, do the juniors have a world championship meet, like the seniors? Just curious....we have a few elites and I'm just wondering what their year is like.

if you don't make it's back to the drawing board for the next season. and it depends on what the needs of usag is in regards to selection for meets. let's say you are ranked 15th as a senior. and the USA has several events simultaneously. and someone gets hurt or sick. if #15 has something to bring to an event or the team, you could get invited to the ranch for a training camp for that purpose.

no, the juniors don't have a world champs.

I'm friends with Brandie Jay from GK in Colorado. She got 17th in the AA but 3rd in vault. She'd probably only have a shot at the team is ASac and Vanessa couldn't compete at all. But yeah I was talking to her and she said she's going to come back to Colorado and keep training, do some state meets and school work and get ready for next season.

I was wondering about that too, since we have a gymnast from my DD's club that was scheduled to compete at VISA's, but didn't due to an injury. She was on the junior national team for 2009, so it is sad that she is not on the senior team this year.

MamaofEnS

They are considered level 10 if they did not get their elite scores, although you will see some girls that keep doing the qualifiers call themsleves "Sr International Elite" when they have achieved the AGE of a Sr but not the elite score....that can be a bit misleading. The thing with elite is it is a score that needs to be achieved every year to be able to be called elite...that's why you see some girls referred to as "former junior international elite" when they drop back to level 10.

not exactly, bookworm.

once the athlete qualifies to a "classic" meet she is now considered an elite. this metric means that the athlete achieved their compulsory and then optional score to qualify to classics. if she does not qualify to championships out of classics she is still an elite regardless whether they are a junior or senior.

now, if the athlete drops back to level 10 for whatever reason after qualifying to classics, the athlete is required to stay out of elite for 1 season. there is no jumping back and forth and is not allowed, hence the 1 year penalty.

but if you don't qualify to classics, then you have the choice of jumping back and forth. lots of kids do this. hope this clarifies.

Not exactly what I was referring to Dunno...I'm talking about the girls who test year after year and don't get their elite score after say doing it in 2008 but never again (because they currently get 49s and 50s amd not the 54 needed) , those girls are no longer technically a CURRENT elite . From my understanding, you don't get to call yourself elite because you once got the score in any year (because isn't that the reason for testing every year?) . What I think you are referencing is the girls that get their score, go to Classic and don't make VISAs ...they are still elite for that year but if they do not get the score the next year , they are not, correct?

i think were saying the same thing. once you have qualified to classics you are then considered an "international elite". then the goal is to qualify on to champs and hopefully make the national team.

in fact, they must qualify each year. but the "classic qualified" athlete does not have to go to a qualifier or what they consider a "pre-elite" qualifier. And in alot of cases, most of the "verification" takes place at the ranch. so sometimes, an athlete doesn't have to go to classics to go to champs because of the ranch verification.

but pre-elites must keep trying every year until they qualify to classics. and typically, these are the kids that go back and forth in level 10 and elite.

and remember, were not talking about hopes, tops, challenge etc;

So if in the year after they qualify to Classics, they do not get their score for the next year , then they are no longer an elite, correct?

EX. 2008 gets score for Jr or Sr International Elite and goes to Classics and maybe VISAS...is an elite

2009...never gets score (scores in low 49/50 range) , doesn't qualify for Classic so no longer an elite?

once they have qualified to classics as seniors they don't have to qualify to classics the next year. their goal is to keep trying to qualify to champs.

if they are juniors, same thing and up till they become seniors. they will then have to go to a qualifier to get the "senior" score to qualify for classics.

and whether they are juniors or seniors, once they got the qualifying score for their complsories they will not have to do them again. but, if they drop out for a season or more and then return they will once more have to do the compulsories. this is what happened with vanessa. she qualified her compulsory score her senior year in high school. got hurt during optional warm up at the qualifier in dallas. goes on to college. then goes to the qualifier in florida at biegers. she had to the compulsories again. and as you know, she went all the way this year. hurrah!

and remember, the rules change just a bit if they continually go to the ranch and do verifiers.

hey bookworm, where are you? does the above sound like what you understand it to be??

Hi Dunno- it is my understanding that once they qualify for Classic with both a compulsory and optional score, they do not have to do compulsory again, no matter how many years in between.

If they re-qualify the next year, it is just with an optional score which ,depending on the score is , just for Classics , or all the way to Championships. If they do NOT get a qualifying score after being elite, I thought they were no longer considered "elite" for that next year and years to follow(and no petition back to Level 10 is needed because they never qualified as an elite so they are ,by default, Level 10 until they get their elite score)

Example: 2008: gets score to qualify to VISAs; considered elite
2009: does not need compulsory score but does not get
optional score for either Classic or VISAs; no longer
considered elite going forward
but cannot do JO Nationals this year
because of 2008 elite status cycle.
2010: still does not get optional score and is not considered
elite but can do JO regionals and Nationals because
former elite status was not in this cycle.

me thinks you said it better than me! and then there are all those circumstantial variables when you attend the ranch. but you said it well in a nutshell.

A gymnast qualifying to US Classics in 2009 and not Visa Championships can compete in JO Nationals in 2010 so long as they do not do US Classics in 2010. Several gymnasts do this every year.

A gymnast qualifying to US Classics in 2009 and not Visa Championships can compete in JO Nationals in 2010 so long as they do not do US Classics in 2010. Several gymnasts do this every year.

that would assume that they did not requalify to elite in 2010 or had petitioned back to Level 10...

In this situation they can compete at JO Nationals in 2009 if they petition back.

optional score for either Classic or VISAs;
no longer

keep in mind that they NEVER have refused a petition to drop back. but they have enforced the rule about the gymnast coming back to elite the next year. they won't let them.

optional score for either Classic or VISAs; no longer
2010: still does not get optional score and is not considered
elite but can do JO regionals and Nationals because
former elite status was not in this cycle.

In this situation they can compete at JO Nationals in 2009 if they petition back.

But they have to file a petition to compete as a 10 (and as Dunno says, they don't usually refuse it) but they cannot do elite that same year either

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back