WAG What is a lightning bolt on bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1canadiangymmom

Proud Parent
My dd says that they have been working on this, but I cannot figure out what she is talking about. I have googled it and nothing gymnastics related comes up. Is there another name for this?

Maybe I should get a better description from her, but from what I remember, it is a bar change from low to highbar, as an upgrade from just a jump to highbar. I thought the name might ring a bell with someone.

Go to the Canada forum and look at Alex's Gymnix video. The transition from low bar to high bar is the lightning. I think my daughters old gym used to call it a Chinese something. If you YouTube National Novice Gymnastics, most of the bar routines include the lightning.

It is hard to keep track of all the skills let alone several names for any given skill. If I am looking at the right video (toe circle to a straddle switching from low bar to high bar) gyms in our area calls that a hiccup! :confused:

Go to the Canada forum and look at Alex's Gymnix video. The transition from low bar to high bar is the lightning. I think my daughters old gym used to call it a Chinese something. If you YouTube National Novice Gymnastics, most of the bar routines include the lightning.
It's a Chinese sit up (or hiccup)! It's a basically some sort of underwing (toe on-toe off/sole circle) with a straddled leg hop to high bar.

(Not my video, just one that I found on YouTube)

That's funny, my kid is working on those too. Never heard it called a lightning bolt though! Around here it's the "Chinese thingie". I believe that is the technical term. ;)

I think this is one of those skills referred to with a few different names. At my daughter's current gym they call it an uphill, but where we used to live they called it a toe shoot.

Kind of like the whole overshoot/bail thing - I think some skills pick up different slang names regionally.

Would love to know why Chinese or maybe not :eek:

And I just happened to catch the end of practice last week and saw my kid do this toe/sole circle thing (with spot), what level is this? Had a holy cow when did that happen moment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back