WAG What is the deduction for not saluting the judges?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nope, she had mentioned that DD would have medaled (2nd place). Nothing would have happened for a tenth deduction. Oh well, we weren't expecting big numbers, but at least hoped for top half. I'm a little disheartened that her coaches didn't know (or teach) some things that lead to big deductions- I'm not only speaking of this instance.

I'd be a little concerned that the coach told you it was a 1 point deduction. Because either 1) they just don't know what they are talking about or 2) They told you that was the reason for the score being whatever it was to have a way to explain the score other than we stink as coaches.

I think you mentioned in another post, but could totally be confusing you with someone else that the girls placed really low at the meet. So perhaps the coach said that in order to make you think your daughter would have been 2nd place without that small little salute issue.

"Yeah....... None of the L3s placed today (up to 7th place). Looking at the differences between what they were taught compared to what the other girls were doing.... Major differences."

OP, you posted the above on another thread and after reading this one it is throwing up red flags for me. At our first meet since movnig cross country there was a group of parents sitting behind me that were complaining that their girls were only getting 7s on floor, and that they felt they were getting judged too harshly. I watched these girls on floor, 7s were generous. The girls could not do a robh safely, had no toe point, did not finish any skill etc. These parents had no idea why the girls were scoring so low and planned on approaching the coaches about it.

What I would do if I were you is go to Youtube, search for level 3 routines and see what is scoring in the 9s for level 3. Then watch what the girls in your gym are taught. I have never been formally trained in anything for gymnastics, have only sat and watched good and bad coaching for 5 years. I can tell you within a few minutes of watching a coach and what they are correcting if they are a good coach or a less than desirable coach. Educate yourself so you can be an advocate for your dd.

I'd be a little concerned that the coach told you it was a 1 point deduction. Because either 1) they just don't know what they are talking about or 2) They told you that was the reason for the score being whatever it was to have a way to explain the score other than we stink as coaches.

I think you mentioned in another post, but could totally be confusing you with someone else that the girls placed really low at the meet. So perhaps the coach said that in order to make you think your daughter would have been 2nd place without that small little salute issue.

That was probably me. The highest AA placement of any of our girls was 10th AA, DD included. Personally, it wasn't her best day, but there were certainly some score shocks. Like 5.6 on bars, without any falls and not missing any elements. She was a bit wobbly and did a couple hand adjustments (I think she touched the floor on the dismount too). I was expecting a low 7 .... Certainly not a 5.6!!! I was also told an entire point was taken off every girls score because they didn't teach them how to "cut" their leg for the mill circle, and DD is never told to keep her legs straight during the mill circle.

It is things like this that are frustrating. Like I said, I wasn't expecting a win, but the girls certainly should have been better prepared.

"Yeah....... None of the L3s placed today (up to 7th place). Looking at the differences between what they were taught compared to what the other girls were doing.... Major differences."

OP, you posted the above on another thread and after reading this one it is throwing up red flags for me. At our first meet since movnig cross country there was a group of parents sitting behind me that were complaining that their girls were only getting 7s on floor, and that they felt they were getting judged too harshly. I watched these girls on floor, 7s were generous. The girls could not do a robh safely, had no toe point, did not finish any skill etc. These parents had no idea why the girls were scoring so low and planned on approaching the coaches about it.

What I would do if I were you is go to Youtube, search for level 3 routines and see what is scoring in the 9s for level 3. Then watch what the girls in your gym are taught. I have never been formally trained in anything for gymnastics, have only sat and watched good and bad coaching for 5 years. I can tell you within a few minutes of watching a coach and what they are correcting if they are a good coach or a less than desirable coach. Educate yourself so you can be an advocate for your dd.

Thanks for the advice. I actually have You tubed them, and I can see some things DD is missing. I give her pointers here and there, like she should do her back bend with straight legs before she kicks over. But if the coaches aren't having her practice it, there is not much I can do besides mention it. I don't want to be the coach, and I'm sure the coach doesn't want me too either.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't advocate gym hopping, but it sounds like your dd's gym is a 'chuck it' gym. While this allows girls to compete, have fun, and get 'skills'; it is not safe nor is it rewarding when they do compete because their placing is very low. A 5.6 is really really low. Forget the .1 for not saluting, that is nothing compared to the lack of skills. Is there another gym in your area that you can go check out?

I agree, the whole audiences gasped when they saw the score! Generally, she's very solid on bars- so it was a complete shock.
At the end of the comp season, we will be checking out the nearest "competitive" gym.

My daughter didn't start off in a very competitive gym, but man, they sure taught her how to salute. She was a saluting maniac at that age. I used to joke that, when she finished a math test in school, she probably got up and saluted the teacher. :D

As for the gym, yes, if she's pretty "serious" about gym (and by "serious" I mean having a lot of fun and wanting to continue in it) I'd definitely look around. It sounds like her coaches are kind of clueless. Either that or totally dishonest, which is worse.

My DD had this happen to her in L4. She so badly wanted to score at least a 9.0 on her bar routine. She did her best routine ever and was so excited afterwards, she ran over to her coach and forgot to salute. She got an 8.9. *Sigh*

I was also told an entire point was taken off every girls score because they didn't teach them how to "cut" their leg for the mill circle.

Close. It's .8 tenths if they fail to perform the cutting action (defined as placing both hands on the inside of their leg BEFORE they swing the leg over the bar). Instead they have to simultaneously lift their hand off the bar and swing their leg under it, then regrasp the bar after initiating the "cut". The reason it's 8 tenths is because the value of the element (the max deductions that can be taken on it) is 4 tenths. If you don't perform an element correctly (leave it out or substitute another element - in this case the regrasp before leg swing over is considered substitution) then the deduction is twice the value of the element. For some elements this can be over a point, but not all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back