WAG What is the most common level to repeat and why?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
We are facing a repeat year here and I was wondering what the most common level is that gymnasts repeat. In particular is it a lower level or an upper level. While I understand the need for a repeat year I am also frustrated in the lack of progress seen over the summer. Is it because the skills have gotten so big and so hard or is it something else entirely? Is it my dd or is it the skills? Is it normal at most gyms to repeat or is it rare? Just trying to sort through what is happening and trying to determine if it is normal to repeat.

My dd repeated level 4. We've also had girls at our gym repeat level 7 and 8. At our gym it just depends on if the gymnast has the skills to move up or not.

L8 is common to repeat due to the difficulty of getting 10.0 start values at L9 and the length of time it takes to not just get the skills, but the connections on the skills.
I think repeating compulsory levels is more due to the philosophy of the individual gym and their criteria for moving forward and can vary greatly depending on the gym.

Just from my own observation I think it depends on the gymnast. I've seen some girls repeat in compulsory and things click at optional and some sail through compulsory but begin to repeat at level 8. Also in the upper level not only do the skills get harder, growth spurt and puberty enter the mix -ugh . Plus repeating 8 can be done adding harder skills to make it seem different while heading to level 9 unlike repeating compulsory which you can only redo the same routine.

DD choose to repeat L3 because the pull over was inconsistent. She was invited to L4 that year but HATES it when the skills just are there. She'll repeat L7 because she won't have bars for L8 in time.

In our gym it seems that level 7-10 get repeated the most often. It is usually do to missing skills or injuries the prior year interfering with progress. We didn't repeat too many l3-5 until recently. Now a handful will repeat if they are missing skills.

8. Well, maybe equally 9 nowadays. Back in the days of unlimited Cs at level 8 people easily did three years of it.

Most common... Depends on the kid and club philosophy. But most common,,, 4 , 8, 9

At the old levels, saw many repeat 4 and 5 due to bar basics. My DD2 repeated 5, she struggled with squat on.
DD1 sailed thru compulsories and repeated 8 due to difficulty of skills, growth/puberty, fears.

I'd say for gymnasts that have reached L10, it would probably be L9. I think the biggest jump is L9 to L10.

When you reach L8-L10, it becomes a lot more difficult to see progress. It takes a while to get skills where you are not deducted like crazy. So a gymnast could be seen working on a skill that to an untrained eye may seem merely repetitive. There is a gymnast in my daughter's gym that has been working on her blinds for over two years now. She does not hit the handstand to start or finish her blind. As such, she gets a big deduction. In addition, she can't do a blind full because her blinds are inadequate. Her mother is so frustrated and thinks her daughter is not being allowed to progress. This may be her 4th year in L9.:(

The most common level to ~repeat in Australia is level 4, the reason is kips!

My kid repeated old 4 and old 5, then did a year with level 6 in fall and 7 in spring. Did 7 again the next year. Most likely doing 8 this year unless skills aren't there. It really depends on the kid and the gym's philosophy, too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back