WAG What is the norm for payments during time off due to injury?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, this gym does compete level one. She goes 8 hours a week, we pay monthly and have a contract and buy the team leos and warm ups etc and have the meet fees and assessment fees - in NO WAY is this "rec".

Have not heard from gym one way or another what they want to do with us financially.

Coach P, her orthopedic is a sports medicine doctor, a former competitive gymnast himself, and the "team doc" for one of the major gymnastic teams in this area. So he does not take it lightly putting a gymnast fully "out of commision" for 2 weeks.

Had first PT session, apparently there is some major quadricep wasting going on-she said this muscle can waste super fast with an injury like this. The PT is very confident we can get her up and running soon so I feel better about things, regardless what the gym charges us. At this time of year, it doesn't matter, we have so much spare cash kicking around anyway.......( Not). My kids have enough stuff anyway who needs Christmas presents...

Yes, this gym does compete level one. She goes 8 hours a week, we pay monthly and have a contract and buy the team leos and warm ups etc and have the meet fees and assessment fees - in NO WAY is this "rec".

Have not heard from gym one way or another what they want to do with us financially.

Coach P, her orthopedic is a sports medicine doctor, a former competitive gymnast himself, and the "team doc" for one of the major gymnastic teams in this area. So he does not take it lightly putting a gymnast fully "out of commision" for 2 weeks.

Had first PT session, apparently there is some major quadricep wasting going on-she said this muscle can waste super fast with an injury like this. The PT is very confident we can get her up and running soon so I feel better about things, regardless what the gym charges us. At this time of year, it doesn't matter, we have so much spare cash kicking around anyway.......( Not). My kids have enough stuff anyway who needs Christmas presents...

Yup, I'm kind of tired of hearing how "rec" level one is. Maybe in some areas, but not here.

I definitely wouldn't be bringing a 7 yr old to gym if the dr says to stay out of gym altogether. Why risk further injury?

Could you diplomatically ask the gym owner? Maybe you've already done that, but I see nothing wrong with asking. And prorating doesn't seem completely unreasonable to me.

Yup, I'm kind of tired of hearing how "rec" level one is. Maybe in some areas, but not here.

I definitely wouldn't be bringing a 7 yr old to gym if the dr says to stay out of gym altogether. Why risk further injury?

Could you diplomatically ask the gym owner? Maybe you've already done that, but I see nothing wrong with asking. And prorating doesn't seem completely unreasonable to me.

Well, I'm not going to lie and say that 8 hours a week for the level one routine (handstand, cartwheel, back roll, front roll) is necessary. I find that odd. I expect in 8 hours a week training they would be learning RO BHS, front hip, kip.

So in that respect I might be concerned about what is going on and whether it's worth it. I would assume the tuition is $275 to $300 then which seems like a lot. But if you enjoy it then it's just a different system. We do have xcel bronze but they have back handsprings. Small gyms are different though.

Well, I'm not going to lie and say that 8 hours a week for the level one routine (handstand, cartwheel, back roll, front roll) is necessary. I find that odd. I expect in 8 hours a week training they would be learning RO BHS, front hip, kip.

So in that respect I might be concerned about what is going on and whether it's worth it. I would assume the tuition is $275 to $300 then which seems like a lot. But if you enjoy it then it's just a different system. We do have xcel bronze but they have back handsprings. Small gyms are different though.
I know, but I have been round and round with this, and it is truly the only option around here. Sorry for the hijack!

I know, but I have been round and round with this, and it is truly the only option around here. Sorry for the hijack!

I understand, it does seem that way in many areas, but I don't think that is true in the OPs state. She may have another option. I am not trying to hijack the thread, but it seemed like a related aside when she posted she is paying for 8 hours a week. I assumed maybe like three or four so half of what she probably pays. Tuition for 8 hours is a lot when your child can't go in to condition and whatnot, which is less of an issue the older and higher level the gymnast is.

I didn't think you were hijacking. I was apologizing for myself. I totally agree 8 hours is a lot, level aside, so it can't hurt to ask. The tuition some places is really steep.

8 hours a week for Level 1? My DD did not do that many hours for old Level 4. Seems like a big moneymaker to me. I hope you are able to get a little bit of a discount.

By "rec," people are referring to the skills being taught, not the level of "seriousness" your gym puts on it, if you understand what I mean.

Who cares if you think level 1 us rec. Or not or if she should go in and not listen to the doctor or not. She wants to know if you pay, pay full price, reduced rate or what. Op why dont you just ask her gym and then decide what you want to do?

Who cares if you think level 1 us rec. Or not or if she should go in and not listen to the doctor or not. She wants to know if you pay, pay full price, reduced rate or what. Op why dont you just ask her gym and then decide what you want to do?

Rude. Whether or not to listen to the dr is relevant given that some were suggesting going in for conditioning.

Rude. Whether or not to listen to the dr is relevant given that some were suggesting going in for conditioning.

I didn't take the comment as rude. I think she was trying to make the point that the OP asked what the norm for payment was, not anyone's opinion on whether her DD is rec or not, and not for advice as to whether or not she should listen to doctor's orders. Yes, relevant topics were covered and the medical side is a common question/misconception, especially for those new to competitive gymnastics as they don't realize that injuries are common and going in for conditioning is the norm. Also, there are many that never question doctors orders.
I agree with what I think was Aerials point was, it's time for the OP to ask her gym and go from there.

Of course I will ask the gym! btw her tuition is 250. We have certain circumstances which I will not get into here as to why this child is competing level one, when skill wise she could easily do a bit higher. Yes, my question was what does your gym do in this situation, just so as to educate myself on what the norm is. Sometimes we parents have an urge to get outraged at this or that, when it is really just the norm in the world of low level competitive gymnastics. It is a learning curve. We want to know if our gym is crazy or the whole world of gymnastics is just crazy and our gym is average.

2nd Pt session tonight and child not only has ditched the crutches and the brace but is walking forwards, backwards, sideways, on a treadmill, on a rockerboard, etc. Feeling happy.

I didn't take the comment as rude. I think she was trying to make the point that the OP asked what the norm for payment was, not anyone's opinion on whether her DD is rec or not, and not for advice as to whether or not she should listen to doctor's orders. Yes, relevant topics were covered and the medical side is a common question/misconception, especially for those new to competitive gymnastics as they don't realize that injuries are common and going in for conditioning is the norm. Also, there are many that never question doctors orders.
I agree with what I think was Aerials point was, it's time for the OP to ask her gym and go from there.

I think we were all saying that it's time to talk to the gym. Her tone was unnecessarily rude whether that was her intention or not.

Always remember that we may assign a "tone" in our own minds to others posts. It's best not to assume any tone.

Sure about "assigning tone," but "who cares" generally sounds dismissive and rude. At least where I'm from. And being human, people do assume tone, whether it's best or not.

Of course I will ask the gym! btw her tuition is 250. We have certain circumstances which I will not get into here as to why this child is competing level one, when skill wise she could easily do a bit higher. Yes, my question was what does your gym do in this situation, just so as to educate myself on what the norm is. Sometimes we parents have an urge to get outraged at this or that, when it is really just the norm in the world of low level competitive gymnastics. It is a learning curve. We want to know if our gym is crazy or the whole world of gymnastics is just crazy and our gym is average.

2nd Pt session tonight and child not only has ditched the crutches and the brace but is walking forwards, backwards, sideways, on a treadmill, on a rockerboard, etc. Feeling happy.

lol. i think the whole world of gym is crazy. that's why everyone has to keep paying. it keeps everyone at the gyms happy cause they get paid for the craziness. c'mon, it's better than television and the kids are learning something. lol! :)

At my children's gym, being out with a doctor's note = tuition break of some sort, though we continued to pay full tuition when DD was on a "no hard landings" restriction. I think the threshold is more or less "is the child there for the whole practice and doing something on every event?", and if not, some tuition reduction is applied. The gym strongly encourages coming in and conditioning and participating to the extent possible.

At both my sons' gym and my daughters, any possible degree of participation is encouraged (DD did 4.5 hours of essentially conditioning a week when she had a broken arm at age 5 and was in the pre-team/level 3 group....and loved just being there - I happily paid....didn't know what I was getting into then, mind you!). Make-ups are encouraged if possible, and tuition cuts for extended REQUIRED time off (as in doctor's note or clearly unable to get much out of practice...), but under a few weeks or able to go to watch/condition, no change in cost...as mentioned, we already pay much less PER HOUR than the rec kids, and the coaches are there, etc whether kids are or not....

I do admit to spending time each week trying to figure out how to make gym more affordable (or convince one of the kids to quit!)....and I am very glad we live in a region where the crazy parade of competition doesn't start until at least level 4....don't know what I'd have done if competing at Level 1 was the norm...cause when DD was that age/skill she already loved it and showed some degree of promise, so I do understand parents who "go for it" even with what now seems like very basic skill levels and young kids....I suspect to the Elite parents on here all our dithering about what to do with our 10/11 year old Level 7 kids seems just as distant as the Lower level competition controversy does to me!

Glad to see she's healing and excited to return to gym!

lol. i think the whole world of gym is crazy. that's why everyone has to keep paying. it keeps everyone at the gyms happy cause they get paid for the craziness. c'mon, it's better than television and the kids are learning something. lol! :)
==
You got crazy too? :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back