WAG What is your favorite event to start on?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What event is best to start on at meets?

• Total voters

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
I like starting on floor. I rarely fall and I don't get as nervous. So after there comes vault which is also not as stressful. Before I know it I'm done with half the meet! Then bars which is alright and end on beam. Most of the time If I have had a good meet so far I feel more confident and motivated on beam, so I like ending on it.

All opinions welcomed. Coaches, gymnasts, parents... What is the best event to start on/favorite to start on?

When I did artistic I wanted to do bars first & get it out of the way!

My daughter has a very strong preference for starting on vault. Unfortunately, this season she started on beam 4 out of 6 meets! She really dislikes starting on beam, but at least she got used to it. :eek:

Anything but beam! Vault is always a breeze, so it's a good starter. Bars is also a good event to start on, floor is ok, just not beam because if it goes bad, it could carry on into the next event.

Definitely starting on beam! That way I get it done, and don't worry about it. Either I stay on the beam or I fall off, but at least then I won't be wondering which it is through the whole meet! And from there the order would be-- floor vault bars, which is in order of decreasing stress for me. I end on my best event, bars.

DD says that she and her level 7 teammates all feel like it's best to start on floor because it's the most tiring, so it's good to do it while you're fresh.

For DD, and me as a parent observer, beam is the best event to start on by far - that gets the most nerve racking but less physically tiring event out of the way...and when beam is first that makes my DDs worst event, bars, last... Thing good thing about that is she's able to calculate what she needs to get based on whatever her goal AA is, and I think it makes her try harder.

The least favorite order is when bars is first...she always scores lower on it when there's no "goal score" involved, and then that negatively impacts her performances on the other events cause her confidence gets kind of shot early...and you don't want to feel like that going right into an event like beam (which is what would be 2nd when bars is first) :/...

Definitely vault... I feel like my nerves make me run faster and be more powerful. I actually hate starting on floor because I fall off a lot when beam is last. I think I put too much pressure on myself to get the score for my all around goal. so I'd rather start on vault, next is bars, then beam or floor (I don't like either!).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back