What kind of person does this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Youtube comments are terrible. It's basically a large, unmoderated, anonymous forum that some people unfortunately decide to misuse. So if that makes you feel any better, I wouldn't take it personally, but it is terrible. I'd make it so no one anonymous can comment, only your "friends" or whatever youtube calls it. Then people you know from here can comment positively and constructively. Or - just post the links here and we can comment in our own thread.

As far as the discussion going on about the score, that is about the score that wins in a regular invitational and sometimes at states as well. Usually not regionals or nationals, no, but by then the routines are usually more polished than at the early invitationals, so a 9.1 first place in January could be a 9.5 first play in April...this is really not an odd phenomenon. In the lower levels scores can start off higher, but 9.1 would still win in some meets so I don't really find that all that outlandish anyway.

You have to consider of course that in some events virtually no one even had a 10 SV in the meet. At a level 9 invitational early in the season, you can bank on that on vault for instance in my state, unless you're in the top states of R1, R5, or R3. For the rest of us, even when level 9s are attempting a 10 SV vault, a fall is likely and they probably do one attempt with a back up, lower SV vault as the other attempt. This is a little better now that the level 9 and 10 vault values are separate. On bars, beam, and floor 10 SV is much more common, but early in the year there will be lots of routines without a 10 SV too. And lots of falls at these levels of course...then you add in that bars is the hardest event and even a "made/stuck" routine likely has form deficits, no cast to handstand before high to low transition, etc (not a problem with the original routine here), and yes that routine and score is the best one.

I don't know how anyone can take the comment of "Wow, everyone else must have sucked." as not as bad as it seems. A comment like this cannot be defended because it is just plain mean.

And cbone, all the researching, reading up, watching practices and trying to understand the sport will NEVER replace the wisdom that actual real-life experienced upper-level gym parents have. My dd only reached level 5 (and was about to repeat for the 3rd year) so while I may not be a parent of an upper level gymnast, I have been around for quite a while to have experienced what my dd went through in her years of gym.

And cbone, all the researching, reading up, watching practices and trying to understand the sport will NEVER replace the wisdom that actual real-life experienced upper-level gym parents have.

No doubt, but absent experience (which only comes with time), I'm gaining the understanding that I can now. I know that I'm ONLY the father of a Level 3 daughter (the level that "doesn't really count"- I should be offended), but I am educating myself as well as I can.

My rule for youtube is DON'T READ THE COMMENTS. On my channel I'd block comments altogether but I don't post videos so it's a moot point.

There are a lot of bored kids on gymnastics videos who want you to know that they were a level 8 scoring high 9s when they were 3 or whatever. Bored kids/teens are a pretty solid source of nastiness. Too bad we can't hardness it for power.

That person was probably jealous, but that is rude. I never hear/see anything like that at my meets. I hope that you don't see anything like that again.

I was plain mean. She won bars at FlipFest that year with an 8.3--it was NOT a good routine, and she was embarrassed to win. This year at Level 10 she won the Manhattan Classic bars with a low 7. We don't even mention THAT routine. But Tiger Paw was a good routine and she won and we were very proud. Thanks everyone!

I was plain mean. She won bars at FlipFest that year with an 8.3--it was NOT a good routine, and she was embarrassed to win. This year at Level 10 she won the Manhattan Classic bars with a low 7. We don't even mention THAT routine. But Tiger Paw was a good routine and she won and we were very proud. Thanks everyone!

Hahaha! I just saw that I typed "I was plain mean" instead of "It was plain mean." :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back