What level would I be?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

<3GymGirl<3

Gymnast
I'v never taken any gymnastics lessons, except for in phy-ed. I just teach
myself different skills at home. I can do handstand, round off, cartwheel, right splits,
Front and back limber, front and back walkover, handstand summersault, back extension roll, etc.
I know it's not that great. I haven't used a vault since fifth grade; and at the point I had been able to do a
Handspring on it. I have never been on the bars, but I honestly think I could catch up quickly, I've never been on an official beam but on a ground beam I can do handstand, Split jump, scale, arabesque. Trampoline: front flip, Ariel, front handspring. I'm strong, flexible, hard working, and a perfectionist. I'm thirteen, four foot eleven, And about 80lbs.

What level do think I would be started at? (I will start taking lessons in April :D) and when do you think is the stoping point (meaning how far should someone teach themselves before they seriously need a coach?)

If you are interested in going the team route then let your new coaches know this when you start your classes and they will let you know what level you are at.

Although you can "do the tricks" if you self taught yourself for the most part then I would say you will probably need to re-learn many of them so your form is correct.

When should there be a coach in place? Before anyone self teaches themselves anything. Time for a coach.

My first practice is today (I'm so excited :D) So does anyone have any quick advice
They would like to share: what to bring/wear what it might be like? I'm not sure
But I think it's more of a rec class. And I will post about it tomorrow

Wear a leotard even though it's a rec class, it's still gymnastics lol. If you don't have one usually most gyms sell them for about $30. Just make sure you listen to everything the coach says and have fun!
:)

It's too late to give you advice for today's class, but here's a few ideas about getting the most out of your time in the gym.

Most instructors are there because they know and love the sport, and for one reason or the other will do their best for you. Take their advice as gospel and you'll be off to a good start. GymBee97's comment about having to re-learn many of your current skills is totally true. Please don't be bummed out by this, as it will probable be exciting to discover how much easier these skill are when you take their advice. Please understand that gymnastics skills are often very different to do, than they are to see. So be ready to believe your coaches, even when their advice is the exact opposite of what you think. They are just teaching you how gymnastics skills are done. You ought to be very proud of yourself for learning the skills you have on your own. Your "self learning" may be a hint at how much desire and ability you have, and as a coach, I love having that to work with. Good luck, have fun, and keep dreaming.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back