Parents What makes a good 1/2 pirouette?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
I have a new level 8 and I'm curious to know what makes a good pirouette.
Anyone willing to break it down for me?

Thanks!

The turn should finish with re-grasp of the bar while the gymnast is still vertical, with straight body position (no arch). Many gymnasts when first learning will "dump" over often turning very late which incurs deductions based on the angle gymnast is at when turn is completed.

You should still be in a handstand on the bar by the time you are turned the other direction w/ both hands on the bar. Then of course all the usual good from deductions like straight arms/body/knees, pointed feet, etc.

should all of the turning happen at vertical?

i think the big difference i see between athletes is that some seem to hold a handstand for a second while turning while some seem to do one continuous up and over movement.

Two answers to this: there's the theoretically-ideal and the less-than-ideal-but-won't-get-deducted model.

It is generally understood that a theoretically ideal pirouette is executed on the way up, such that the turn finishes EXACTLY as the gymnast reaches vertical. There is no pause; the gymnast should swing continuously through vertical, right into the next skill.

However, this ideal is extremely difficult to achieve with a straight body cast and borderline-impossible with a straddle cast. As long as you don't stop in handstand before the pirouette, and as long as you finish within about 10 degrees of handstand, it is unlikely that any judge will actually deduct (assuming no other form errors), and for all practical purposes this provides adequate control going into a subsequent skill. Even at the elite level, you almost never see an ideal pirouette (they are slightly more common on the men's side, since the men usually do them out of a front giant and thus maintaining momentum is a little bit easier). While a theoretically ideal pirouette looks very beautiful, in practical terms it's rarely worth the effort.

What most coaches strive for is simply for the first hand to turn before the body reaches vertical, and the pirouette to finish as close to vertical as possible.

Last edited:
Two answers to this: there's the theoretically-ideal and the less-than-ideal-but-won't-get-deducted model.

It is generally understood that a theoretically ideal pirouette is executed on the way up, such that the turn finishes EXACTLY as the gymnast reaches vertical. There is no pause; the gymnast should swing continuously through vertical, right into the next skill.

However, this ideal is extremely difficult to achieve with a straight body cast and borderline-impossible with a straddle cast. As long as you don't stop in handstand before the pirouette, and as long as you finish within about 10 degrees of handstand, it is unlikely that any judge will actually deduct (assuming no other form errors), and for all practical purposes this provides adequate control going into a subsequent skill. Even at the elite level, you almost never see an ideal pirouette (they are slightly more common on the men's side, since the men usually do them out of a front giant and thus maintaining momentum is a little bit easier). While a theoretically ideal pirouette looks very beautiful, in practical terms it's rarely worth the effort.

What most coaches strive for is simply for the first hand to turn before the body reaches vertical, and the pirouette to finish as close to vertical as possible.
Thank you,and good to hear from you. Are you back at it again?

Thank you,and good to hear from you. Are you back at it again?

Sort of. I'm teaching juggling, parkour, and adult gymnastics at Urban Evolution in Baltimore. Working on getting back into pro juggling, and working on getting physical training certs.

I suppose I'll probably get back into the competitive gymnastics world someday, but I'm not in any rush; I've pretty much lived and breathed it since I was about 7, and while I've thoroughly enjoyed it through the years, I think a break will do me good.

Two answers to this: there's the theoretically-ideal and the less-than-ideal-but-won't-get-deducted model.QUOTE]

Thank you for that explanation. I watched a meet and thought that none of the team had hit their pirouette but DD was really excited about how they all did. This explains why.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back