Parents What the heck does natural talent really mean...?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am not sure the "natural talent" is the most important factor in determning success in any sport. Frankly, I have seen far more moderately talented (meaning somewhat athletic, coordinated) have success than the truly natural talents. That is because thing, like being coachable (knowing how to make corrections, understanding body position), work ethic, determination, desire, being smart about outside risk, diet, rest, and mental toughness can trump talent, IMO.

Older DD isn't considered a "natural talent" in either gymnastics or dance, but has been told in no uncertain terms in both that she can go very far simply because she has "the best work ethic I have ever seen", and an "attitude that will take her anywhere". Talent matters, don't get me wrong, but there is a lot more to success in just about anything than talent alone.

I like the last part where Bela Karolyi said any coach who tells a very young kid that they could realistically represent their country in international competition is doing a disservice. I always wonder about the CB folks who post and say "my DD's coach said she is super talented and is going to go so far!" because I feel like a reputable coach would never make such promises. There are so many things that change a gymnast's path.

Although her coach has said she is very talented, she has never made any promises of the future. And honestly she is talking more to others about her than to me (we have some common connections) We are a small gym in a rural area and if it were not for CB I would not even know what TOPS and elite were and don't know if it would ever be an option in our area. Our gym did have a girl go to nationals (I think? In California?) last year--which was a big deal. The team group is small, the girls are close and retention is good...

Given what I have read throughout the replies, I have a better understanding and can now see better why the coach is so excited about her.... She is a hard worker, catches on quick, has a strong desire to 'win' and do her best, and seems to respond amazingly well to those small corrections to detail... It will be interesting to see how she progresses. I know the skills get harder and the tricks get bigger!! She is not completely fearless- but close....

I definitely appreciate all of the feedback! I will enjoy this crazy ride -- I hope she sticks it out for the haul but will respect whatever she chooses down the road. For right
Now the focus should continue to be on fun!!! Thanks everyone :)

Older DD isn't considered a "natural talent" in either gymnastics or dance, but has been told in no uncertain terms in both that she can go very far simply because she has "the best work ethic I have ever seen", and an "attitude that will take her anywhere". Talent matters, don't get me wrong, but there is a lot more to success in just about anything than talent alone.

So true. Often kids are 'naturals' at something don't know what to do when something suddenly becomes hard because everything has been easy before.

Kids who struggle in comparison to the talented kids know what it is to just keep plugging away until they accomplish what they are trying for.

And I don't just refer to gymnastics. This is true in most aspects of life.

So true. Often kids are 'naturals' at something don't know what to do when something suddenly becomes hard because everything has been easy before.

Kids who struggle in comparison to the talented kids know what it is to just keep plugging away until they accomplish what they are trying for.

And I don't just refer to gymnastics. This is true in most aspects of life.

I completely agree with this... And this is precisely why I posted... I wondered what 'natural talent' looks like in this sport, given the fact that my daughter seems to be excelling but definitely not effortlessly by any means. She works hard... Really hard. She sets her goals and works her tail off, her ROBHS is evidence of that... Which left me wondering what the heck I was missing - how do coaches identify talent, (but I feel like I have a better idea given the responses to this post.)

It seems to be a combination of a bunch of things!! I probably need to just take it for whatever the heck it is and just hang on for the ride

... I wondered what 'natural talent' looks like in this sport, given the fact that my daughter seems to be excelling but definitely not effortlessly by any means. She works hard..

I think one thing is a "sure thing" - regardless of whether they have natural talent or not, hard work and psychological toughness are absolutely required, no matter what. I don't think effortlessly exists in this sport ;)

I completely agree with this... And this is precisely why I posted... I wondered what 'natural talent' looks like in this sport, given the fact that my daughter seems to be excelling but definitely not effortlessly by any means. She works hard... Really hard. She sets her goals and works her tail off, her ROBHS is evidence of that... Which left me wondering what the heck I was missing - how do coaches identify talent, (but I feel like I have a better idea given the responses to this post.)

It seems to be a combination of a bunch of things!! I probably need to just take it for whatever the heck it is and just hang on for the ride

This is exactly how I feel about my dd!! She is excelling at a much higher rate than the other girls. ( her lowest score ever 34.150 average for rest of girls may be 30.5) But she a super hard worker, will NOT skip practice for anything. She isn't one of the girls that always needs a drink, or doesn't feel good the minute they start doing all of the hard conditioning. The parents of those children are always telling me how lucky I am that she has natural talent. All of the parents want to complain about the coaching, the girl to coach ratio .... I sit back and think my kid is getting the same coaching as yours but she actually works when she's here and doesn't work hard on finding excuses to not work.

I don't think my dd has natural "talent" per say but I think she is a natural entertainer , I have said since she was a baby she was put on this earth to entertain... I just have to lead her down the right path of entertainment.

When a coach sees natural talent. A girl is usually coordinated, flexible, strong, fast, fearless and focused. It's hard to get all these attributes in one girl. And you don't always need to be all of those things to be a great gymnast. It's hard to be a great gymnast. You really need a combination of things. You need a good gymnast, a good coach and a good parent. I've seen very talented gymnasts with parents that don't have the interest or the resources to help they're daughter exel. I've seen naturally gifted gymnasts in the wrong gym with the wrong coach with very motivated parents that don't recognize their coach is not very good. It sounds like you've got the most important peace of the puzzle. Good luck.

Blas, please do not respond to threads over 3 months old. This thread is over 2 years old and the original poster has moved on from the situation.

I just saw this now and didn't realize it was an old thread, but have to say there is a lot of great info here, so I'm glad someone bumped it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back