Coaches What would make you want to return to a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
We are getting ready for our annual invitational meet. We would like to spoil the coaches. I read on another thread that someone goes to a meet every year because they have aspirin. What else would make you want to come back? We are trying to arrange 5 minute chair massages and we are planning on filling the walls in the coach's area with quotes from the gymnasts about what they love about their coach. And, we are begging the director to have plenty of time between sessions for the coaches to eat. What else could we do for you to love our meet? And, any great coach's gifts?
Thanks for your ideas!

Good food is about all I require to consider a meet a good one (besides the obvious being well run and on time kind of things). Anything above and beyond a good hospitality room is just icing on the cake.

Good food and time to eat it!

...though the massage chair thing does sound great.

Good food most of all! And not TOO much time between sessions...for those of us who will be there for three straight. And don't get rid of all the food before the end of the last session - sometimes that's the only time I have to eat! I recently got a thank-you card from a gym I took my team to, and I thought that was sweet. If the meet is incredibly well-run, I will be back.
Oh, and there is one annual meet that for whatever reason has different, much easier judges:) Will definitely return to that one.

Well run with a minimum of food, err I mean movement going on around the gym floor so kids and coaches aren't having to negotiate obstacles and helper traffic. Understand that the meet will run only as fast as the slowest event and let that event dictate when one touch/last chance warm-ups start and to give the kids the feeling it's not just a score mill that cranks out scores.

About avoiding the impression of cranking out snacks.....uh scores, a small flower arrangement on the judges table is a nice touch, you know what I mean.....ya gotta keep those judges in a good mood. Put judges into the massage chair rotation for in between rotation relief.

Finally, good food with some choices easy to grab and eat on the move to allow coaches a chance to eat on the way out the door if that's what they need to do.

Friendly parent helpers

Parent helpers that understand the rules (esp. That we CAN break squads into smaller groups by bar setting and NO the setting of the bars is not included in our warm-up time)

Session divisions that make sense (dont put novice excel girls with levels 8,9,10 it doesnt make them feel very good about themselves)

Have a trainer or medical person available

Have an equipment manager to assist if any of your equipment is hard to adjust

Have plenty of mats available, 8in, 4in, sting

Good food w time to eat it

Reasonable amount of awards and award ceremonies that dont take forever to start OR finish

Equally divided age groups, not one group w 6 girls and another with 26.

Adequate and comfortable seating for parents.

Team awards at compulsory levels.

In general make sure all your staff and volunteers are friendly and helpful and treat visiting teams as their guests.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back