Parents What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
So DD starts school this Friday (yes Friday, no idea who's idea that was but none of the parents are thrilled) and for all the L3 kids who start school this week since the new gym schedule doesn't start till next week, they're having them come at the Xcel time in the evening to train. DD is at a new school this year so I'd like every opportunity she has to make new friends. There is an ice cream social at the school which is virtually at the same time as her practice would be on Friday. DD hasn't missed practice all summer as we've taken no vacations. Would you skip practice? (Or at least have her leave practice 30 mins early) to be able to go to this event? Her sister is in this school now too so I wouldn't want her to miss out on it either, so I'd at least take YDD but that wouldn't really be fair to make ODD miss it while I take her sister. I realize that with her being in gym, she's going to have to miss lots of events like this, but I feel missing one practice, or one portion of a practice isn't going to totally hurt. Just looking for someone to calm my nerves and help me decide.

Hell yes. Skip gym and let her spend some time getting to know her school and classmates.

If she wants to go after the social, go ahead.

Now, my answer might change if Friday night was olympic trials or something equally one-of-a-kind.

It's a one off and, in my opinion, important for setting her up for a good school year. Skip the one practice and do the ice cream social.

Definitely take her! She's still so young and you guys have done great making sure she didn't miss all summer. A little fun and a treat is definitely in order!! Several of our girls had to be late or miss last week for meet the teacher and it was no big deal at all. Go and have fun!

Ditto on always choosing ice cream! There will be many events missed if your daughter keeps going with this sport - grab every chance to be out of the gym while you still can!!

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem for her to miss and you should go if she wants to, but wanted to throw in one other angle.

If it were me, I'd tell my daughter that I think it would be a nice opportunity to meet some new friends and that she hasn't missed a practice all summer so it should be fine to miss if she wants to go. BUT I would ultimately let her decide. One thing I've learned is that there are many events that seem important to me, but may not be important to my dd. She is the one who is making the commitment to gym, and she should be the one to decide if and when to skip (unless of course it's a family/school/church commitment or something that you feel, as a parent, she needs to attend.) You will get used to her missing lots of things and you will learn that it's totally okay. I feel like we sometimes beat ourselves up not only for our kid missing practice, but also for our kid missing these other "special/important" things that, ultimately, may not be that special or important to them.

Ice cream wins no doubt about it , she sounds like she has been a wee trooper training hard good on her , get her 2 :D

This shouldn't be a problem, she doesn't even need to skip practise, she only needs to leave 30 mins early, that combined with the fact that she didn't miss any practise in Summer should satisfy the coach. My guess is that her coach would be very pleased with her Committment level anyway, I would doubt many other girls would have made it through the entire summer without skipping one.

Not related to this desicion, but if you have one daughter who is a competitive gymnast you will need to come to terms with the fact in man situations that, life isn't fair and one DD is going to get to do things that the other DD isn't. You will spend more money on your gymnasts DD, you will have to plan your life around your gymnast DD, you will need to spend more time driving your gymnast DD everywhere. Your gymnast DD has made this choice, don't feel bad about your non gymnast DD getting to do things that your gymnast DD doesn't.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back