Parents What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We don't make missing practice a habit. And there are times school events conflict.

Ice cream it is.

I think my decision is made!!! Now I just need to decide who to drop the kids off with for the night after having ice cream late in the evening :D
Glad you decided not to be 'that mom' in this situation :). I would pull my DD (training L9) from gym in a heartbeat in the situation you described. I don't say that to minimize L3, but to affirm that these situations will come up from now until the end of your daughter's gymnastics journey, whenever that may be. You may soon find yourself in situations where you want to pull your DD from gym practice when she adamantly does not want to miss it. I find those situations the hardest. I have done it on multiple occasions (for example, to visit grandparents who live on the opposite coast for more days than she expected, to participate in an important school event that would have put extra work on others if she missed it, etc.).
There's a big difference between the girls that flake on practice on a semi-regular basis for not so important reasons, and parents making the decisions to pull their kids from practice infrequently, for purposes they believe are more important than practice. It has been my experience that coaches can tell that difference. They can tell a lot about commitment by how hard a gymnast works day in and day out. Those that give 100% on any given day? They don't get flak from coaches when they need to occasionally miss a practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back