What's the "right" rate of progression between levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

bogwoppit, are there drills that I can suggest that contribute to the back handspring (handstand push-ups?) without impeding the actual learning process so that she feels like she's still working on it or should we just shut it down completely? What do you think of setting-up "gym-free" times at home? I'm going to shamelessly pick your brain now.

I'm just catching up on all the new (to me) CB posts tonight. I haven't read all the responses to this yet, but I highly caution you against practicing any gymnastics at home w/your DD!!! She may be a talented Level 3 right now, and she sounds awesome. But home needs to be home, gym needs to stay in the gym. Not only may your coaching technique interfere with what her coaches at gym are teaching her, but home needs to be the place where she can play w/her friends, study for school, and generally unwind from the time she spends in the gym. No matter what she wants or clamors for at home, you need to set some limits on this before she ends up trying to throw bigger skills from the roof (just kidding there) and really injuring herself (NOT kidding here).

In all my years involved in this sport, I have seen overzealous parents literally kill the love of the sport in their kids by their pressure, coaching, etc.

Good luck w/Level 4!

I just have to second MdGymMom's comments about girls "NOT fizzling" out. So so so many factors come into play as these girls grow and progress in levels. I think every little girl starts out soooo passionate about this sport (especially if they've seen the Olympics, or these days watched youtube!). As they grow and mature soooo many other issues also come into play. Bodies change, fears and mental blocks come and go, frustrations as the skills become progressively more difficult. Factor in the good old social factors that come into play during the middle/high school ages, and it's really amazing that girls stick with the sport as long as they do!

I know my own DD was one of the girls who was receiving 36's at Levels 4 and 5. Level 6 proved to be a bit difficult as they suffered two injuries (broken collarbone then a severely sprained ankle) that season. Level 7 training began and she fell on a tumbling series onto her neck which resulted in some major fears/mental blocks. She quite JO and competed on a prep Op team for a year... it was the best thing she could've done. She came back and successfully competed L7 for a year. After training for Level 8 for spring/summer she decided to "retire" from club gymnastics. She does continue to compete for her high school team, so she's still involved in the sport in some competitive capacity, at least during the winter season. She has just recently gone back to an advanced rec. class where she gets to work on whatever she wants. Not very structured, but she's still involved in the sport. Sorry this was long winded, but I don't ever consider her as having "fizzled out." No... not by a long shot. I am proud of the fact that she has battled through and then finally retired on her own terms, without having suffered any serious injuries and didn't quit due to fears. She accomplished what SHE wanted from the sport. So back to the original post... no... there's no "typical" rate of progression! You just take each season as it comes, don't plan too far ahead and enjoy the ride.

I find this an interesting topic as I was wondering myself. I have found at my dd new gym that they seem to have different expectations on different kids. Like there would be some kids that can do the skill but with poor form and get moved up, while others who can do the skill but they won't move them up until the have perfect form. I don't understand why they do it.

I find this an interesting topic as I was wondering myself. I have found at my dd new gym that they seem to have different expectations on different kids. Like there would be some kids that can do the skill but with poor form and get moved up, while others who can do the skill but they won't move them up until the have perfect form. I don't understand why they do it.

age of the girls, whether the coaches feel perfection can be reached, what the girl's goals and expectations are, what motivates the girls, which skills are in question (some are more foundational than others)

I am looking at a picture of my daughters L4 team from 2007. There were 16 girls on that team that ranged in age from 6 (my DD) to about 10/11 yrs old. We have all changed gyms, but currently 2 of them now are L9 girls, 4 of them L8's, 3 (including mine) are L7's, one is doing JOGA (NJ) and 6 have quit, 3 of them after getting to L7, one after L5, and 2 after L4. Some got to L7 quickly, moving thru 4,5, and 6 within about a year, but then fizzled right out. Some got to 9 doing a double season of 5 then 6 (sometimes tested out of 6) and then just one yr at 7 and 8. Everyone's gymnastics journey is different. Some had fears, some had injuries, some went to cheer, some went on to try other sports, and some just plug along at a slower pace. It's easy to get excited when they are small and young, they all want to be in the gym all the time...they all LOVE IT..but you really have to take each day by day, season to season, one step at a time. Anyone's progression in this sport can come to a delay or halt at anytime. Some skills/levels they will breeze right thru and some things they will get, loose, get again, be on top of their game, and come crashing down with an injury. One great year at one season is no guarenteed sucess at the next & no horrible season is an indication it's time to quit. The important thing is that they are happy, have support from family & friends, make time for family & friends, do other activities when they can & be allowed to progress at their own pace weather it is fast or slow. Best advice to a rookie...pace yourslef, it's a long ride!

Well said, Blackie6! I think every gym parent out there (myself included) needs to carry a copy of your post on a plastic laminated card in our wallets and refer to it often!

And the fact that 10 of those 16 girls are still in gym probably is a higher than average percentage!

I can't believe it...the comments have been piling up so fast two pages were added in the time it took me to read the first three. I don't wan't to miss out on getting my opinion into the mix so I'll type at my very fastest speed of 12 wpm.

To anybody out there that suggests you let a gymnast define their gymnastics experience and and rate of progress, I say BRAVO. As long as she's excited or engaged in a positive way. Although there are exceptions both ways most coaches are at the very least caring individuals who's gymnastics background and expertise has led them to coach. Just to be clear the exceptions are those "posers" who make their program out to be more than it is. They're fairly easy to spot as the are so out there with their "hotshot" level 3, 4, and five gymnasts, but have little to show beyond that leve after many years in the sport. The other exception is the coach that blames the gymnast for every failure and every injury as if the childs sole purpose in life was to drag down the program. The time to really be concerned is when you feel your gymnast is in a program that is the exception, and all I can say is follow your daughter's lead but add in your years of wisdom. Some kids need to here that it's OK to want to win or their own hard work is the biggest factor in their progress. Others may need to be exposed to life's realities and without assigning blame here are a few examples:

Those that work hard almost always improve the rewards (not awards) that come their way.

Most people around you are not able to tell you that you're not "pulling your own weight".

The harder you work for mentors, the more they will work for you.

Respects is a two way street, deliver it daily and expect it from all others.

Wow!, off on another tangent.

I would discourage the back handsprings at home. A great back handspring take a huge amount of shaping and spotting from a trained coach. Just "chucking" bhs on the bed, or trampoline, can add months to the process of learning the skill correctly.

Gymnastics is such a counter-intuitive sport that is is almost always a mistake to "practice" at home. In a bhs most kids are so convinced that getting upside down is the key, that you have to work miracles to teach it the right way. If even had kids question my sanity when I present it as I'd like it done.
When they practicing at home they will make the same mistakes over and over again and train their muscle memory and reinforce their mental picture in all the wrong ways. I strongly believe that as coaches we have to correct bad habits to teach a bhs and we have to convince them the skill is not done as any normal (mere mortal) person would believe. If you want more info on bhs and what it really takes to do one you can always ask, I'm sure you'll get many replies.

If you want more info on bhs and what it really takes to do one you can always ask, I'm sure you'll get many replies.

Truth be told, I don't want my daughter doing them anywhere but the gym and we've laid down the law to that effect. She is the one pushing. Enthusiasm is fantastic, but I want it channeled appropriately. We're pushing her to do more handstands and stretching at home than crazy flipping and flopping.

We're pushing her to do more handstands and stretching at home than crazy flipping and flopping.
I told DD a while back that the handstand was the key to all gymnastics and that seemed to do the trick for getting her to do handstands instead of cartwheel, BHS, etc around the house. The downside is that when she doesn't want to do a chore, she'll take her time walking on her hands to get there.

Back when DD was on pre-team, she was told by her coaches "No back anything" while at home. The only thing she was allowed to do at home was stretch or do handstands, that's it. Anything else was not allowed

My daughter's coaches have said that they can always tell who has practiced tumbling at home (especially those with trampolines) because of their form. We have banned any sort of back tumbling here at home but that doesn't mean she isn't constantly in a handstand, LOL!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back