What's the "right" rate of progression between levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When my dd was trying to learn her back handspring she went down in our basement to work on them - we didn't know this until we heard her crying. She had landed on her head! A few minutes later she started throwing up so we headed to the ER. They determined she didn't have a concussion thankfully, but it could have been that - or so much worse! Now she knows (and I need to tell my youngest who will be learning them soon) that you are to never do tumbling outside of the gym. Scary! and not worth it.

Not sure I agree with you.

Yes there are many kids who move along at the gyms prescribed rate, but you will see some kids who come along who just get skills, faster and better than the rest. We often see those kids move ahead faster than their peers. Coaches can spot these kids and know how to progress them along side the regular team groups.

If this were not the case we wouldn't ever see 9 and 10 year olds testing per elite and competing L9.

Mine is between levels. She's moving into 5 from 4, but there's been discussion of skipping 5 to go to 6. We're staying with 5, but the lack of middle ground is frustrating to me, as I feel like I have a choice between her being bored or her being pressured. That's probably a more exaggerated statement, and it's more nuanced, but it's an easy explanation that works on an Internet post.

Now she knows (and I need to tell my youngest who will be learning them soon) that you are to never do tumbling outside of the gym. Scary! and not worth it.

That was our rule... and their coaches rule, and even big DD who is now "retired" from competitive gymnastics and is cheering, she has a hard time mentally getting into a tumbling frame of mind outside a gym. For cheering, she will NEVER do anything harder than a BT on grass.

As for your original question about progression - every gymnast DOES progress at her own pace, and IMHO a good coach would not be pushing a kid along just because the rest of her group is moving up, if she is not ready. This happened to my oldest, she was in a group of 4, then 3. The girls went thru levels 4, 5, 6 together. At that point, DD and another girl were not comfortable with 7 skills, but were all moved up to 7. Her friend quit. That left DD and friend, plus 1 new girl to move up to 8, still not really prepared. She struggled thru the first year of 8, then decided to quit in the middle of her 2nd yr because she was not ready to compete these skills. That ended her USAG days. She switched over to JOGA (our in-state program) and was very happy not to have to struggle with skills she was not prepared to try.

With Little Monkey - we fought to hold her back at Level 5 after competing 4 & 5 (average scores) because she had a hard time with a certain skill and was not ready for 6. That was the best thing we ever did. We didn't care that the rest of her team moved up, and neither did she. In the end, out of the 14 girls who were on her Level 4 team, she is the ONLY ONE still competing (now L8). By the time they got to L7, only one other girl was left. The other girls all struggled like my oldest, with the gym's "move up as fast as you can" philosophy and got burnt out or discouraged by low performance and fears.

BTW, I don't believe there are any six year old level 7's as I'm pretty sure you have to be at least 7 to compete levels 5/6/7 :)

There is no right. Every kid is different and needs to progress at their own speed.

But what I do know is that success in compulsories, and pre compulsory levels, is no indicator of success in optional levels or longevity in the sport. But strong basic skills, a hard working attitude, good coaching and parents who get that gymnastics is a "marathon not a sprint" (thanks Gymdad2) are vital ingredients.

We have seen so many little ones with "talent" here, many of them have burnt out young and no longer do gym.

The other day I was looking through some results from level 4 sectionals (state qualifier) that were about 7/8 years old. I was looking for a specific set of scores to see if a kid competed that year or the year before in my state (had then moved to another state and gone to another gym, very strong gymnast today). But I kept scrolling through out of interest. This was a group which they probably broke up at the meet for awards, but in the reported archive it was about 121 kids (all 6-8 year olds in the sectional meet).

Anyway, first place was an excellent gymnast who I know, though she quit at a fairly young age around training level 9 or 10 skill level (complex situation, not necessarily burn out). And in the top 10 there were a couple names, probably 3, that I recognized as strong level 10s today. And one was Gabrielle Douglas (wasn't first place, though she placed quite well considering how many kids those results grouped together). She was competing as an 8 year old, not a 6 year old, and went on to win level 4, 8 year old age group in states with a high 38.

But I keep scrolling all the way to the end and I about fall out of my chair because nearly in last place, without even a 32 qualifying score, is one of the best level 10s in the state today, who has even tested elite, places well nationally, qualifies for event finals at big meets, etc. I was thinking no, it can't be...but very unusual name, right gym and age, no way it is any other child but the one I am thinking of. This kid has great, strong level 10 routines today. And she repeated level 4 the next year and placed very well at states, and then quickly moved up after that. Now, I don't know the whole story there, maybe she moved to level 4 late or something, I can't say, all I see is she competed 4 that year but didn't quite make the state cut off. And she is better today than about a 100 kids who did...so it was just one of those moments for me.

But I keep scrolling all the way to the end and I about fall out of my chair because nearly in last place, without even a 32 qualifying score, is one of the best level 10s in the state today, who has even tested elite, places well nationally, qualifies for event finals at big meets, etc. I was thinking no, it can't be...but very unusual name, right gym and age, no way it is any other child but the one I am thinking of. This kid has great, strong level 10 routines today. And she repeated level 4 the next year and placed very well at states, and then quickly moved up after that. Now, I don't know the whole story there, maybe she moved to level 4 late or something, I can't say, all I see is she competed 4 that year but didn't quite make the state cut off. And she is better today than about a 100 kids who did...so it was just one of those moments for me.

What a great story. I hope that's not the norm, though. I'd hate to think my little shining star will fizzle out! ;)

What a great story. I hope that's not the norm, though. I'd hate to think my little shining star will fizzle out! ;)

Well like I said, Gabby Douglas won states that year. But I'd note that she was 8 years old as a 4, which at that time was pretty common, and still is in my state (not many 6 year olds generally).

and at classics a few years ago, she fell about 47597684636597087 times. cute as a button!:)

I wouldn't call it "fizzling out" at all. The thing to keep in mind through these gymnastics years is that each level and each year of the gymnasts' age is different. My dd started gym considerably late at age 9. She was an all-star cheerleader for the previous 3 years so she had lots of competition/performance experience. She spent about 5 weeks on gym pre-team and then quickly was accepted onto the Level 4 team. She had a great year at Level 4 finishing in the top 3 for many events and AA at most meets. Then she moved up a level and things started getting tough. While she had her kip and most of the other Level 5 skills, the fear started kicking in and while her routines were good (in my eyes) they were barely scoring 8's (where she was getting 9's in Level 4). Each level is a whole new ballgame and you have to look at it as that. Just because a gymnast has a great level 3 or 4 season, does not necessarily mean that they will have the same success at level 5 and 6. And just because a gymnast barely scrapes by at level 3 and 4 doesn't mean that things won't eventually kick in and they will fly through level 5, 6 and beyond. There are so many variables (growth spurts, injuries, fear issues, mental blocks, coaching changes, gym changes, school pressures, internal, parental or coaching pressures, just to name a few) that play in to the gymnasts success or struggles with gymnastics. It is best to take it season by season and not look too far into the future because you can't control what will happen.

I know that there will invariably be the usual "every child is different and progresses at their own speed" answers, but what is the prototypical rate of advancement between levels? I hear about six-year-old level 7s and third year level 6s and those sound to me like extremes. Is a level per year about right?

I haven't read the other posts yet and I'm sure they are saying this same thing but there really isn't a "right rate". Every kid is different and the "right rate" is different for every kid. The biggie we have always been told by DD's Coaches is So long as they have the necessary skills that aren't all over the place for the next level that will determine if they move up or not. but that isn't the only thing they use to make that decision .

Also I've seen the "super stars" that breezed through the lower levels fizzle out at the harder upper levels and the kids that repeated levels and had to work for all their skills become "all stars" at the upper levels.

I once caught my then 6 year old DD doing BHS's in the concrete basement, showing her friends, I nearly had a heart attack. I let her know that BHS's were for the gym only. Also that she could cartwheel around outside, and could do handstands if there was room not to smash her feet on the furniture if she fell.

This is very common when they are little. The challenge is to channel that energy into something safe and productive. Most kids are drawn to gymnastics because they are fearless, full of energy and independent. These qualities also lead to base jumping and sky diving! Surviving the early gymnastics years can be a challenge even to the hardiest souls.

^^^^^^^^^
I nearly had a heart attack reading that! :eek: When my dd was very young, probably about four, she did a spontaneous backbend, landed on her head, and got so upset that she held her breath and passed out! I will never forget that. I agree, skills should be left for the gym only. When your child gets older and is doing "scarier" skills, trust me, you will be glad that you set the precedent early.

Cross that bridge when it comes. It sounds like she's doing fine for now. A level a year is normal, but so is skipping a level or repeating a level or two. Most kids do seem to thrive on progress and don't enjoy repeating levels endlessly, although some do stick with it through thick and thin, you don't see a lot of 3rd year level 4s simply because they get bored. By the same token, while you will see some extremely talented young kids who are level 10 by 10 or 11 years old (which, since you must be 7 years old to compete level 5, means they skipped at least a couple of levels), by and large that doesn't happen, nor would it be a good idea even for many very talented young gymnasts. That kind of intense training is not something that many young kids can pull off. Competing at high levels also requires more than just picking up skills quickly -- their form and technique needs to be solid, and that is rare in little kids.

Another thing to keep in mind is that although your daughter is really into gymnastics now, she's very young. Statistically most girls, even the talented young ones, do not make it past level 5 or so. That's just how it goes. It isn't necessarily a matter of fizzling out, it is just that most kids don't stay interested in the same thing for years on end. Your daughter seems to be off to a good start but try not to have any expectations at this point and just take things as they come. :)

I know that there will invariably be the usual "every child is different and progresses at their own speed" answers, but what is the prototypical rate of advancement between levels? I hear about six-year-old level 7s and third year level 6s and those sound to me like extremes. Is a level per year about right?

The reason there will invariably be the usual "every child is different and progresses at their own speed" answers is because that's all the answer there is.

There IS no prototypical rate of advancement between levels.

Not only is every child different and progresses at their own speed, but every gym is different too. At some gyms it is "typical" to do a 2nd year at each compulsory level while they work on perfecting form and up training. At other gyms it may be "typical" to move kids along to optionals as soon as they get the minimum score at each level, and then you have everything in between.

I can tell you though, it is "typical" for a child to alternate between making fast and slow progress and even plateau or go backwards especially if you have injuries or fear issues. It may also be typical to have skills above their competition level on certain events and may struggle on others. My dd's teammate has solid level 9 skills on beam, but is struggling to get her L7 skills on bars... There are just so many factors to consider which is why there really is no typical rate of advancement.

Everybody develops at different rates. People should be moved up when they are ready. What I don't like to see, is to have someone held back because it will help the "team score". To me that is so unfair to the gymnast. Unfortunately it happens way to often and some gymnasts end up quitting because they burn out on the same level year after year.

What I also don't like to see is where a gymnast must place at a certain level at states or regionals before they can move on

Everybody develops at different rates. People should be moved up when they are ready. What I don't like to see, is to have someone held back because it will help the "team score". To me that is so unfair to the gymnast. Unfortunately it happens way to often and some gymnasts end up quitting because they burn out on the same level year after year.

What I also don't like to see is where a gymnast must place at a certain level at states or regionals before they can move on

Tell me about it!! My dd just competed in L7 states. The girl that won her age group, had the high score last year of all the L7s in the state and repeated L7 this year with 38's at every meet. Her routines were all L8 worthy routines easily. There could be something else going on, but really.....

Hey - let's throw in injuries and then the whole repeat a level, not progress, feel pressure/frustration is taken to another level. You simply cannot predict...most of the time. :)

Then there is the leave the sport for a year or two (happens most often in the early HS years) and then come back.

I think what is at the heart of this question and we have seen it in various forms is "how do you keep the gymnast challenged/engaged/excited if she needs to repeat a level because she does't quite have the next set of skills, but has clearly mastered the level she is in?" Or conversely, if you decide to move that same girl up a level because she has mastered her current level, "how do you keep her from becoming frustrated/discouraged as she tries to compete at the next, challenging level."

If somone could answer those questions for me, I will feel like I have been shown the holy grail!

If somone could answer those questions for me, I will feel like I have been shown the holy grail!

I think this is why it should be based on the individual. My dd would never want to repeat a level for the sake of winning more medals. She prefers the challenge of the skills. But we know many others who would get really frustrated if their hard work wasn't rewarded with medals. No right or wrong just different.

Thanks for mentioning the gymnasticszone.com website. I've been looking at it and some of the answers are really helpful!

I looked around asking the same question when DD was newer in the sport. In general, I read that one level per year is "about right" only if a gymnast is hoping to become elite.

Bogwoppit makes a good point about burnout. There's no point in any of it if the gymnast is going to hate it in the end.

If you haven't already, check out a website called gymnasticszone.com ..... it has a Q&A section that has been very helpful to me (this question is answered several times.) I'm in no way affiliated with the site and don't really know the reputation of the site owner in the gymnastics community, but everything that is stated seems to make sense and is corraborated by information I've found elsewhere.

I think this is why it should be based on the individual. My dd would never want to repeat a level for the sake of winning more medals. She prefers the challenge of the skills. But we know many others who would get really frustrated if their hard work wasn't rewarded with medals. No right or wrong just different.

We have found out through her first comp. season and last few weeks that this is also how my daughter operates. She is all about the challenge of learning new skills and is not very score or medal motivated at all. She enjoys going to meets and competing, but is happy with the mandated ribbons and a medal if she gets one. She has been in the gym like gangbusters since she finished competing L4 because they're working on L5 skills (she will be repeating L4 almost certainly unless she really progresses over the summer). This is the right progression for her. As long as she is getting to learn new things, she is happy :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back