Parents When are they supposed to sleep?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't know your work schedule, but is it possible for her to do a couple of classes (outside of Chinese) online instead of the first two periods and do school part of the day? Some states/districts have online programs and allow partial enrollment like this. It'd require you driving her in later unless there is a public transportation option. But she probably could get the work done in less time than sitting in school and would allow her to sleep in a bit more.

It's a long shot but I just found an extra 30 minutes in the morning by checking the actual bus route instead of the paper. We live on the tail of a loop and the official route has the girls getting on at the beginning. I flagged down the driver ( without the girls, dad drove them this morning) and she easily agreed to pick them up on the driveway after finishing the circle. So we all get more sleep.

Is there any possibility the bus passes twice?

Thanks all. I may be doing the 6am wakeup for both girls and driving to the school. I really don't want this to make her quit gym but she knows that academics comes first in our house (we have talked about the fact that gymnastics, at best, ends at 22 whereas academics will impact your future for a far longer period). Our school system has recently launched a virtual school that would allow her to take classes and allow her to have a life. I've steered away from that as I think the high school experience is important but we may have to think about that in the future if she continues to be passionate about gym and continues to have a goal of being a multi-year L10. It sure would be nice for the school system to recognize that the school start time is too early. The real problem is not enough buses/drivers. I have heard of elementary school students where the start time of the school is 8:15 ending at 3:15 and the bus times were 6:15am and after 5pm.

I would also ask the coaches if she could leave early a few times a week (15 to 30 minutes). We have just one practice a week that ends at 9pm and some parents think it's too late. I have told them they are free to pick up their children at 8.30pm if they want to and especially if they have longer drive and school starts at 8am. We start conditioning at 8.30pm on those days. If they leave early they just do home conditioning once a week and show me later that they have done it (they have gym diaries). I think that school and sleep come first. If they have to leave early that's fine by me.

Thanks all. I may be doing the 6am wakeup for both girls and driving to the school. I really don't want this to make her quit gym but she knows that academics comes first in our house (we have talked about the fact that gymnastics, at best, ends at 22 whereas academics will impact your future for a far longer period). Our school system has recently launched a virtual school that would allow her to take classes and allow her to have a life. I've steered away from that as I think the high school experience is important but we may have to think about that in the future if she continues to be passionate about gym and continues to have a goal of being a multi-year L10. It sure would be nice for the school system to recognize that the school start time is too early. The real problem is not enough buses/drivers. I have heard of elementary school students where the start time of the school is 8:15 ending at 3:15 and the bus times were 6:15am and after 5pm.
Kids shouldn't have to choose between doing gymnastics and having a normal school life. BUT you and she may eventually have to choose between going to this one specific magnet school with a live Chinese teacher/special engineering classes/health science, and high level competitive gymnastics. As another poster said, sometimes we can't have everything. And please know that you are not a bad parent if you must eventually must make this choice for her and your family.

The bus leaves at 5:40AM for a High School kid! I thought the US had out out reccomend actions that no high school should start before 8:00AM!

A typical school day here goes from 9:00AM-3:00PM.

Teenagers produce melatonin much later than adults, they fall can't asleep early and they do not function to well early in the morning, this ridiculous schedule will have a serious impact on their school success.

I don't know how it works in the US, but can you change schools!

The bus leaves at 5:40AM for a High School kid! I thought the US had out out reccomend actions that no high school should start before 8:00AM!

A typical school day here goes from 9:00AM-3:00PM.

Teenagers produce melatonin much later than adults, they fall can't asleep early and they do not function to well early in the morning, this ridiculous schedule will have a serious impact on their school success.

I don't know how it works in the US, but can you change schools!

Actually when there are rules it is usually driven by union contracts.

The problem is resources and geography.

For instance in our district we use the same buses for high/middle school and then they go back for elementary school kids.

While it would make more sense to start the bigger kids later here are the issues. Yes the littles are usually up earlier as a rule but they would then be on bus stops while it was still dark, and have more time at home without parental supervision (or upping after care costs) if parents work. Also the bigger kids have sports programs (at the school). And a later start time at school would mean a later end time for after school programs, again upping costs and union contract stuff. And interfering with homework/dinner, for their programs. Public school education is not tailored to the individual, that is why its public school. They do the best they can for the most, it is the nature of the beast.

Finally you also have the kids who need to get to after school jobs. Again, making a late end of day problematic.

Kids shouldn't have to choose between doing gymnastics and having a normal school life. BUT you and she may eventually have to choose between going to this one specific magnet school with a live Chinese teacher/special engineering classes/health science, and high level competitive gymnastics. As another poster said, sometimes we can't have everything. And please know that you are not a bad parent if you must eventually must make this choice for her and your family.

Any JO gymnast in the US past level 5 will not have a "normal" school life. My L4 was going 12 hours a week, getting home at 9pm three nights a week and having to do homework while she scarfed down dinner in order to shower and get right in bed. Gymnastics is not designed for kids who want a normal school life. Even Simone Biles talked about the sacrificing of dances, and school events, etc... It is a choice they have to make much earlier than other athletic kids.

Any chance of driving her to a later bus stop? Where maybe ten minutes in the car takes the place of an hour on the bus? Just trying to brainstorm here.
That's what I do for my son. My kids are at 2 different schools and I found the very last pickup in the AM was 10 min from our home. Now I have time to drop her off then go back and get him. Gives my son a chance to wake up and get ready later.

Are there any other parents at the gym who you could swap help with? Like maybe they SAH and can pick her up from school and you could watch her kids once a month? Something like that? Big hugs to you- this time of year is so hard with figuring out all the schedules. I always have several moments (days) of panic while I try to figure out how to make it all work.

Drop an elective and go in second period (after or around the same time younger child goes to school). If that isn't allowed or can't happen then you have some tough choices to make but I wouldn't even entertain attempting the schedule. It will be terrible for her health and mental wellness.

Any JO gymnast in the US past level 5 will not have a "normal" school life. My L4 was going 12 hours a week, getting home at 9pm three nights a week and having to do homework while she scarfed down dinner in order to shower and get right in bed. Gymnastics is not designed for kids who want a normal school life. Even Simone Biles talked about the sacrificing of dances, and school events, etc... It is a choice they have to make much earlier than other athletic kids.
This could someone tell me what other sport requires as many hours year round.?

My girl goes 9 hours a week during the school year and I hear about it.

This is the time of year I hear from other sports parents, think, diving, baseball, soccer, cheer, dance, really pick any sport but gymnastics.

The parents go.............. "So when does gymnastics start again?"
Me, "Ummmm it never stopped. She spent the summer averaging 20 hours a week."

Possibly figure skating, my schedule was somewhat like this, but not till I got to high school, even more when I could drive myself, but it was more leanient in that we kind of made our own practice hours (except for that bright and early synchro practice at 6:00am on Saturdays). I still can't sleep-in, it scarred me for life :)

Honestly though OP, the school definitely needs to find a way to work with you, that schedule is going to burn your DD out so fast, there must be some sort of alternative. Good luck <3

Possibly figure skating, my schedule was somewhat like this, but not till I got to high school, even more when I could drive myself, but it was more leanient in that we kind of made our own practice hours (except for that bright and early synchro practice at 6:00am on Saturdays). I still can't sleep-in, it scarred me for life :)

Honestly though OP, the school definitely needs to find a way to work with you, that schedule is going to burn your DD out so fast, there must be some sort of alternative. Good luck <3
Great we found the one sport. It is at least somewhat solitary, so the hours are a bit more flexible (albeit still crazy), so in theory ice time before school, after etc... In other words a lot of hours but at least you can work around school.. because 12 other kids arent showing up for practice.

I would highly recommend one of 2 options:

1. Get them both up and drive her to school for her to get there 15 minutes early so she doesn't feel rushed. They can both snooze in the car, which will be a lot easier than sleeping on a bus. If you take this option, she is going to have to be super efficient with getting her homework done during the day - when she is done with in class work, lunch, bus home, waiting for you at home. It is just the reality. Also talk with teachers about this and see if homework can be reduced to essentials - no busy work.

2. Switch to the online school. The high school experience is over rated, particularly for a gymnast with a goal of multi year L10.

3rd option could be that you hire someone to take her to school. It would help with your younger but doesn't change anything for older Dd.

In the advanced levels, swimming, golf, travel ball. Swimming has before and after-school practices.

In the advanced levels, swimming, golf, travel ball. Swimming has before and after-school practices.
Also, Ice skating (at any competitive level), dance (serious teenage dancers do 20-30 hours a week), as well as advanced levels of water polo, soccer, track and field ...

Swimming. Been there, done that personally. And it was double workouts 5 days a week plus Saturdays.

If there is any way to get work done either at school or to and from gym I would go that route. I remember doing my homework in a classroom while eating lunch. My favorite teacher opened his room at lunch time for students who wanted to study, etc. I did not want to spend time late at night doing schoolwork when I got up at 4:30 for morning workouts. So I sacrificed my social time, which honestly wasn't much of a sacrifice....my mindset was I wanted to do well in school and sport, so this way helped me do both.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back