Parents when to encourage transition out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd (L5) is also struggling this year with scores. She seems happy though, and has made mobility score. I'm just not sure, as mom, if she should move up next year, just to struggle again (and possibly more) or to repeat the level to finally experience the sort of wins that she sees her friends repeatedly experience. Not sure which is better...

Can't say I've BTDT (and it sounds like you're getting some great advice from those who have)...but I can offer empathy and support. Eleven to thirteen were the worst years of my life...not when I was that age, but when my older dd was! It's just a rough time. I also know how painful it is to watch your child suffer. My younger dd went through 2 months where she chewed her fingers until they bled...all because she was anxious after moving up at the gym. I questioned everything, including my decision to let her stay in gymastics when she seemed so miserable. I reached out to the coach, and she was supportive and understanding. Ultimately, it all worked out. DD chose "Stronger" as her fx music, which I found quite fitting!

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank you all for your advice and let you know that things are going much better now. She made it through this rough patch and ended her competitive season on a high note, meeting almost all of her own goals at her last meet.

Here's a video of what she's doing these days on vault.

[video=youtube;i4pXq1oWhPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4pXq1oWhPU[/video]

I know she's still a long way from doing real Yurchenkos, but she's thrilled with the progress she's made and she (and I) can now envision her competing this vault someday. It will be up to her coaches, but my best guess is that she'll compete L7 next year and have a great confidence-building year. I'm sure there will be many more bumps in the road, but at least for now, the road will continue!

You guys are great.

I'm so glad to hear that things are going better. Congrats to her on meeting her goals and for her perseverance through all this. These are the best gymnastics lessons in my mind.

That Yuri looks pretty good for this stage of a training cycle into next season..... like, she could compete it by November, unless that video was a freak occurrence and her coaches don't know how to progress her from this point forward, but I doubt either of those are the case.

How are her other events coming along?

Thanks for asking, IWC. She's doing what she does . . . progressing slowly, but progressing. Still no HS-BHS, but doing lots of drills. She has a nice FWO on beam and is working on a roundoff. Today she did her first ever fulls on the floor (with the help of an air floor). They've just started working pirouettes on a floor bar.

Both she and her brother were at open gym together today. It was really interesting watching the two of them working on floor at the same time. Their build is very similar, and his attempts at FHS stepout FHS reminded me so much of hers when she was training toward L6! If only she could compete parallel bars . . .

Thanks for asking, IWC. She's doing what she does . . . progressing slowly, but progressing. Still no HS-BHS, but doing lots of drills. She has a nice FWO on beam and is working on a roundoff. Today she did her first ever fulls on the floor (with the help of an air floor). They've just started working pirouettes on a floor bar.

Both she and her brother were at open gym together today. It was really interesting watching the two of them working on floor at the same time. Their build is very similar, and his attempts at FHS stepout FHS reminded me so much of hers when she was training toward L6! If only she could compete parallel bars . . .
She's doing awesome!! Thanks for the update! I had to laugh at the pbars comment...my ds wants my dd's beam mount to be loops on the end of the beam...

Oh how I wish I could serve her up some of my "special" kool-aid, formulated specifically for balance beam.

If only she could compete parallel bars . . . Profmom

Please, no P-bars allowed for your dd......

I have a coach friend who had her team girls doing dips on the boy's p-bars when one of the girls decides she wants to try swinging to a handstand, just for fun of course, and immediately discovers a new way to break both thumbs at the same time.:eek: Now that's quite a first injury!!!!!

Imagine that..... experiencing life as a nascent young woman with casts from near the tips of her thumbs to near her elbows for six weeks.. Awkwardly the story get's worse, as she experienced another "first" during the time she was cast up and unable to use her thumbs........ for anything. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cross training in the conventional sense is great. Cross training in the mag/wag sense... not so much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back