WAG When to start competition?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stoshy40

Proud Parent
Although my daughter is only 6, she is in the TOPS program and is skilled beyond her age right now. At what point should she start focusing on learning routines and competing and less on skill development.

I am a big believer in skill development at younger ages since, to me, putting focus on routines could take away that skill development focus. However, I have been told that in order to be an elite gymnast a focus on routines and competing at 6/7/8 years old is a must.

I am curious of everyone else opinion and experiences.

If you trust your coaches I'd just follow the path they set for competing. There are many ways to accomplish succession this sport. Your daughter is young she'll have plenty of time to compete in this sport.

Let her start competing when she wants to compete and her coaches feel she's ready. If she's a performer at heart and has the skills, it doesn't hurt to let her wear the pretty leo and have the cute sparkly hair!

My DD isn't elite track and she started competing at age 7 doing old L3. She made optionals by age 9 so I feel like she's progressing just fine. She's not going to the big O, doesn't do TOPs, and lives in a state that probably hasn't ever produced an elite gymnast (just guessing here, no idea really).

We listened to our Coaches but ultimately waited for an extra year before we let DD start competing. We felt we knew her best and it was just too early for her to handle competing and all that goes with it. Also, we knew once she started it was going to only Increase in hours and commitments.

Looking back I would say the most important thing a young gymnast could have is excellent basics. good strength, flexibility and good listening skills.

Competing early does not make an elite gymnast.

Believing in skill development at a young age is only a good thing if those skills are perfect, we see lots of sloppy 7 year olds with rushed skills on youtube, they may have some huge skills for their age, but they are in a rush to go nowhere. Deductions for improperly executed skills is what kills elite hopefuls in the US. Check out elite compulsory routines on youtube, perfect basic skills are what are tested.

In many countries around the world children do not start competing until they are older, but many gyms in the US encourage competing as young as 4 & 5, you must understand that team competitive gymnastics is a huge money maker in the USA, this is not the case in most other countries.

In the end you are really at the mercy of your club, they usually decide what goes. Though now and again you will find some great coaches who are more holistic in their approach and will include parental input in making choices.

Listen to her coaches. They know best, they know how she is progressing. In my opinion, I would have her do TOPs not but wait for JO comp until shes 7. Just my two cents.

I am a big believer in skill development at younger ages since, to me, putting focus on routines could take away that skill development focus.

Are you a coach then? If you are chat to your dd's coaches and see if your views and plans for her align.

If not, it sounds like her coaches know what they're doing. As a parent you should be watching for signs of burn out at such a young age, and ensuring your child is truly happy with her gymnastics path. It is your job to look after the whole child, leave the gymnastics to the coaches.

My daughter is 6 and is in TOPS. Our gym does not promote children participating in meets until they are 7/8 years old. They focus on strength training and flexibility. The girls will be in a meet (not judged) in April but the coach is not even focusing on routines as of yet.

Although my daughter is only 6, she is in the TOPS program and is skilled beyond her age right now. At what point should she start focusing on learning routines and competing and less on skill development.

I am a big believer in skill development at younger ages since, to me, putting focus on routines could take away that skill development focus. However, I have been told that in order to be an elite gymnast a focus on routines and competing at 6/7/8 years old is a must.

I am curious of everyone else opinion and experiences.

She should start focusing on routines and competing when the coach tells her it's time. That is their job…to know when the child is ready.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back