Parents When to start future stars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JLev

Proud Parent
DS is 8 and will be competing L5 this year. His gym is doing Future Stars for the first time this year. DS, although he was asked, did not want to do Future Stars as it would have meant an additional 3 hours of practice. He is currently already practicing 16 hours a week and while he can handle it physically, sometimes just wants to do other things. We asked him a few times but as his answer was consistent, we didn't push. He does not regret the decision (4 of his 6 teammates are in the program).

I've read the program details on the USAG site but it's not clear to me if it makes a difference to be part of future stars or not until age 10. Since they compete by age (not levels) in future stars, could DS conceivably join at age 10 (assuming he is still doing gymnastics and wants a shot at competing at a higher level).

Thoughts?

He would have to be on par with the skills at age 10 to be successful. It's a personal choice, and you have to decide of its something as a family you want to pursue. I know my son, looking back, would have loved the chance. He's 14 now doing level 8, and above age where he should be according to usag. But... Harder floor him now. I think at 8 & 9, if your coaches are training him right, he will be fine.

I think as long as he is getting good training, it doesn't matter. If he is not interested, then I wouldn't push. D did a couple of years and had fun but didn't do it at ten. He is 13 and competing level 9 this season.

He is already doing a lot of hours for a level five.

Agreed. It's intense and should only be done if the kid is really into doing it. While it is beneficial, there are plenty of very good guys out there who didn't do FS or didn't go very far with it. Once he's older, if he's interested he can always learn the tech sequences.

I agree - that's a lot of hours already for an 8 year old L5....future stars seems a great opportunity for the younger kids who really want more and are ready to train harder/work on more progressive skills while competing at a lower level due to age, timing, certain events, etc. We have had a very successful future star athlete in the last few years, and are in the process of re-starting the program at my boys gym - I will say that a few head coaches back (lots of transitions) the HC used the future stars program with all the boys as he saw fit, so they all benefited. We have one little guy who this is looking like a good fit for this year and another 7 year old coming up that it might work for as well. Keep in mind that the level of skills required for 10 year old future stars is way above and beyond what most 10 year old male gymnasts are doing - ( in general at that age they are L5-6, but the Future stars skills at 10 match up with levels 7-9...) so depending upon how progressively your gym trains jumping in later may be quite hard.

Boys gym is set up quite odd, if you ask me....to be in age young you must move fast - then you must sit at an upper level a few years waiting to be old enough....I will that it can all work out just fine either way...each kid has times they can learn fast and times they can't. There are so very few older boys that stick with it - if your kid isn't begging for more at age 8 then they certainly don't need more!

I would think that with 16 hours per week he should be getting plenty of training if he wants to do FS down the road. I can totally understand an 8/year old not wanting to do 19 hours per week!

By comparison, our gym has level 5s doing 9 hours per week, 6s do 12 hours per week and I don't think that we hit 16 hours until level 8. If the boys are doing FS they have 2 hours of extra practice over their level.

Reactions: sce
Thanks all. That was very helpful. As mentioned DS is content with his decision and given the hours I don't think he'll fall too far behind at this point. I'd rather he not burn out.

Cheers

Burn out is a concern wiht boys! Boys don't peak until puberty and beyond, so they have to be patient, and wait it out. My level 9 now does 23 hours a week (Summer), but will start the fall schedule MOnday with 17 hours a week.

Good luck! Hope you'll stick around :)

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back