WAG When was Xcel started?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm writing an essay about gymnastics for one of my college applications and want to include when the Xcel program was started. My best guess from google searches is 2013 but I can't find the exact information. Does anyone know?

Pretty sure that was its official national launch. It was with the new USAG cycle..................... you know "new" level what ever, which will change in another decade or so, 2022 perhaps....................

In NorCal there was something called Prep Op, that was essentially Xcel through 2010. In 2011, the girls at my daughter's gym who had competed Prep Op all moved over to Xcel.

I pulled up Buckeye Classic in Region 5 and it looks like they moved from Prep Op to Xcel in 2012 based on their meet results.

Other regions may have transitioned at different times.

Our region and state transitioned from Prep op to Xcel before it became a national launch as well...prior to that though different states in our region had different levels of Xcel/prep op, which made it difficult when trying to do meets in neighboring states.

Pretty much most areas of the country had some sort of Prep-Op (Pre-Opt, VaOP, Prep-Opt) whatever they wanted to call it for several years.
In 2012-2013, it was known that the following season, Xcel would be Nationalized. Region 5 adopted the National rules a year early. Region 8 and others with strong Prep-Op programs adopted Xcel programs… pretty much every region had one at least on a limited basis, but they had slightly different rules (minor things mostly - Region 8 was slightly more difficult at Gold for sure… I know because YMCA Nationals were in Georgia and we were worried that our Golds would have to change their beam dismounts - they didn't have to because they went by Region 5 rules :) )
In the 2013-14 season, the Xcel Program was officially a National Program under the auspices of USAG.

Pretty much most areas of the country had some sort of Prep-Op (Pre-Opt, VaOP, Prep-Opt) whatever they wanted to call it for several years.
In 2012-2013, it was known that the following season, Xcel would be Nationalized. Region 5 adopted the National rules a year early. Region 8 and others with strong Prep-Op programs adopted Xcel programs… pretty much every region had one at least on a limited basis, but they had slightly different rules (minor things mostly - Region 8 was slightly more difficult at Gold for sure… I know because YMCA Nationals were in Georgia and we were worried that our Golds would have to change their beam dismounts - they didn't have to because they went by Region 5 rules :) )
In the 2013-14 season, the Xcel Program was officially a National Program under the auspices of USAG.

sorry for going off topic.... But why would gold have to change their beam dismount?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back