Where Did She Get Her Information-Interesting Conversation With a 5 Year Old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd doesn't like to run at practice. The have to run a mile and she expresses her dislike of the running before every practice. I just tell her that level 4 has to run too so if you want to go onto level 4 you have to just do it. She is ok with this. Recently she asked me what comes after level 3 and 4. I told her that if she wants to and works hard, then level 5 is next. She chimed in that even level 10 has to run. Next she matter of factly stated that then I can go all the way up to level 10, do the "Challege" and then elite next. I just looked at her ( I was quite suprised) and asked her how she knows about the "Challenge" and elite and she just said she knows. We never talk about long term goals and I have never talked about elite, level 10 or the Olympics. ( She still has not mentioned the Olympics and I am not bringing it up.) It just made me wonder what conversations she has overheard or been involved in at the gym.

It seems like you were talking about my DD and her dislike of running before practice. She has done it for a year already and still comments about disliking it. All the gruff, yet even when it rains she makes it a point to bring her gymmies and socks- "Just in case!"
Your little one seems like she is very observant. She has probably overheard the "big" girls talking.
If your gym is like my DD's, they also do the Insanity tapes for conditioning. If your DD hasn't participated yet, tell her to look out! They are tough! My 6 yo DD is beginning to look like a brick house from doing them.

My dd doesn't like to run at practice. The have to run a mile and she expresses her dislike of the running before every practice. I just tell her that level 4 has to run too so if you want to go onto level 4 you have to just do it. She is ok with this. Recently she asked me what comes after level 3 and 4. I told her that if she wants to and works hard, then level 5 is next. She chimed in that even level 10 has to run. Next she matter of factly stated that then I can go all the way up to level 10, do the "Challege" and then elite next. I just looked at her ( I was quite suprised) and asked her how she knows about the "Challenge" and elite and she just said she knows. We never talk about long term goals and I have never talked about elite, level 10 or the Olympics. ( She still has not mentioned the Olympics and I am not bringing it up.) It just made me wonder what conversations she has overheard or been involved in at the gym.

Cute story!!! Hmmmmm...maybe she is using your login and reading Chalk Bucket!!!! LOL. But seriously, kids are amazingly bright and wise beyond their years at times. I can recall several occasions when my dd was 4 and 5 saying the most profound things--it blew me away. And my dd is also a good listener (can be a good and bad thing) and has "big ears" and often "overhears" phone conversations :rolleyes:. Sometimes I need to be a little more discrete--she catches on so quickly and is not easy to fool!

Sunobo, I would have to glue her bottom to the couch to get her to watch gymnastics on TV. She does like to watch gymnasts around her age on youtube though but she has her favorite ones and some of them are on this board! It is more of a watch and go copy thing in the living room or anywhere else that has a 1x1 area! She isn't one to watch big girl gymnastics unless it is at the gym. She has been called on many times to stop watching the big girls there. I have a feeling she overhears the big girls at the gym.

One of the 6yo boys in a rec class was talking about momentum during his front tuck/layout attempts off tumbl-trak onto a resi-pit.

I was more floored about his use of the word momentum than anything else. He is a pretty bright kid and talented but was a bit floored by this.

Bare in mind, many of the 6yo boys in the program are well, not quite running on a full tank.

Some kids are just ahead of their peers by steps and bounds sometimes.

boy, i'll say. especially when this age group's 1st encounter with "momentum" is when they sneeze or have an urgent bowel movement. or both...:D

But seriously, kids are amazingly bright and wise beyond their years at times. I can recall several occasions when my dd was 4 and 5 saying the most profound things--it blew me away. And my dd is also a good listener (can be a good and bad thing) and has "big ears" and often "overhears" phone conversations :rolleyes:. Sometimes I need to be a little more discrete--she catches on so quickly and is not easy to fool!

This is so true for my daughter too. She was reading one of my syllabi where the phrase "the n word" was on it (not allowed to say any variation of it in class for context). She asked what the n word was and I explained that it was a vile word some people used to talk about black people. She wanted me to say it and I simply refused. (I kinda take pride in the fact that I've never said that word in my entire life.) I'll be darned if this child didn't get on the internet on my PHONE and look up the word.

How they get so smart so young is astonishing. And kinda scary.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back