Which Camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

smileandflip

Hi everyone:
I went to International Gymnastics Camp (IGC) this summer and I liked it a lot. There was lots of gym time and i had fun but i didn't feel like I learned that much compared to what I have been learning at my gym (I went to all of the extra gym practices during Open Gym too, but I only went for one week). I was wondering if you all could tell me about the other camps like Woodward and Flip Fest? If anyone has been to more than one that would be great if you could compare them for me. Thanks! (PS I live in the south so Flip Fest would be the closest if it comes down to the price)

I went to IGC over 10 years ago as a gymnast and did not like it. I went with my team and while some of the coaches were great, others weren't good at all and I just had a really rough time. It's a really big camp and some people love that, it just wasn't for me.
I attended a camp at Parkettes the next year which I liked even less, but there was a lot going on in my life that contributed to that.
A few years later I went to camp at West Virginia University which was by far my favorite. Lots and lots of gymnastics, awesome gym, great coaches, most people there seem pretty serious about gymnastics, as a 12 year old I had so much fun being coached by the college gymnasts, it was small so tons of personal attention, just a great experience. You stay in the dorms, eat emals at the cafeteria or they bring in pizza, sandwiches, that kind of stuff.
I also worked as a counselor at Flip Fest a few years ago and that seems like a really great place. They get new equipment every year so the gym is super nice. The cabins are air conditioned and really nice (especially compared to the ones at IGC in the 90s). Lots of good coaches come each week and they always have fun Olympians who are really accessible and work a lot with the gymnasts and even eat with them sometimes (depending on the gymnast). Coaches are often times college coaches, reputable JO and elite coaches, and lots of college gymnasts who the campers generally seem to adore. If you stay more than one week there aren't (at least when I was there) really any planned activities over the weekend break so it can be a little boring, but usually at least a few other kids are there and you can swim or play around the camp.
Hope this helps a little and good luck picking a camp, I hope you have a blast!

I am thinking about going to Flip Fest this year! I REALLY want to go to the week when Shawn Johnson will be there! My dream has to meet Shawn Johnson.... and this might make my dream come true!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back