WAG Who Pays for Coach's Education?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CanAmGymMum

Coach
Proud Parent
Do your team coaches go to regional and national congress? How about other continuing education courses? If so, who pays for these? Does the owner/ head coach, booster club, or other?

Does your booster club have a budget for continuing education for team coaches? If so, how much?

I'm fairly new to the American system, but it would seem to me that one of the components of a successful program should be at least partial parental/booster club financial support of the coach's continuing education endeavors.

I would love to hear how other clubs manage this from both a coach's and parent's perspective (of which I am both :)).

The gym pays for it, but the money comes from the fees the team parents pay each year (we have a yearly team fee)

We do ot currently have team fees but I see them coming next season. This year are helping pay for the compulsory coaches gong to learn the new routines!
Ii think a lot depends on how your gym does things and how much off budget the Boostr Club has.

Our not for profit booster club pays only for the coaches' USAG fee, meet salary, and travel expenses.

Our gym has a separate training budget that they use to train staff. For example, to send coaches to workshops for additional training and also for stuff like the new USAG training to learn the new stuff.

I guess indirectly, we do with our tuition....we are never asked for any extra fees for this, if that's what you're getting at. It all comes out of whatever the gym has for resources. We don't have a booster club (thank God) so not there either..

Booster club...$5,000 to $8,000 per year.

Our booster club is paying this year. The coaches have to ask for what they are needing each time. We rarely refuse, as we actually do very well on our budget.

Our gym pays for it, but where does that money come from? From the tuition parents pay.

I have been at gyms where one or the other pays (or there really isn't a Booster club).

I think ideally the gym should pay or split it with Boosters. But I'm sure many gym owners will try to make Boosters pay for it. TBH, I think it's actually the gym's responsibility to properly staff and train their coaches but we know about some gym owners.

I have been at gyms where one or the other pays (or there really isn't a Booster club).

I think ideally the gym should pay or split it with Boosters. But I'm sure many gym owners will try to make Boosters pay for it. TBH, I think it's actually the gym's responsibility to properly staff and train their coaches but we know about some gym owners.

The fact is that much of the training that a team coach requires is not necessary for a rec. program. Depending on how the club is setup...this may come into play.

EDIT: If the booster club did not pay for this training...tuition would just be increased...so it really doesn't matter either way.

EDIT: If the booster club did not pay for this training...tuition would just be increased...so it really doesn't matter either way.

This is why our booster club chooses to pay. If we can, and it benefits the gymnasts, then it is worth it!

One thing to keep in mind is team coach hiring practices. High dollar team coaches should already be highly skilled. Their training should mainly be ongoing to keep up with modern techniques.

EDIT: For a regular coach...we actually pay them more when they are coaching rec.

Thanks for all the insight. I am not a head coach or an owner but I do work with team gymnasts of all levels. I also have a young gymnast on team. Our club is fairly new and I feel there should be some sort of policy in place as to where this money is going to come from.

From reading other posts on this board, it seems as though many team programs break even, financially, at best. It would seem to me then, that the team coaches' education should at least be partially compensated by the booster club, unless tuition is raised. A quality program needs quality coaching. If coaches do not remain current on their techniques, their program will be left behind.....just my 2 cents :)

Edit: for rec. coaches, I believe the club should be responsible

Do your team coaches go to regional and national congress? How about other continuing education courses? If so, who pays for these? Does the owner/ head coach, booster club, or other?

Does your booster club have a budget for continuing education for team coaches? If so, how much?

I'm fairly new to the American system, but it would seem to me that one of the components of a successful program should be at least partial parental/booster club financial support of the coach's continuing education endeavors.

I would love to hear how other clubs manage this from both a coach's and parent's perspective (of which I am both :)).

the booster club pays.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back