Off Topic Who's done?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

So who's all done w/ their Christmas shopping? NOT ME! That's who!

I hate to sound like grinch, but I really can't stand it! It's not the giving part, I'll gladly share my worldly posessions. It's the *%$# malls, and parking lots, and long lines, and rude people!

I have got to get out there, some relatives and children of mine are going to be very sad on Christmas morn' if I don't get cracking...

I need some motivation! Someone help me!!! AAAAGGHHH!:eek:

I haven't started yet. I will probably save it till the 24th like I do every year.

I havent started either...
Except i need to be done by thursday because im not going to school on friday and then its winter break...And i need to get my friends stuff
the only problem is that its midterm week...sooo i dont really havet ime to go shopping
They might end up getting their gifts after christmas break :D

I bought first pressies yesterday - mall very busy.

I agree with you - just wish it was all over now. I seem to shop for days and days and all the presents get opened in a couple of minutes. I cook for hours and hours and all the food is eaten so quickly. We really seem to have lost what it is all about

I am so done, I bought the bigger things online either ebay or otherstores. The smaller stuff I bought here and there and stockpiled it. I never shop at the last minute the crowds do my head in!!!

Gifts for my parents overseas I buy online too, to save shipping.

I also do not buy many gifts, kids are already spoiled and everyones elses kids are too!

My brother arrives from Scotland on the 23rd, that is going to be a great gift for us all. I haven't have a xmas with a member of my childhhood family for over 20 years.

I bought first pressies yesterday - mall very busy.

I agree with you - just wish it was all over now. I seem to shop for days and days and all the presents get opened in a couple of minutes. I cook for hours and hours and all the food is eaten so quickly. We really seem to have lost what it is all about
I so agree w/ you, gym mum! It's just gotten so hyped-up, and we are often too busy to stop and enjoy it...

I am so done, I bought the bigger things online either ebay or otherstores. The smaller stuff I bought here and there and stockpiled it. I never shop at the last minute the crowds do my head in!!!

Gifts for my parents overseas I buy online too, to save shipping.

I also do not buy many gifts, kids are already spoiled and everyones elses kids are too!

My brother arrives from Scotland on the 23rd, that is going to be a great gift for us all. I haven't have a xmas with a member of my childhhood family for over 20 years.
Well aren't you the organized one?! I'm jealous. I have this mental block about ordering/shopping for presents before about mid-December. I just can't get into the 'mode'! Then, all of a sudden, it's last minute, and I am stressed. What's wrong w/ this picture, lol?!

Seems you are enjoying some true Christmas/Holiday spirit---looking forward to a family visit. That sounds so special. Have a wonderful time!!

I hate to get morose on you all but I feel like I should explain some of my mixed emotions, so you don't think I'm a total freak!

One thing that is making it hard to feel celebratory is that my Mom's companion/fiancee is dying of cancer as we speak (see, I warned you it was going to get morose!), and we are trying to save money & won't be going out to CA to visit just yet. So I feel like a total poop not being there to support my mom. :(

Then there's this whole possible move for us coming up, which is causing me to feel very much in 'limbo-land'. I've only put up about 1/8 of our Christmas deco's, b/c I am afraid of having to pack it all up, on top of starting the moving packing, soon after the holidays. So I only put up a couple of things, and have not even done the tree. My kids are trying to be nice about it, but I know they are hoping I'll get around to the tree...:eek:

BUT! I am thankful (truly I am, tho' you can't tell from my mopey post here!) to be healthy, and have such a great family. That is a lot to be thankful for. :)

So, all to say, let's get shopping....! :eek:

Omigoodness, definitely not me!! I can't stand malls. They probably won't be very fun on crutches, either.

I went to Wal*Mart this morning, and I dude saw that I was struggling on my crutches, and he literally SLAMS the door right in my face!!!!

You know just because it's xmas, or whatever people want to call it, doesn't mean that all of life's other things go away. I think that the idealised xmas on tv is one of the reasons so many people get depressed at the holidays.

Most people do not have a "perfect" (whatever that is) holiday and the pressure to create one is huge in the media. Lives have to go on and having to feel bad for not "getting it right" is more than any of us need.

MSL you are a great Mom year round, and therefore I am sure that your kids do get it, you have too many balls up in the air and you have to let a few drop to keep your sanity.

I just got a very similar email to your post this am from my good friend who is dealing with the same stuff as you, I sent her a hug, now here is one for you ((((hug)))).

Sod the shopping and book a massage. Let the kids deal with the tree, even if it'll be really ugly and take a moment for yourself.

You know we're always here for you, we all get mopey sometimes.

You know just because it's xmas, or whatever people want to call it, doesn't mean that all of life's other things go away. I think that the idealised xmas on tv is one of the reasons so many people get depressed at the holidays.

Most people do not have a "perfect" (whatever that is) holiday and the pressure to create one is huge in the media. Lives have to go on and having to feel bad for not "getting it right" is more than any of us need.

MSL you are a great Mom year round, and therefore I am sure that your kids do get it, you have too many balls up in the air and you have to let a few drop to keep your sanity.

I just got a very similar email to your post this am from my good friend who is dealing with the same stuff as you, I sent her a hug, now here is one for you ((((hug)))).

Sod the shopping and book a massage. Let the kids deal with the tree, even if it'll be really ugly and take a moment for yourself.

You know we're always here for you, we all get mopey sometimes.
Thank you so much bog, your hug is very much felt right now!

I hate massages (strangers touching me....eeeww!), BUT I think I'll head out for some retail therapy (in other words buy me a little present, before I get going on the others!) and an Egg Nogg latte...that should help!

Thanks again, mucho.

Omigoodness, definitely not me!! I can't stand malls. They probably won't be very fun on crutches, either.

I went to Wal*Mart this morning, and I dude saw that I was struggling on my crutches, and he literally SLAMS the door right in my face!!!!
Oh you poor thing! Crutches would definitley make it all extremely complicated, I am sorry you are dealing w/ that!

As for the dude at WalMart...shame on him! Offense #1: Not helping a nice young lady, then...offense #2 not helping a physically challenged fellow human being..tsk tsk! Oh well. Some people, what are ya gonna do??...

Oh you poor thing! Crutches would definitley make it all extremely complicated, I am sorry you are dealing w/ that!

As for the dude at WalMart...shame on him! Offense #1: Not helping a nice young lady, then...offense #2 not helping a physically challenged fellow human being..tsk tsk! Oh well. Some people, what are ya gonna do??...
I know, right!? You should hold open doors for anybody, it's just common courtesy!

Aww thats so sad msl :(. I'm very sorry to hear about your mom's fiance/companion and i wish them both the best. But I'm sure your family loves and cares about you a lot and so does everyone here on CB (well, probably in a different way). So cheer up, and worry about the important things that keep you happy :)

I hate to get morose on you all but I feel like I should explain some of my mixed emotions, so you don't think I'm a total freak!

One thing that is making it hard to feel celebratory is that my Mom's companion/fiancee is dying of cancer as we speak (see, I warned you it was going to get morose!), and we are trying to save money & won't be going out to CA to visit just yet. So I feel like a total poop not being there to support my mom. :(

Then there's this whole possible move for us coming up, which is causing me to feel very much in 'limbo-land'. I've only put up about 1/8 of our Christmas deco's, b/c I am afraid of having to pack it all up, on top of starting the moving packing, soon after the holidays. So I only put up a couple of things, and have not even done the tree. My kids are trying to be nice about it, but I know they are hoping I'll get around to the tree...:eek:

BUT! I am thankful (truly I am, tho' you can't tell from my mopey post here!) to be healthy, and have such a great family. That is a lot to be thankful for. :)

So, all to say, let's get shopping....! :eek:

Thank you so much, NYGym, you are such a mature person, to be so supportive. And at such a young age! Kudos to you.

BTW, I got my shopping done today! Woo-hoo! It actually gets easier as the kids get older. DD # 1 (non-gymmie, 15 years old) only wants money so she can save up for a new electric guitar, so it was mainly a few other family members to shop for, and stocking stuffers for my girls. Whew! :cool:

Hope everyone else is doing well. Thanks for listening to (reading) my ranting! ;)

I'm glad you got your shopping done :) I've always loved Christmas - but it can be very stressful at times !!! Hang in there msl529 - you have a lot going on right now - sending you a big hug!!

I'm just about done with the shopping - have to go pick up one last thing today. Of course I still have to wrap everything. Then of course my house is a complete and total disaster and I somehow offered to host dd's cheer team Christmas party here tomorrow night. So in between everything else I have to try and prepare for 30+ pre-teen girls here tomorrow night :eek:

I'm glad you got your shopping done :) I've always loved Christmas - but it can be very stressful at times !!! Hang in there msl529 - you have a lot going on right now - sending you a big hug!!

I'm just about done with the shopping - have to go pick up one last thing today. Of course I still have to wrap everything. Then of course my house is a complete and total disaster and I somehow offered to host dd's cheer team Christmas party here tomorrow night. So in between everything else I have to try and prepare for 30+ pre-teen girls here tomorrow night :eek:
Oh my, Flippy! You have a lot on your hands! How sweet of you to host your dd's cheer team party. This will be great fun for her, and it's really super that you are helping her new friendships grow w/ her new-found sport! Good luck! Sending you the maid fairy (that is, after I use her for a bit this afternoon, I've got to host the cousins here tonight, lol!)!

We're done!! (Yea right!)

Unfortunately, every time we announce our holiday shopping chores are complete, there is always be that nagging question: "Is there enough? Will they be surprised? Did we meet or exceed expectations?" And seemingly, that answer is always - No.

There is always that "one last thing," or the final "great idea" we'll have five, four, three, two days before Christmas that draws us out to buy even more. And when we do get the bulk of the shopping done early, we'll dismiss how much we overspent in October and get a few more things during the inevitable December sales under the weak disguise of "saving money".

That's something where I must give my wife credit. She is great at saving money. She knows a bargain, whereas sadly I do not. My difference is that I buy things that I need, when I need them. Where she tends to "save money" on things that we don't need - Ever.

Money savings or not, more gifts for one, means more for the others in an attempt to forestall any "It's not fair" arguments on the sacred morning.

And lets not forget about all our generous friends too!! You know the ones. They drop off gifts two day before Christmas catching us completely off guard? We can't be alone on this one.

Aw Rats! Back to the store we go, sifting though what's left on the speed tables and bargain displays at Macy's, then Wal-Mart, and always ending up at Walgreen’s drug store to pickup something - anything - that reciprocates the "holiday spirit"

Then on the evening of Dec 24th, all the shops are closed, kids are nessled and snug in thier beds, we'll begin the mad-wrapping session only to discover that 3-pack of transparent tape was all used up by DD who felt it nessesary to waterproof her gifts with tape.

Are we done? I REALLY REALLY want to say YES!

Last edited:
I am done!!!!!!

Some of my closest friends and I are deeply involved in charity work for Invisible Children, and so we decided not to spend any money on each other. Because I'm a good writer, I wrote each of them a book that matches their personality. They were so good! Those books are my pride and joy!

For my sister, I bought her the green bracelet from Invisible Children's bracelet campaign.

One of my best friends is not supportive of Invisible Children, but is stressed out, and a tea-lover, so I bought her some unique teas and a nice thermos.

I got my dad his perfect present, but he doesn't know they exist! He was a music fiend of the '80s, and has hundreds of records...but no record player anymore. So I got him a converter...you can transfer records onto your computer, and onto and mp3 player or CD. We have music phones, so he'll be able to listen to his Iron Maiden and Whitesnak whenever he wants.

I got my mom her favorite perfume. Boring, but she loves it.

My grandma, I got her the Go! movie from Invisible Children. She's been very supportive and interested in the cause. That way, too, we can spend time together watching it.

I gave my grandpa, the book Charlie Wilson's War.

We got my (young outdoorsman) Uncle something I can't even really explain.

My aunt got one of those picture frames that displays digital photos. She loves pictures. She also recently had another baby, so we got some baby clothes.

And for my cousin (almost 2), we got one of those drum sets. Ha!

I'm mostly done. We already had the gymnastics Christmas party last night so I got and gave a give for that. Other than that, we don't really give out presents at gym so I don't have to worry about that. As for school none of my friends are really getting anyone else anything so I don't have to do that either. I'll have to get something for a few people still though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back