Coaches Why choose harder "A" skills over easier "A" skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Alex Gold

Coach
I know this is obvious to most coaches, but I'm new to developing Xcel routines and was wondering:

Given that they just need some amount of "A" skills, what is the benefit of adding harder "A" skills if they all count for the same points and the harder skills just have more opportunity to have deductions?

Is it just for personal satisfaction (trying their hardest, not being bored, etc.) or is there score-based reason for that?

A simple example would be doing a back roll instead of a back kickover. Both are non-flight "A" acro skills, but are they worth the exact same points?

(I'm not arguing that we should all do super simple, boring routines; just trying to make sure I understand the system.)

Thanks!

As a coach and judge...
It is not always about doing the 'easiest skill' to score higher.
- Some gymnasts make back kick overs look really pretty - so why wouldn't you show that off
- Some 'harder' skills are easier for some athletes
- Some skills are more progressive to the next skill
- Sometimes as a coach I include a skill that we feel is a weakness, but very important for development to ensure that it gets the attention and effort to improve.

I've had athletes able to do full difficulty within a level, but they maybe are not the greatest competitor so at regular comps they will include some of their more difficult elements and then compete an easier version/strongest skills at their final/championship event for the season.

As a coach and judge...
It is not always about doing the 'easiest skill' to score higher.
- Some gymnasts make back kick overs look really pretty - so why wouldn't you show that off
- Some 'harder' skills are easier for some athletes
- Some skills are more progressive to the next skill
- Sometimes as a coach I include a skill that we feel is a weakness, but very important for development to ensure that it gets the attention and effort to improve.

I've had athletes able to do full difficulty within a level, but they maybe are not the greatest competitor so at regular comps they will include some of their more difficult elements and then compete an easier version/strongest skills at their final/championship event for the season.

Would I be accurate to say, then, that:

- The skills are equal in and of themselves.

- But aim for the cleanest skill for that gymnast, even if it’s a “harder” skill.

- For the sake of future skills and morale, throw harder skills when they can do them cleanly (but it doesn’t give a better score at this particular moment to do so).

Does that sound right? I agree, just making sure I got the angles

I think it really depends on what matters to you as the coach/ the club and the customers (parents).
There are exceptions to everything: for a six year old Xcel bronze gymnast - I wouldn't be changing routines - too much for young brains - but for the average level six+ athlete yes I might change skills a bit.

Personally I prefer athletes to be competing a level below the skills they are training. So they compete level three, they have most of their level four skills which they are polishing and they are playing/developing their level six+ skills.

Doing well in competition is important for building confidence (and maintains customers in some areas). Drilling basic routines over and over gets boring, especially for talented kids. You need to find a balance that works for your situation.

I think it really depends on what matters to you as the coach/ the club and the customers (parents).
There are exceptions to everything: for a six year old Xcel bronze gymnast - I wouldn't be changing routines - too much for young brains - but for the average level six+ athlete yes I might change skills a bit.

Personally I prefer athletes to be competing a level below the skills they are training. So they compete level three, they have most of their level four skills which they are polishing and they are playing/developing their level six+ skills.

Doing well in competition is important for building confidence (and maintains customers in some areas). Drilling basic routines over and over gets boring, especially for talented kids. You need to find a balance that works for your situation.
Yeah, that sounds right to me. Just my first season competing so making sure all of my ducks are in a row :D

I think the ethos of the XCEL program—as communicated through the Code of Points—is that freedom of expression and inclusivity is more important than brute athletic capabilities. Your backward roll vs. bridge kickover is a perfect example. For some kids, backward rolls are physically harder than bridge kick overs. For some kids, bridge kick overs just look nicer. In all cases, coaches should optimize for a positive competitive experience. A good time to compete harder skills is after a student has flourished with an easier routine (and has expressed interest in "leveling up").

As a coach I find the XCEL Code of Points intimidating because it is less prescriptive than DP, and thus requires more planning, creativity, and individualization. But the upfront effort allows me to serve the diverse needs of my students. The way I see it, XCEL is not about making cookie cutter gymnasts. It's about making happy, healthy, and confident adults.

In my experience, harder A skills can score better. On Xcel Silver, the ‘basic’ routine for our gym was glide swing-pullover cast cast back hip circle (specialized dismount by kid). DD and one other teammate both ended up competing kip front hip circle - cast - back hip circle - underswing dismount. Both are all A skills, but the second routine was much harder. The two doing the second routine often scored higher, even when the skills weren’t as pretty. I think judges prefer pretty/clean routines, but harder skills are better if they’re cleaner or similarly clean to easier skills.

Some A skills are easier for some kids than others - that goes for all letter skills, there’s skills my kid can’t believe are valued what they are because they’re so easy for her, and others she’s like… hell no, hard pass, could never

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back