WAG Why?? What is the top reason for a lost skill?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Judybird

Proud Parent
So, primarily i am asking this question in terms of a lost kip and lost press handstand. But i imagine that the answer could apply to other skills as well. Do kids lose kips and press handstands because of inadequate strength, flexibility, or lack of mental cues? Naturally i am asking so i can give my DD reasonable comments as she struggles to regain/retain these skills.

I would have put growth as #1 after watching DD, who competed L8 this past season, struggle with her kip cast handstand for the last few months.

I would have put growth as #1 after watching DD, who competed L8 this past season, struggle with her kip cast handstand for the last few months.

The only reason I didn't is if it happens quickly. Like you get teh skill one week, gone the next.

But yes, if over time, growth is huge. D lost and found several skills. Tell her to check under the mat...that is where d's skills like to hide!

Dd never lost her kip, despite everyone saying it's completely normal to. Once she got it it stuck. That press to handstand however.. Omg!! It is seriously hit and miss as to whether she can do it or not, and I think that one does come down to strength. She's not at all naturally strong, and she works very hard to maintain her strength the best she can, but she's "had" that skill for over a year now and some days she can do it, others she can't even get her toes off the ground. So I dunno about that one!

She's lost other skills (squat on) due to fear, and others (front salto) due to an insane amount of repetitiveness and correcting that she just mentally went "can't do this".

It's a function of progress. You can only lose a skill if you have it...... if you get what I mean. Sure there's other things like vestibular, lack of interest in the particular skill, or belief in a model for the skill that differs from the coach's, but typical "got it/lost it/got it" is part of learning.

If it is a newish kip, I think this is par for the course. We were always told, they get it, lose it for about 4-6 weeks then "get it for real"

If it is not a new kip, then I would say growth spurt, I caught the end of practice and was like holy cats, that clear hip looks wackadoodle....1.5 inches taller...that is what caused it. It was temporary while she got used to it.
Not kidding (dd 11.75 yo had a 1.5 in growth spurt over christmas and then a 1 in spurt while we were at a travel meet end of feb (yes, in less than a week she grew)

#1 reason I've girls lose skills is due to a growth spurt...and that sometimes then leads to fear and vestibular issues too

When my daughter's kip disappeared, I quit asking her about it and decided she rode her bike too close to some intergalactic wormhole and her kipping self slipped in and a different one came out. Then I went and had a cocktail and a long walk with a couple of my gymmom buddies.

Just kidding (well on part of it anyway).... Growth spurt.

It's a function of progress. You can only lose a skill if you have it...... if you get what I mean. ....., but typical "got it/lost it/got it" is part of learning.
Yes, I think its called SH :D

For my dd, when she's lost skills, it's been a slight growth spurt. It will last 2 weeks to a month (so far) & poof! The skill is back again. It makes her feel off some how, not normal & I guess that makes her fearful? So, we just always cross our fingers for summer growth spurts & not meet season ones!!

IME the #1 reason is that the gymnast took every instruction to heart in order to "get" the skill. Once they got it, they let it go on auto-pilot too soon. This can be the coach's fault for pulling the drills too soon, or the gymnast's fault for blowing off the assigned drills once they get the skill. Going back to the drills that helped them get the skill in the first place is usually the answer (which they hate, BTW, because they think the time would be better spent trying the skill over and over until they get it back). All of the other theories are valid too (fear, growth, etc.), but my first choice would be abandoning drills too early in the learning process.

In the case of the kip, it was there dor a week and now gone. So that would fall under "never really had it". I tend to be a pessimistic person. So i am mentally preparing for no kip this summer which will mean no level 4 in the fall. I was just searching for some way i could keep hope.

Thanks for the reality check.

Every child is different. And I swear that kip is the most fickle trick in the book. My kid lost it TWICE before she got it for good. The whole process was a little over a two month idea.:eek: And even now there are times she doesn't hit it, for whatever reason.
Here is my theory. The harder the trick, the harder to hold onto it...at first. Tricks are learned and then lost, and then learned again. But when the trick is really mastered it is hit with a high percentage. But it happens to my child all the time, and it seems perfectly normal with the other girls at the gym too. Oh, and don't forget if your child has a fall shortly after she has learned the trick...sigh.
I would have a lot of hope for that kip coming back! It is not far into summer. Think positive!!

The other thing with losing tricks goes with what the above poster said...once they get it, but then lose it, they try to 'force' it, so to speak. And thus all form goes to heck. That kip can't be forced nor rushed, and according to those more in the know than I, if one part of that thing is off, you are scr*wed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back