Wobbles on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Balance is all about having a solid core and being able to find your center. Remind yourself to hold your stomach, squeeze your butt, shoulders back and feel lifted, like you have a string attached to your head that someone is pulling up towards the sky.

Lots of times my problem with balance on beam is because I don't plant my feet firmly or land lock-legged. For instance, on my FWO my first foot comes down fine but if I don't put my second foot down really hard on the beam I don't make it. I have awesome jumps on beam but if I land them lock-legged it's a lot harder to stick them.
Just a couple of things to keep in mind :)

If you say beam is your best event and you're only wiggly at meets you're probably just nervous, so you don't really need strength to fix it; you need lots of visualization and practice in pressure situations. I get really nervous for beam at meets and this is what I do to calm down:

I get especially nervous for my backhandspring so the whole day before the meet I use visualization and do some handsprings on a line imagining I'm on a high beam. Then at the meet I do some skills on a line and visualize my whole routine about 5 minutes before I'm up. Then I try to relax by breathing deeply. Then I salute the judge and all I think the whole routine is "confidence". If I'm completely focused I'm not as nervous and I usually don't wiggle as much. Hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back