Parents WOGA Advanced summer camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's a good thing your mom put you into gym. I would completely freak out if I saw my child walking on top of the swing set. I can barely watch her climb the rope at the gym. I always have this fear that she'll get to the top and just let go. I'm also afraid of heights so that doesn't help.

Haha yeah, I guess it was a good idea. Also when one of my older brothers friends came over they showed us he could swing and do a back flip off the seing. Those were sooooo much fun tooo. I was like 8 or 9 at the time and and been in gym for a couple of years. :D

Yeah it wouldn't help if you were scared of heights.

My DD walked on the top of the swingset too. We were so used to it that we didn't even notice it anymore really and we had a friend come over and see her out there and she screamed and tried to run out there to get her down. We laughed and laughed. :)

Tree fort

When my DD was 14 months old, she used to climb up the ladder into the tree fort that was about 6 ft off the ground. She was following her big brother who is 3 years older. We were used to it but my neighbor just totally freaked out. She is now training level 8.

I used to find my oldest on top of the fridge when she was just over a year old, scared the life out of me as my first born was so tranquil. She would also leave anywhere she wanted to leave, we had to fence in our yard (in the countryside, no cars etc), playgroup had to installl extra locks etc just for her. She was a crazy loom until she was 7 or so. Gymnastics was a life saver for me, she had so much fearless energy I would have to be on my toes 24 hours a day!

My ds was the very active escape artist. He climbed out of his crib when he was about 10 or 11 months old. It's a funny story--Dani was almost 4 and she yelled downstairs to me "Mommy! Come here quick!". I came up to their room and there was Julian standing outside his crib. I looked at Dani and said "How did you get him out of that crib??" She insisted that she didn't do it. I put Julian back into his crib and went into the other room. About 2 minutes later Dani yells to me "Mommy--come here!! Look at Julian!". I came in and low and behold there was Julian with his one leg over the top of the railing of the crib! It got me curious so I just continued to watch him, and he had pulled himself up and over the railing and swung himself down onto the ground. LOL. It wasn't too long untill he learned how to unlock locked doors. I had to put an outside lock on his door and put a heavy chair in front of it because he would "escape at night" and wander around the house. UGH!!!! Dani was so relaxed and tentative as a baby and toddler--I was totally not ready for Julian to be this way!!!

He is still full of energy and just as mischevious. I put him in Jiu-Jitsu to help burn up some of his energy. So far so good!!

Maybe we should take a pole: how many gymnast as little children liked to climb on top of the swing sets or other heights and freak out everyone but their mothers?

My dd's 4yo pre-school teacher pulled me aside after the first week of school to ask me to talk with my dd about not climbing on top of the swing set at school. DD was upset because she found the 4yo play set boring. She was use to us letting her climb and play. I don't know how many times I had to ask people to leave her be at play-grounds because she was safer climbing on her own than when someone tried to "help" the poor, tiny child whose negligent parents had allowed her to get "so high" or trapped" at an unsafe height. :eek:

Mine also climbed from her crib between 10 and 11 months old. We moved her to a low bed at that time. Luckily in our old house the door handles where too high for her to reach to open the door from her room - and she had nothing in her room to stack up!!

How in the world did you deal with a child under one out of a crib? I don't think my kids would take a nap at that age without a crib. I left my DD in her crib until she was over 3 years old. She had the tent thing I mentioned so she couldn't climb out. I will leave my 14 month old in a crib until college if I can!

Often when she would nap I would lay down with her and rub her back until she was asleep. This often put me asleep too. Considering she did not sleep through the night until she was 3yo because of an undiagnosed medical problem - I needed that nap. Really, she was good when she woke up. She would play in her room by herself. She has always been introverted and independent.
Also, she was my first. I just didn't think about it being odd or inconvenient. I figured if she could climb out of the crib - then it was time to move on.

My son, three years younger than his sister, was out of the crib at about 18 months. That's when his sister taught him to jump from the edge of the crib onto her bed:eek: He continued to nap, but only because he would get so tired he would pass out somewhere - the car, his high-chair, the floor, his stroller. With him I learned that napping does not have to take place in a bed. Where ever he fell out I left him. Except the car - luckily, he sleeps like a rock and could be moved inside without waking him. The stroller I would leave in the hall. If he passed out on the floor, I just covered him with his blanket.

Guess I have never been a over-worried parent about these things. Life rolls on - roll with it!

How in the world did you deal with a child under one out of a crib? I don't think my kids would take a nap at that age without a crib. I left my DD in her crib until she was over 3 years old. She had the tent thing I mentioned so she couldn't climb out. I will leave my 14 month old in a crib until college if I can!

It wasn't easy--believe me!!! I ended up taking the side off of the crib and lowering the mattress to the lowest setting and turning it into a toddler bed. His sister was in the same room that they shared so she kind of kept an eye on him. When he got a bit older (2 and 3 years) I had to lock the door from the outside just so that he would stay in his room. We was a good sleeper so he usually slept through the night.

We also had to take most of the furniture out of the living room as well because he would climb on EVERYTHING! We just used a coffee table as our dinner table and ate "japanese style" sitting on the floor. You would think he was the gymnast of the family. He tried gym for a while, but he doesn't have the patience for waiting in line and he is bored easily. Martial arts seems to be a good fit for him :).

For those of you who are interested Joscelyn started off a little slow, just sort of feeling things out. Once she got the hang of things she was able to keep up. Her Mom said at the end of camp that she was the best tumbler there, but definitely needs work on the bars and the beam. I say thats not too bad for a 4 year old in a 6-9 year old advanced camp.
I had the pleasure to see This child at this camp as my daughter was in the Advanced-Elite Rec Group that was having camp at the same time I have to say this child by far was more focused than any child in her group and than any 4 yr old I have ever seen! She is also a very tough cookie took a spill on beam and thought about getting upset but then bounced back with out a tear!! Look forward to seeing her in a few years when she starts compulsories!

I had the pleasure to see This child at this camp as my daughter was in the Advanced-Elite Rec Group that was having camp at the same time I have to say this child by far was more focused than any child in her group and than any 4 yr old I have ever seen! She is also a very tough cookie took a spill on beam and thought about getting upset but then bounced back with out a tear!! Look forward to seeing her in a few years when she starts compulsories!

Ok I understand the term 'advanced recreational' but 'advanced - ELITE recreational' What on earth is that? Is that elite and level 10 gymnasts who have retired and are doing gym for fitness or fun? What a great idea.

This ole thread has taken a few odd turns. I'm going to be dull and go back to the original topic.
Jos looks like a terrific little gymnast. I think it's great she has a such support and wonderful opportunities. :)

Ok I understand the term 'advanced recreational' but 'advanced - ELITE recreational' What on earth is that? Is that elite and level 10 gymnasts who have retired and are doing gym for fitness or fun? What a great idea.

Many NOrth AMerican gyms have very interesting names for ther pre team classes. I know we have had lots of confused new parents who come here and say "my dd is in shining stars 2, what skills will she need tomove to Manic Metoers?", then of course they have to learn that those are not real levels, but just a way for clubs to identify groups before team.

Glad she had fun, saw your video and she is such a cutie patootie! She looks so focused for a 4 yr old!

Woga divides the kids based on age and ability so that you dont have a 15 year old working back hand springs and a 5 year old working front rolls. they have beginner, intermediate, advanced and advanced elite. the younger kids have the same divisions just with preschool attached. (ie. Preschool advanced) That is it no big thing. ADV E kids are the one who are usually pre team etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back