Parents WOGA Camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovofu

Proud Parent
Hello,

Have any of you outside of Texas sent your daughter to the WOGA competitive summer training camp? Just thinking it might be fun but wanted to check with all of you!!

Hello,
I am new here, and we are in TX but I thought I might be able to help you with your question.

My oldest dd L8 will be going to WOGA competitive camp for the 4th year in a row. She has enjoyed it every year and it has become a tradition. My 3rd dd, L4 is thrilled to be eligible to go for the first time this summer.

What questions do you have about the camp?

I was wondering if it's more of a fun camp or a skills camp or a nice blend? Also, will my daughter be out of place coming from Virginia? Do they group the girls by skills? or age?

Thanks so much for replying.

Karen

Hey there,

The camp has changed quite a bit over the years. The first year we went, there were mostly TX girls and in mostly compulsory levels. The second year we saw a few more optionals girls and more girls from out of TX. This last year, there were a lot more optionals girls (though the camp is still mostly compulsory) and I definitely noticed more girls from out of state and one even was from the Phillipines or something (I believe she was already here visiting family and just happened to go to camp). So if the trend continues, my 2 girls will be the ones that are out of place, being Texans. ;-)

I asked my dd and she said she thought it was a nice blend. They work out from 9A-noon, then lunch, then an hour or so in the afternoon. I have never stayed there the whole time, but I have come back to see them playing gym-related games sometimes and other times working hard. The after workout activities include an ice cream social, an evening at one of those Dave and Buster's type places, and an afternoon at Hawaiian Falls, a local water park (this is a lot of fun).

They mostly group the girls by the level they will be competing the next season. If they see a girl who is advanced for her level, they may move her up and have her work with the next level. My dd says she has gotten some good tips and it is just overall fun to have Valeri Liukin and the whole All-Star WOGA staff coaching her, but it isn't like she came out of there a polished superstar each year. So I think if there are expectations of learning a bunch of skills in one week, there will be some disappointment. If you just expect to have fun and work out with some very awesome coaches, then it is great.

Every year Nastia has come out to speak to the girls and to sign autographs--they have a big party with balloons and stuff. Carly has also come back all 3 years. The first year we got to meet Rebecca Bross when she was an up and coming junior, and since it was 2008 and pre-Olympic, Nastia came and worked out with the girls one morning. This was really cool for the girls (at least it was for my girl). It is also really neat to chat with their up and coming juniors and lesser known seniors--in fact since these girls are less well known, they are more likely to talk to the campers. Briley Cassanova was really nice to my dd. We also got to watch their elite team work out one afternoon and they were also available for autographs at the party.

I have chatted at times with some of the other parents and the ones who seemed upset were the ones who were expecting long hard hours and coaching from the WOGA staff as if they were their own gymnasts. One mom couldn't believe there was no conditioning and that they only worked out 4-5 hours per day, max, usually less. A few got upset because their girls were placed in a group that was "lower" than what they felt their girls should be in. ::shrug::

Honestly, I think it is just a lot of fun with some good quality workouts put in. I guess if you are from a big name gym with your own Olympians, then it is not a big deal, but for my gymnast, she was thrilled to meet all these girls that she has looked up to for all these years and to be coached by some world class coaches.

Let me know if you decide to come and I will look for you. :) What level is your gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back