WAG Woodward TAP?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kayjaybe

Proud Parent
If you know the TRUE scoop, please fill me in - is it a random draw? Or something else?

My dd got tapped this week at camp. Honestly, she is NOT a superstar. And we aren't doing it because our gym discourages (strongly) attending w/o the team.

But just curious how the kids are chosen.

From what I could tell when I was there its the coaches pick.
Usually the kids who talked with the coaches and worked hard throughout the week.

But maybe someone who has worked at Woodward or been a coach there could confirm this?

I'd also like to know ht exactly tap week is like?

I believe the head coach of the group picks campers to be tapped. Idk if there is a certain number they have to pick or not. But it is for the hardworking gymnasts and the ones who always have a good attitude and want to learn. When I was tapped, I definitely wasn't the best in my group or anything, I just learned my straddle back in like 2 days and the coach was impressed. But sorry I did not go to tap week so I cannot tell you about it.

My other daughter went to Woodward last summer and was tapped. She was there for cheer but it's the same thing. It's the kids who the coaches think worked the hardest all week. I don't know how many each coach is allowed to give out but I know 2 in my daughters individual training group were picked. When you are tapped you get $300 off on a specific week if they want to go back. We didn't send her back because where we live school was already back in but also because I worked there in order to send her for one week I certainly couldn't afford to do a second week even with the discount.

Coaches of the group pick based on work ethic and attitude...not ability.

My daughter was tapped both times she went to Woodward. Its all about working hard, spirt, sportsmanship, attitude.
My daughter did not go either year because none of her friends wanted to go back. Loved our experience at Woodward (I was a camp mom) but its also a really hard week on the kids if they take full opportunity to train.
My daughter did all three training sessions as well as horseback ride, rope climbing, swimming etc.
I think its actually really hard on their bodies. And the last time I went I didn't find that the conditioning was very good. Without good conditioning and prep there comes injuries.
I think she would go back when she is older - say 13 to 15 yrs old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back