Parents Worst mum in the world

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have let my DD go in the past.
Then, like OP, she was out of gym (mono, not an injury, but still out) for 4 weeks straight and was unbearable.
The next time she went to a skating party, I was on edge. Before having her out of gym for a solid month, I hadn't given it thought. After the experience, my awareness tripled. Mostly because I didn't want to have her out again.

That said, she had a stress fracture in her back last year from beam BWOs, then about to be cleared to tumble, and sprained her ankle in conditioning.

So, you just never know...
My daughter had a birthday party at an ice rink with a bunch of gymmies. They had a blast. Hard to get hurt crawling along on the ice.;)

I'm more a throw caution to the wind/you only live once kind of mom. My kids spend a decent amount of time in trampoline parks. My younger DD, who's a T&T gymnast, has always had coaches who were totally okay with it. They also ride bikes and mopeds and ice skate and surf and cliff jump (into the ocean) and use big knives in the kitchen...and they do gymnastics. I guess I figured that their chosen sport is fairly injury prone, so if I was okay with that I would feel hypocritical limiting other reasonable risks. On the inside I sometimes want to wrap them in bubble wrap for life though.

Another odd duck here, but it would be my dd being the odd duck-ling.....
She wouldn't go to one of those parties.
And hasn't when asked.
Because, being tiny, she knows she would get run over. She did a bounce house one once.....and that was it for her....it was gnarly. And the kids are having way too much fun to notice or care honestly. But when I was a kid, I loved them!
One of OG's best friends broke her arm in a bounce house with only 2 other kids the same size in it with her, but I have seen some where they allow as many as 8 kids in the same one - crazy!!!

Only you can decide what's right for your own children. However if it was me I would let my DD go- certainly given the time of year it is (months from grades).

I just feel that they miss out on so much (Friday night sleepovers, play dates, after school clubs, birthday parties) that if there's a chance for a bit of normal (even if it is with gym friends) then I'd try and make it happen.

Sure there is a chance she could get hurt, but she could get hurt anywhere - I know a girl who ended up in hospital due to a paper cut!

If it was closer to competition time then maybe not but so far out - I'd do it but that's just me - maybe I'm the 'worst mum in the world' not you X

Thanks everyone for the input, thought it may be a mixed view :)

Forgot to mention one other consideration that was at the back of my mind too (but didn't realise how soon if was until I looked at a calendar today). DD is actually off on a school trip to Iceland next month, where they'll be doing a lot of walking/hiking for a week. After last year (breaking her finger just before another school trip), she'd been told she'd be wrapped in bubble wrap by her friend to avoid any injuries this time round lol

I just let my dd go to a party at a place like that. I was nervous, but I let her go anyway. It is important for them to enjoy things like that.

My daughter had a birthday party at an ice rink with a bunch of gymmies. They had a blast. Hard to get hurt crawling along on the ice.;)

Until you trip over your friend land on your face and cut your lip open. Then you ha d to get stitches 3 days before your first meet. Happened to my ds at a homeschool skating event. He's never ice skated again, dd goes occasionally though.

Thanks everyone for the input, thought it may be a mixed view :)

Forgot to mention one other consideration that was at the back of my mind too (but didn't realise how soon if was until I looked at a calendar today). DD is actually off on a school trip to Iceland next month, where they'll be doing a lot of walking/hiking for a week. After last year (breaking her finger just before another school trip), she'd been told she'd be wrapped in bubble wrap by her friend to avoid any injuries this time round lol
Iceland???
Wow!!!!

I'm another Mum who lets my gymnasts go to trampoline parks, rock climb, jump off rope swings into our local river, ski ( although in Aussie, for elite track this is after Comp season)- just think the gymnasts miss so many things for their gymnastics that being allowed to experience other activities helps them have a more rounded childhood.

Also think they are likely to stay involved longer with gymnastics if they don't feel like all else is given up.

I try not to consider gymnastics when deciding whether another activity is too risky. If a trampoline park is too risky for my kid as a gymnast, it's too risky for my kid period.

My last sentence was taken out of context.

It was meant as a general observation. Each to parenting their own kids in a fashion suitable to their own kids.

My last sentence was taken out of context.

It was meant as a general observation. Each to parenting their own kids in a fashion suitable to their own kids.

Not meaning at all to take your words out of context, just noting that I have seen lots of posts here over the years asking "should I let my kid do xyz" with explicit or implicit reference to the impact of any potential injury on the kid's gymnastics.

I am one of those mom's who let's my kI'd ski and do other fun stuff like ice skating during the season. Actually 'lets' is not the word....we don't even think about it. We just DO. Life is too short. But gym or no gym, my child has no desire to be run over, stepped on, and potentially hurt at our zoo of a tramp park. And I fully support her on that one. Now if she was a jolly green giant in terms of height like me, she wouldn't have an issue.:D

I have no problem with skiing, rock climbing, surfing, ice skating but I am not keen on those tramp parks. I think @dunno has rather put me off !

Very true. I took the little guy indoor sky diving over the weekend for the second time (and he's already planning for his next time). Ropes course, zip line, indoor rock climbing, roller skating, even making his own Ninja Warrior course in the back yard. Ok with all that - it's just seeing and knowing too many injuries from poorly supervised trampoline parks that leads to our - team activity under coaches supervision only rule. What I've learned here just solidifies it's best rule for our family.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back